Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / My untitled work in progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey fellas, just want to introduce my project to you guys --

This is a 3d game where the objective is to cross to the other side of the course/level while avoiding all the various obstacles in the way, sort of frogger style. (this is why I've used vehicles as placeholder models )

Current to-do list:

Change player collision with walls/blocks to sliding / smoother collision.
Create a proper animated player model.
Create more types of obstacle than the simple back and forth object.
Create other types of level scenery instead of just blocks.
Create "power-up" type items to be "picked up" that may have various effects to assist in passing the level or give extra lives / etc.
Create more maps and populate them with obstacles.
Create a proper sky / environment outside the matrix.
Create a title screen, track player lives, possibly a score system.
Probably more I am forgetting.

Heres a couple screenshots of the game play, and attached is the current build and media (placeholder media, only a small amount of it is my own work).

Comments / suggestions / criticism appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jon E
Years of Service
User Offline
I forgot to mention that you can turn the character / control the camera by holding down the right mouse button.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 07:26
Looks quite good so far by the screens. Alot of work seems to have gone into it and its a good job, looking foward to seeing more

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 00:39 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 00:51
Nice thing you got there . I like it somehow. Keep up the good work.

EDIT:

And an small note on collision. If you're using DBPro's inbuilt collision commands, then you should know that those are just bad. Go over to sparkys collision plugin instead. It may be a bit harder, due to the fact that it will allow you to use collision groups and other things like that, but is faster, gives better collision (the inbuilt commands have trouble with some things) and is better in many other ways to. However, since you seem to have the trial version I don't know if it can be used. Buy DBPro.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 02:51 Edited at: 12th Jul 2007 02:57
Looking pretty good so far. Keep it up

@Mr. X: I actually figured out how to do a pretty good sliding collision system with the built in commands. But yes, I must agree Sparky's Collision DLL is great (however Metal Runner does use the built in ones)

EDIT: Just played the demo, but I'm afraid I was never able to start . It ran at 1 FPS for most of the time, with an occasional 2 second speed up. But still, I like the music and the font. Looks great, and I hope that the gameplay is the same.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 11:51
Quote: "@Mr. X: I actually figured out how to do a pretty good sliding collision system with the built in commands. But yes, I must agree Sparky's Collision DLL is great (however Metal Runner does use the built in ones)"

Ok, thats good. I mostly thoght of how the inbuilt commands hates to deal with objects with strange angles (like 33 degrees on the y-axis and it get stuck). But still, I like sparkys more.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 14:43
Nice. Level 1 ran at 30 fps and level 2 at 10 fps. The blank levels ran at the full 60. Perhaps you could try reducing the number of polygons in the mines?

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
or using some simple maths based collision?
from what i can see, your levels look pretty angular
so simple bounds checks would make for a very fast accurate sliding collision

or use sparky's lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:20:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:20:40