Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK - VS2003, VCExpress, DLL's, Sparky's DLL, .Net - Multiple Issues - Got a Sec?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 00:08
Hello All - Here's a list of things that I'm having problems with and/or questions about.

1: Is Visual Studio 2003 being "phased out" of the DarkGDK equation? Seems there are many .Net this and .Net that out there for it and the C++ version gets left in the cold. I chose C++ for speed's sake - was this a mistake? (Sparky's GDK release doesn't seem to work with VS2003 either )

2: Is it impossible to make a DLL with the DarkGDK? I'd like to use FreePascal for development vs. .Net or Vc++ as I have YEARS worth of libraries etc that would help me put projects/games together faster if I could just make a simple DLL thunker to the DarkGDK (and others) so I can call them from whatever language I wish. When I tried it doesn't see the names like "dbSync". And I don't THINK I can just translate the headers because I THINK the LIB files are Microsoft propritary - but I'm not sure.

3: VC++ Express complains of missing reference libc.lib file. The only copy I have is for VS2003 and I don't think it is supposed to work - additionally I looked online and have yet to find a solution for this.

4: None of the sample files load for me - Both my VS2003 and VC++ Express complain about the project and/or solutions files - so - frankly I'm barely treading water here.

I'm going back to DBPro until someone offers some advice/tips/tricks etc - and I'll continue researching for awhile - but so far - my spirits got dampened a bit as I've been working all day long trying to make some headway. Note: Even though I got a "Hello World" to compile in VC2003 - without Sparky's DLL as a minimum plugin - its almost pointless.

Thanks for any/all help in Advance!
Jason P Sage

Know way too many languages - Master of none
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 21:29
UPDATE: Switched to Visual Studio C++ Express 2005 - so I can use Sparky's - and for the .net this and .net that - I've asked TGC a question pertaining to C# but the response seemed to indicate that ALL DarkBasic products are heading towards simultaneous DarkGDK and DarkBasic Pro use. So I'm saying that the C++ and the C# versions appear to in that group - which is good. I was thinkning about switching to the C# one - but I'll stay in C++ for speed sake even if its less "adopted" because its a bit harder. I want to get the most speed I can so I can squeeze functionality in with as little CPU cycles as possible

Jason P Sage

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 21:46 Edited at: 5th Sep 2007 21:47
Hey Jason , I had a few issues with 2005 express, and little with 2005. I'm with you though you could not force me to go to Microsoft flats , er i mean c#.. or is that c++ ++ LOL. any ways. If you cant upgrade to 2005 list the errors you get with 2003 ill try to help. Express is more tricky IMO. So if you can, try with out it and list your out put.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 22:23
Thanx UniTech! I posted the update because I didn't want to leave a thread that wasn't "closed" properly - with some sort of resolve. SO FAR - VS2005 Express I have working ok with DarkGDK (Or is it DarkSDK if you're using C++ versus .net?)

Thanx for stepping up to the plate though! Seriously encouraging!

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yes I see the update now.. My fault. Ya I like DGDK/SDK. Out of all the competitors with this price it wins my vote so far. I will admit the users (forums) are what keeps me the most. to you all!.. well they didn't have a beer icon?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 22:47
Oh yes they do (Near the rainbow check mark)

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 00:15
The "rainbow check" is an Amiga logo... every programmer should know that

As i understand, the real name is DarkGDK for c++ and DarkGDK.Net for... well the .NET version. DarkSDK was used for the first versions and was later renamed.

Using Dark GDK.NET
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 00:27
Oh yeah.... ... I miss it

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 13:35
=Amiga? Real Programmers? I went c64 to 8088 80286

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 14:42 Edited at: 6th Sep 2007 14:51
Apple (the one with no monitor or drive), saved my data on tape.. Then all of my friends had either a commodore or Atari. So I got a pcjr 8086. Then a 286/386/486 and on up..

8088-PCjr Cartridge BASIC

That gave programmers the advantage the programming language was ready without taking up system memory, since it was in firmware, with its own address space.since it was stored in ROM, the BASIC would load very quickly (for the time). Sure beat that apple load time..

I so rememebr going nutz over 1 meg of ram.. and I though 4 k was good in my apple.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 18:22
I was coding Assembler on my C64 in '86 I think it was

Niels Henriksen
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 19:58
No idling please, or I'll get my ZX81 out!

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 20:07
Ouch, I'm the only kiddo here...

My first (own) computer was Pentium II, and when I started programming, Delphi 4 and VB5 were already out there.

@niels: 86? Gosh, you were already programming when I was born? LOL
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No idling please, or I'll get my ZX81 out!"
- oh thats just scary..
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 20:33
Quote: "No idling please, or I'll get my ZX81 out!"

You posh wotsit and you're new fangled machines.

When I was a lad we made do with a ZX80 which we made ourselves and were happy with it

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 16:15
@kBessa:
I was able to program on paper 2 years before I got my first computer.

I had tried Amstrad, ZX81, Lamda, C64, C128, Amiga (and never wanted a PC)...

Niels Henriksen
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 17:05
Commodore 64 - 25 years

Niels Henriksen
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 19:45
I have my Atari ST GFA Basic version of Tetris still

Paul.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 14:53
Wow.. You guys are as bad (and worse) than me!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 14:57 Edited at: 8th Sep 2007 14:58
count me in the oldbies... as I look at my atari 400 + Atari BASIC cartridge, circa 1981

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
lwatson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 21:20
How about my SX64
(A transluggable Commodore 64 with Integrated 1541 Diskdrive, Detachable keyboard and 5.4 in Color CRT)

Its was the cats meow my friends...

But my first actual machine was a KIM 1 microcomputer board I built from a Kit in early 1980's (I was still in grade school)

Then a Vic20
Then Commodore 64
Then Commodore 128
Then Amiga (1000, 500, 2000, 3000, 4000)
Then a boat load of PC's after commodore went belly up.

I have gotten rid of everything except my Latest PC's and that SX64

Lonnie Allen Watson
rmag.blogspot.com (blog)
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 01:45
@lwatson - WOW bro, you paid your dues. Sounds like a Cadillac C-64 bro! I still remember how to tune the 1541 motor speed! (Hairy business hehe)

I seriously wonder how things would be different if Commodore didn't go belly up - I don't know why they did - likely lack of sales - but that shouldn't of happened in my eyes - I think things would be different in the computer scene if they played their cards better.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:16:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:16:51