Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Optimization issue...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure whats going on.. but heres what it is.

Running my WIP RTS Engine, I get 60 frames per second.. (Capped) with 6/1000s of a second processing time to get each frame up on the screen. Pretty decent.

Till I open my NVidia control panel and set the option from

"Let the 3D application decide."

to

"Use my preference emphasizing: Balanced"

Not only does this thing give me 2x anti-aliasing BUT it also reduces my frame processing to 1/1000s of a second. Thats more than a marginal increase, not to mention with the added bonus of anti-aliasing.

What setting is the DarkGDK engine using that causes it to be 6 times laggier than when I let the NVidia driver override it?

I'm using the 6800 GT with the latest NVidia drivers for Windows Vista Ultimate.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 16:39
My GUESS is MAYBE the AntiAlias is software controlled in DarkGDK, it really is a math algorythm after all pertaining to various "dots" and colors sharing a pixel. And calulating how best to show "N" pixels in one square etc.

I'm GUESSING the increase is because NVidea has a hardware way to handle it for you.

JUST a GUESS. (I know I like my NVidea Card )

Know way too many languages - Master of none
Daggeth
Years of Service
User Offline
No, its definitely not that. Even when I turn AA off in the control panel, the FPS is still racing.

It just depends on whether I've yanked control of the rendering process or not from DarkGDK.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 23:33
Do you think its possibly some sort of "Software" versus "Hardware" implementation? Like perhaps DarkGDK uses its own or uses some Microsoft DirectX "rendering" code that NVidea can do with hardware somehow?

Interesting to say the least. Nice tidbit for your game's help file: NOTE to NVidea Users: Better frames rates: Step 1...etc

Know way too many languages - Master of none

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:23:09