Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Working Complie Of VC++ express Gives tons of Errors during run????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 01:12 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2007 01:25
First of all - the VC++ compiler (when I click DEBUG) Says no Debug info - So no stepping through code I presume? DarkGDK seems to have symbols removed.

Then - using the DarkGDK sample program in the CHM help file:

I get the following errors - though the application runs. (Note I have the DarkGDK GDK_120307 Patch installed and The recommended DirectX SDK and Platform SDK: (Warning lots of error messages)

If this many Direct3D9 errors are occuring in the most simple program, how efficient is my program going to be if DirectX API is constantly dealing with these kinds of errors and handling them the best way it can? That is overhead. Hopefully this is just my PC's config or something - though I doubt it. I've followed all the help and suggestions etc.

Most disconcerting is the first error with regards to BeginScene already started. Does DarkGDK call this twice?

This is puzzling to me - and a bit frustrating admittedly.

[edit] I took this to VS2003 - Where the option to "Start DirectX Debugging" is available - and the same error messages more or less show up. Now the application runs - but something is going on that probably shouldn't. Still Stumped. (Was hoping the "Compiled without Debug symbols" thing was part of my problem - but it isn't. I can not step though code and I'm a bit worried about lots of unneccessary code being run within DirectX api because of a flaws. I hope the flaws are my own because I can fix em ... sometimes

Jason P Sage

Know way too many languages - Master of none
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
I have VC 8 working. I will say it is not the easies sdk/gdk to compile. Also note at first debug was not happening.. The samples should compile in release mode. I was able to get debug mode to work by coping the setting over from release to debug. That took lots of time but it did work.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 17:23
Strange I got an email notification that Apollo replied and his text - but I don't see it here on the thread. Regardless, this is what he wrote:

Quote: "I have VC 8 working. I will say it is not the easies sdk/gdk to compile. Also note at first debug was not happening.. The samples should compile in release mode. I was able to get debug mode to work by coping the setting over from release to debug. That took lots of time but it did work. "

Thank you for the Tip Apollo. I've had some marginal success since I wrote this. I'm SLOWLY converting my Dark Basic library of reusuable routines to C/C++ - and I've decided to just do some basics so I have a reasonable code base to start building with. I'm not really a C++ programmer - but I know the syntax more or less and have done enough Delphi/FreePascal object oriented programming to be able to say I understand and appreciate what its all about.

For now I'm just going to stick with porting code from DBPro to C++/DarkGDK - because so far I'll I have on the Display is Text output that tells me when/if something I wrote is working etc. Debug info)

I can't wait until I actually am loading media etc. and get to the level I am currently now in DBPro.

Adapt, Overcome, Conquer!
Jason

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Funny not sure why is showed Apollo?? but hey the post is there now..

I;m sorry I was not clear, its not the syntax you need to worry about. It's the compiler settings. If you need help and the forums are to slow email me
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 19:13
Weird - I got another "Notification" from apollo@thegamecreators.com - but his messages aren't posting... additionally this person implied he is not apollo and offered to help via email. Weird. I only see my posts.

Regardless, this gentleman offerred his help regarding configuration of the dev environment --- germain to this thread---

I want to assure him (or her) I am aware my main issues originally are setup and not syntax. Also - Setup wise - I can compile programs - and I did so with a sparky dll demo also (Hoo RAY!!)

As for getting it (VC++ Express) to debug properly - I'll tackle that when its paramount.

I often get by (in languages capable of compiler defines like C++ and FreePascal) by making an elaborate system of logging information to a log file, and I usually embed a nesting level "suite" of functions that makes applications run real slow (hence the need to be able to add/remove with a compiler define) but makes log files that describe the nest leve and name of each function called within my app - to crash and burns stop where they must but I end up with a log file showing...everything was ok until right HERE (etc etc).

NOW my problems are syntax - and I found a great C++ tutorial to use as a reference, I mean for pointers, I mean its like an online CLASS...UGH!!!! hahah Well its struct'd so I like it: http://www.cplusplus.com

It has been helpful. I know most of the stuff - but I forget things - and sometimes the cryptic nature of C++ makes me slow down and really analyze individual lines of code. Regardless, I program for a living - so I'll get up to speed eventually. Meanwhile - I'm swallowing my pride as I deal with learning curve and the fact that I need to convert literally 4500 lines of code to C++ in order to continue developing my game. (About half is reusable DarkBasic Lib I was writeing, and the other game specific). Fortunately - media doesn't suffer from language changes - thank goodness for little favors!

Jason P Sage

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 01:33
850 lines complete - only 3200 to go before I can continue my game forward in darkGDK - Still all "Catch up" DBPro to C++ conversion.

(Using any tools people made to aid with this just wouldn't write the best code for the task at hand on a line by line basis. Converters tend to get the job mostly done - but usually its to difficult for the conversion software to really optimize correclty or make decisions a seasoned coder would make to leverage the language the code is being translated into...)

.. just babbling .. I stop by in the forums when I come up for air.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:29:54
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:29:54