Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie to DarkBasic game design

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone ,

I am new to the DarkBasic world. I am interested in learning a language that takes advantage of serious game design. I checked out BlitzBasic, but abandoned it since it seems to be a smaller community. DarkBasic seems idea, but I\'m not sure how to begin. I have an interest in designing objects, meshes, maps and creating serious animation. The list goes on.

My experience began with Atari Basic and assembly language in the 80s. Then I bought a Commodore 64c and tried their Basic and tackled a small game in machine language(6502).

I\'ve also done some game design using both Qbasic and Visual Basic 6 (Direct X routines). I have C++ and Java knowledge as well. I am efficient in creating classes, etc.

I have had a passion for programming (especially games) since I first tried my hand at simple programming. I feel it is time to unleash the power of what I have learned and try my leap into DarkBasic. Would you guys recommend this over any other language, on the concept of pure game design?

Also is DarkBasic efficient enough to handle machine language capability. Can assembly objects be encoded using this Editor? What I\'m implying is, does it take full advantage of the hardware in terms of speed? That is why I preferrred assembly language in the early years because it broke speed barriers.

What are some good beginning map/character editors that are available to the DarkBasic audience?

I know I will probably get alot of strange responses, but the bottom line is my passion is game programming. I am soon to join the large community of game designers and hope to post a youtube video somewhere in the future.

Thanks for listening
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 00:56
Quote: "Would you guys recommend this over any other language, on the concept of pure game design?"

Yes. It does all the mundane DirectX stuff for you. You can concentrate on creating the logic and content, given that you are already a proficient programmer.

Bear in mind this is a procedural language. You won't get any classes, events, methods etc. Just functions.

Speed? Not the fastest, but if you want to make something in this lifetime, you have to compromise somewhere. Take a look at some of the stuff made with DB Pro and calculate how long it would take you to create it in assembly!

DarkDGK.net may be your preferred route. You will be more comfortable with it's syntax and environment. However, most of the plugins aren't compatible, so you're stuck with the basic language.

Good luck!

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 13:11
I read reviews, and alot of people saz other languages are better, but seriously i cant see why. maybe some mundane reason or another, but from what ive tried, i can definitaly say i prefer Darkbasic all the way.

Roborb = [0-------------] - Planning stages
andrey d
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes as BatVink said look into Dark GDK and Dark GDK .NET, since you already have experience with C++. It will be faster than Dark BASIC Pro but will be more difficult, which shouldn't be a problem for you.
Quote: "What are some good beginning map/character editors that are available to the DarkBasic audience?"
I suggest looking into the 3D Chat section of this forum, one of the stickies there should be full of people discussing 3D modelers. The most popular seem to be Blender (which I use) and Milkshape.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 00:21:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 00:21:25