Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Half Life 2: E3 in-game footage

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 01:55 Edited at: 28th May 2003 03:41
has anyone seen this yet? i'm chekin it out now and i must say this engine is revolutionary! i won't even go into explaining all the features here 'cus words can't describe what i'm seeing you just gotta see this!!! i'll see if i can get a pic for those who can't download the movie it's around 519MB

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 01:57
lol your talking about the 30min trailer... does look good
i actually recompressed it after i was given it on CD and put it on Kazaa as a self playing bink - got it down to 230mb without much loss of quality hehee

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 04:26
It looks incredible, I've seen screenshots only. I just hope it's not another repeat of The Matrix Reloaded and gives us some good storyline. Storyline's how Half Life broke the mold.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 06:10
maybe i'm the only one thats eagerly waiting about another thing of HL2 ... i can't wait to get its Hammer!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 06:21
Hope it's more atmospheric than the original. I have no doubts about the storyline being excellent. And I'm sure they have Mario Banishment Rituals every week to keep the spirit away from their level designers.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2003 17:02
on the movie they where just showing off thier engine,

- characters have 15+facial musscles allowing them have a variety of facial expressions.
- wood, one of many materials in the game actually fractures and falls like the real thing depending on where it was shot.
- rag doll physics for motionless bodies (kinda like hitman2)
- different materials have different reactions to falling into the water, so like drums make a big splash, suspends for a sec then slowly sinks to the bottom.
- had so many material fx church glass window, transparent projection materials, etc

there was one fx i was thinking of how to achieve in dark basic though, if you've ever seen a fire burning away or simillar, just above the fire tip and the smoke you see some deformations in the air (heat wave), it kinda distorts your vision a bit (don't know if understand), this was also in the HL2 engine, anyone know how i can achieve this in DBC?

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 00:42
I have all the Halflife2 movies from the net and friends and all i can say is OMFG! Doom3 looks pants next to this.

Did you notice the striders distorting the entire level geometry with their gravtiy gun things? omg! The wood effects are great, they really look like, well,... wood! and the physics of everything!!! oh man! other key highlights of the demo:

-deformable terrains
-deformable building (that hugh gate thing)
-very lifelike people, see Alyx in the demo! its amazing how she looks scared when the blue tentacle things show up!
-realistic fire (best ive seen)
-realistic water (best ive seen)
-block off corridors/doors with debris to escape enemies.
-it looks like almost anything can be blown up or pulled off with the gravity gun thing.
-gauss gun seems to be back in there
-driveable vehicles in MP and single player (the dune buggy is just awesome)
-out in September 2003!!!

get them downloaded! (if you can find a link which isnt being hammered )

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Home
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 01:21
Ahhh I saw it yesterday at school, bloody brilliant!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, Halflife two, that Gman was AWESOME, and the grapple gun...just beautiful physics!

Speaking of which, where are the good gravity/physics tutorials for DB/DBPro?

AIPX Rocks
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 16:55
hmm i'm gonna have to do some research on ragdoll physics, i'm sure it's possible with db! but thing i'm trying to figure how to do is the heat wave from a fire that blurs vision

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:51
Set Ragdoll Physics On Object (1,6,1,128,0,24,2000,1000,128,40,50,85,11)

for t=1 to 15
Calculate Ragdoll Physics On Object(1,6,15,128,2000,100,128,55,impact#,impactlimb1#,impactlimb2#,sublimbs#,46,11,objects(t)
next t

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 03:34
... yeah hex Ragdoll physic is possible in DB, though you may have to sacrifice alot of the calculation depth to get it to work at the same speed. Or you could use a DLL with a physics library with it already present.

a current favourite of all professional houses is Karma ... to use this as a retail you must pay $50,000 but if you're just using it in freeware its a free library
i've been experimenting with it recently using IanM's DBP Interface, and have been getting some pleasing results. Would be interesting to know what Mathengine Inc would say about an interface of thier library for DBP. Though the hope is to translate it to working controls for a current project and license that way, technically it'll be a single title development hehee so i'll have to see what i can legally get away with

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:42:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:42:31