Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / collision doesn't work

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 02:24

Why Doesn't the collision for plain number 2
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 02:32
You didnt create it. You go from making plane 1 to plane 3.

And please make your questions a bit more detailed in the future, or at least finish the sentence.

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 02:44
plain number 2 does exist.
its on line 78.
Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 02:53
oops
I meant plain 20000!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 03:47
More information. What is happening? What do you expect to be happening?

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 04:00
Well, I followed Your tutorial "the newcomer's guide to creating fps's" and I followed through until "chapter 5 part IIII:ground collision", which I tried to do but diddnt work.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 05:47
Ah.

Dont follow that tutorial's collision code. Its wrong, and was a quick fix until I had the time to write a better version. Look up sparky's dll.

In fact tomorrow Ill remove that tutorial completely, its extremely flawed.

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 06:23
How do I mak "sparky's dll" work?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 07:33
You need to show some effort here. Have you even searched the forum for sparky's dll? Its not rocket science. We're not going to spoon feed you everything.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 07:48 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 08:00
Doh!

I answer a post on the other board and you've posted it here as well! I'm tempted to lock both of them for being a pest!

Instead I'll copy my reply from the other post and lock that one...

[Copy]

Is this all your own program or is it a cut 'n paste job with bits of code from other people? I find it difficult to believe that horrendous unindented mix of upper and lower case is by one person.

If it is a cut 'n paste job, then do you understand all of it? In particular, the really basic programming stuff - like the difference between integers and floats...

If not, then my guess is that we would be wasting both your time and ours telling you how to implement something else you won't understand.

I know your join date isn't a 100% reliable guide on when you started programming with DB, but assuming that it is, then you've been programming in DB less than 2 weeks and you have already covered Limbs, Meshes and Intersect Object - as well as most of the other 3D commands.

Pretty amazing going that... since when I started, I spent the first few months learning the commands and writing example snippets for them in 2D - before even looking at 3D!

I for one would be happier helping someone who has learned properly - starting with the basics, rather than someone who is just bodging advanced stuff together without knowing what the majority of it does (because they will have given up and disappeared a month or so from now).

TDK_Man

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 07:57
I tried to use it, and downloaded it, but I dont kow how to use it with the compiler.

Im not trying to be spoon fed...
sory for being such a hassle
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 08:09
Quote: "sory for being such a hassle"

You're not being a hassle, you are just wasting all of our time - if you aren't serious about learning DB. If you are, you are going the wrong way about it.

You still haven't answered my question. Do you fully understand what your program does?

Do you know what is potentially wrong with this:

EnemyHP#=5000

We see lots of new people appear on these forums, start learning by writing an FPS or RPG without learning the basics, get into trouble and give up. We never see them again so all the time we spent answering their problems was just wasted.

Those that start small, learning the basics a bit at a time, learn game logic and collision in small 2D programs 9 times out of 10 succeed and go onto writing an FPS months or even years later - not after a couple of weeks.

So, I know I'm being blunt, but sorry, it's the truth - why should I waste my time on you if you aren't taking it seriously?

TDK_Man

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 18:01
Your rirght TDK.
Gee... I guess I started too fast. I thought making an fps was really good for a beginer to do. I am absolutely seriously trying to learn DBPro. I really dont want to waste any ones time TDK, but could we start over and have you teach me the basics (as you said above)

I will try to give You my full effort.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. IM doing other things too.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 21:55 Edited at: 9th Jul 2007 22:29
Quote: "could we start over and have you teach me the basics"

Sure - no problem. So back to your original OP question.

Quote: "Why Doesn't the collision for plain number 2"

What you should do is split all the parts of your main program down into separate tasks - like the collision problem - just write small programs which use the commands you are struggling with.

Here's a link to an introduction to collision (Tutorial 10):

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

If you follow that tutorial and understand how it works, you can change the objects to plains and check that it works. With the new knowledge you have, you can apply it to your main RPG game. (This new knowledge will also be useful if you decide to switch to a plug-in like Sparky's later on too).

The same goes for all the other parts of your RPG - just create lots of small snippets that do the same thing - but without the hassle of the rest of the program.

And, if you can't get something working, you can then post the small snippet on here and explain what's going wrong - rather than the whole program which most people won't be bothered trying to figure out.

TDK_Man

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 22:27
Thank you
Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 04:00
Your tutorial is great TDK!

I also took your advice and wrote several small programs involving collisions and it worked. But when I tried it on this program, You just push the wall away.
could You explain to me why this happens.
Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 04:01
oops forgot to diplay the code.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 05:16 Edited at: 10th Jul 2007 05:18
Im not sure of your level of programming experience, however I will contribute to your project by heavily cleaning up the layout and adding a few features for debugging to point you in the right direction.

The neater it is, the less of a headache it will be for you and anyone to help you get started. We can all see your eager to get started and can tell your trying in some ways and skipping in others.
no real drama with that however yes listen to TDK, he is trying to show you how to fly on your own power and wings!

Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 05:33
thank you
Hunter H111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 05:42
just solved my problem
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 06:16
excellent mate, good luck to you

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 19:38 Edited at: 10th Jul 2007 19:40
This is all my fault, someone should delete that FPS tutorial I posted a few years back. Im not sure why everyone (even experienced users) said it was good because it really isnt. TDK if you could lock that thread that'd be great. Hopefully some day Ill finally finish the damned new version of the tutorial (which so far is a lot better I assure you), but trying to run a company, working part time, and programming my own project is taking up all my time. It seems once I finish one thing and get some time to work on it, something else sprouts up the next day and I put it to the side.

The newer tutorial, so far, is directed at a better educated audience in programming, which should stop newcommers from thinking making FPSs is easy, as it focuses extremely on getting a very solid engine working.

<edit>

Heres the post TDK. (or any other mods available)

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 23:26
Quote: "TDK if you could lock that thread that'd be great."

Done!

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 00:20:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 00:20:40