Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / New Aircraft Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I am very new to Fpsc. I have only had the trial version for 5 days now but I will be buying the full version shortly. My company has been developing for games for many years now. I hope to be able to create a nice game of my own now.

I use gmax and 3ds max 8

I added some of our aircraft into fpsc very easily. I do have some quick questions though. The dxt3 .dds images do not seem to be displaying the alpha channel on the glass. The glass seems invisible. I set the material when I exported to have an opacity channel.

Secondly. I have gmax set up to meters with the aircraft scaled correclty, but when I export the aircraft is very tiny and does not even take up a segment square. I have to export with scale set to 3000 to get a decent size. What units should be used in 3ds max and gmax to get the correct scale?

My last question is, is 512x512 the maximum texture size that can be used? Most of my planes have a few 1024x1024 but it seems I had to reduce them to 512 to get them to show properly.

Here or some images

Skyunlimited Productions
http://www.skyunlimited.net
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 12:06
Check the alpha channel on the glass is not True black. Make it a really dark greay rather than Black.
Poly count is taking the cake, as you can all see from the frame rate.

Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 19:28
Quote: "Poly count is taking the cake, as you can all see from the frame rate."

Yep, that's never a good sign...

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 20:48
What is the poly count?

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 20:53
Quote: "What units should be used in 3ds max and gmax to get the correct scale?"

100 X 100 pixels is the size of a standard floor.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:36
You need to reduce the pollies on those planes or they won't be usable, but they do look awesome

Quote: "My last question is, is 512x512 the maximum texture size that can be used? Most of my planes have a few 1024x1024 but it seems I had to reduce them to 512 to get them to show properly."

As long as your textures are a power of 2, they can be pretty much any size, just set textures in preferences to 512x512 and they will be almost limitless.

Click on the picture to order your copy today!
Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:46
Quote: "What is the poly count?"

I think over 10000...

hey man nice looking model , to bad it's to high poly. And you say that you are from a game company , right ? Can you pleas tell me what one ? Cause i'm just wondering...

Anyway i wish you good luck with fpsc it's a great software.

http://www.iluminategames.com/
freakshow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 00:24
idk, maybe my eyes are bad or somethin(cause i am very tired) but the textures kinda look a little blurry to me. And the poly count i think is way too high.
(just a lil CC)

Project:V, where something always lies in the shadows...
Formerly Crazy Al
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 00:31
The model looks great, that's for sure, but the texture seems a bit.. I dunno, undefined? It needs more sharp details. It might be due to the reduced texture size as you said.

As for the transparency issues, try exporting in DXT5-format instead. I find it handles the alpha channels much better, since it makes use of full 8-bit grayscale alphas unlike DXT3 which only uses a 2-bit alpha, me thinks.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
apache4ed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 02:11
WOW! Those models are nice. Did you create them? Have any you want to sell?

no game to tame
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed that this seemed to happen if the object is not set to dynamic, you might want to try that, but give it a high friction level so you can't move it.
sky unlimited
Years of Service
User Offline
My game company is www.skyunlimited.net
We are new to actually making games but we have worked on several and currently most of our attention goes to Microsoft Flight Simulators.

Thanks I will try doing it as dynamic and also dxt5 to see if its helps. I had the alpha working at one time when I was playing around so I am hoping it was when I had it set to dynamic by chance.

You are right the textures had to be reduced I will try 1024 again and hopefully it will show better.

Thesse files are raw and have not been optimized for FPS Creator. The polygons like you say are too high, Both planes have modeled aircraft engines though the spitfire is under the hood. The engines alone are probably 4,000 - 5,000 polygons, the rest of the planes are pretty friendly, and I have LODS that are really low.

I have a lot of WWII related models and connections to many more, and would also be willing to create custom models for a fair price. I hope this can become another outlet for my company seems like a great program and a great community.

Skyunlimited Productions
sky unlimited
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah I forgot to mention why the frames are so low. When I took the shot I am pretty sure I had the aircraft open in Gmax and probably Photoshop running to. I believe one time I was getting over 100frames per second in this level.

Skyunlimited Productions
sky unlimited
Years of Service
User Offline
The polycount on the spitfire is 15,000 polys. 10,000 for the aircraft and 5,000 for the engine.

The polygon count for the Bf109F is 18,000. 14,000 for the aircraft and 4,000 for the engine.

Both airplanes have pretty decent cockpits that could be removed to reduce the polygon count below 10,000 very easily. In addition to these I have a Mig-3, P-38, Re2005, P-51A - P-51C mustangs, Hawker Hurricane that could easily got into fspc, though they would all need optimizing. I also have a lot of futuristic aircraft modeled for a game we started in January.

Here is a webpage with our future models. We have many ships, tanks, and aircraft already made.
http://www.skyunlimited.net/omega.htm

Skyunlimited Productions
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 20:24
Anything above say 4000 is way too much for FPSC. Even for characters, I'd recommend no more than 3000 tris at max.

"Or perhaps we're just one of god's little jokes?"
apache4ed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 03:13
Hey sky unlimited I would be willing to pay for a static model of an 88 and ope; blitz, an kubel wagen, or any kind of WW2 vehicle or artillery piece. FPSC ready.

no game to tame
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really cool.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:28:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:28:41