Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / will DarkGDK have a help system like DarkBasic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a newbie and to many C++ gurus out there this may sound like a pain in the butt, but i feel it would be tremendously helpful to have not only syntax description but also code snippets illustrating the use of each command. Will that be possible in the future?
Daggeth
Years of Service
User Offline
Since all commands behave exactly like their DBPro versions, you can read the DBPro help files.. download the trial version.
Mmjack
Years of Service
User Offline
I Think there are Helpers in visualC# Atleast in the 1 ime using If u type oDB iT Comes up with a list of them and the syntax they are using in
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 16:25
I think that samples won't come in the near future - but if you can Read DBPro, and know how to things like looping, if statements etc in your prog language of choice - you should be able to translate most DBPro snippets pretty readily.

Jason P Sage

Know way too many languages - Master of none
i cant believe its not fabio
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess you are right, i didn't realize how similar the commands were to DBPro, i just thought it would have been handy to have a little enhancement to the help file included with Dark GDK. I guess the help system within Dark Basic kinda spoiled me :-P
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 15:18
If you search the DBP forums, you'll notice a few (undesirable) coments on the DBP help system.

It's bugged, missing vital info and files, source examples don't work or are corrupt, the list goes on. Weve been prommised a beter help for ages now,(a mighty Oak could grow quicker), still waiting.

I'd suggest purchasing the Hands On DBP books, there basicaly what the help should be. from what I know DarkGDK has GDKin front of the DBP commands. eg. GDKWait Key instead of Wait Key

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
i cant believe its not fabio
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd suggest purchasing the Hands On DBP books, there basicaly what the help should be. from what I know DarkGDK has GDKin front of the DBP commands. eg. GDKWait Key instead of Wait Key"

As a programming newbie, often i'm forced to take examples literally as well as coding styles, which leads me to try similar experiments... unfortunately, thou i was under the same impression initially, the adding of GDK in front of each command doesn't make up for syntax modification from Basic to C++...

I haven't tried yet, but i'm wondering if those code translators out there really work... might worth a try at this point.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 14:49
Um - I have DarkGDK - and ... welll - I've never seen a code translator work well enough where you want to keep the code for more than a reference if you get stuck on a specific syntax.

My current project is DBPro - but I've played with DarkGDK enough to know that 1: It works pretty good from my testing which isn't close to complete. 2: Seems very smooth 3: Is ALOT of work to convert existing projects.

I'm currently enjoying the RAPID development of DBPro in my game and with that its still a lot of work and compiles pretty fast (I compile and compile and compile...) In C++ - it takes a bit longer (for me) to get things working and compiling takes longer - so - slower development - but I'm still a newbie here for this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:25:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:25:22