Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Advice please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 00:34
Hi all

I have been trying to convince the Board of Directors for months to update the office network from win 98. They finnally agreed then the technician the office uses (hes a pratt btw) blocked it as he claims it may interfere with the pc bacs system.

I have no idea about pc bacs, but can anyone confirm or not weather updating the network to say 2k or xp pro could cause problems with the pc bacs system.

Thanks in advance
Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 00:38
i've never heard of a Bacs ... not even a hint, sounds to me like he just doesn't want to have to install Windows2000 on all of your office machines.

Windows98 just is not cutout for Networked PCs, and XP Home isn't either - i would strongly suggest Win2000 if not that then XP Professional.

They'll both be simple to setup network wise and user wise.
They should also improve compatibility and performance as well as backup proceedures

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 01:01
Bacs is just a way of doing automated payments between bank accounts. It's a bit dated now as it has to dial up on a modem to do it although they have finally allowed access via the internet.

As far as I know most company's bacs software works with XP and 2K. Suggest you visit website of company that you get your bacs stuff from.

Last time I installed a bacs system was on windows 95 and had a weird smart card reader thingy so that only the boss could authorize payments. I think there is also a special floppy drive adapter that does the same thing.

Hopefully everything is now done with secure passwords as otherwise you may have to get drivers for the hardware.

Tell your boss to get with the times!

Gronda, Gronda
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 01:22
Yeah, tell him that in these days, office technitions get fired

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:45:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:45:03