Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / hhheeelllppp!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:35
help ! ok so u got that part i have just got dark basic and i have wanted it for years coz i wanna make games i did not think you made thew game in code bit silly i no but i don't no any code i have done the Tutorials and guess what i still don't no so could any one help me or give me so easy codes to make for my self and try change!?!?! please i would be very greatful! and how do i make cool shoot em ups???
thanks to every one that replys
woodstock
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:44
"excitement" is not what you should be exercising right about now, it should be "patience" 'cus making a cool fps takes a lot of it. my advice 4u is to go back and hit the books and tutorials that db came with and step by step you'll get there

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:45
oooo k

Don't the Tuts say how to make a FPS?

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:48 Edited at: 29th May 2003 21:50
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/retro_entries.php is a link to the retro games comp. entries, such as Space Invader and Pac-Man remakes, all of the entries come with the source code (and I suspect the media needed for compiling the source code).

Apart from that go to http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592000096/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-3769649-8334840 to review/purchase the DB/DBP beginner's programming guide book, it's brilliant for learning DarkBASIC/DarkBASIC Professional.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Woodstock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:50
thanks and what does FPS mean i am a n00b to this help me thanks so far any other help would go down well

the goverment is another word for saying "better than you"
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:51
FPS = First Person Shooter, e.g. Doom III, Unreal Tournament 2003.

Woodstock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:51
one other thing i got matter free and i have install it and all the rest but what does it really do all it says is that it has more pics etc how do i use them

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 21:54
Do you have the demo version of Dark Matter Woodstock? I've just had a fiddle with the demo version of Dark Matter and can only view them. (Never saw a button/feature to export them out of Dark Matter for personal use).

Woodstock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 22:02
no i have the real thing coz the box of dark basic say "free dark basic matter worth £29.99" or somthing like that i no it's not a demo coz i asked! and i thought FPS ment that as thats all i play

Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 22:07
Oh ok Woodstock, try playing about a bit more, looking at he documentation supplied, or wait for a response of someone here who knows.
Or secret option #4 go to http://www.mywestsomerset.com/forumsearch.html and utilise the search facility there to search the DarkBASIC forums.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 22:29
FPS can mean 2 things-

Frames Per Second (look in the tutorials to find what that means)

First Person Shooter

You're gonna have to learn the details of putting a program together, and the basic principles, before you start anything. Then just learn the commands as you go. I recommend starting small, but I know I didn't listen to that advice when I started, and although I didn't finish my project it was still fun.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Woodstock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 21:32
ok fair enought any ideas on how i can start small??? :-s

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 22:17 Edited at: 31st May 2003 22:19
The tutorials! It's as small as your gonna get. Go into the help file then look in the tutorials menu (if you have regular DB, not Pro) and go through them, its really quite easy. You may not get all of them straignt away, but you will get the first few at least. Its not a fast process, learning how to code, but it's fun getting results so stick at it .

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 23:18
I think the forum should automatically delete any posts which contain the word "codes" or move them to the newcomers forum. It would save the mods a lot of time.

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
aprilfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 00:33
wow someone who knows less than me... I'm so happy...ahhhhh...

So yah try the tutorials especially the sliding collision one, many of my first games came out of that example... Those were the days...

The Great Schism.- The Earths reaction to Heavons invasion.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 01:00
Heh. That takes me back to a couple of years ago on the DB forum. No-one else remember "da codez"? Sniff. We were so young and innocent...

Cheers

Ps. 12009912B Beta version of yellow tank. Only rotates 180 degrees. But fires blue 94838. Not to be mixed up with 12009912A, which is Alpha. And doesn't rotate. Or is yellow.

Sigh. And I was originally going to write a game about them...

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 02:26
Da Codez?

Oh, someone who remembers! Man, that was awesome...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 02:39
theres a map+textures that i made on my site if you want the fps code is by josh klint(sp?) the person who made c shop, just click on the level at the bottom of the page then download it, this is suitable for all versions of db, dunno about db pro though

http://www.darkcoder.co.uk/download.htm

l8er

----- dark coder -----
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 09:38
Y'know, he may also want to dig up a copy of QBasic to go over the really easy stuff that is standard to most BASICs. GW-BASIC is good, if you want to go old-school.

It is not officially abandonware, but MS does not seem to be shooting folks for posting QB on the net (I'm too lazy to dig out the disks that came with my old 286, 486, or p1, so I just DL it).

QB 4.5 is the best total version.

Almost anything that you learn in QB will carry over to DB, except for some of the file system stuff, and obviously the 3D commands.

You may have a little trouble running it with 2000/XP (I didn't, but I am told otherwise by others). If you do, try to hunt up the WOWEXEC program that they use to run 16-bit DOS and Win 3.1 apps.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 01:04
Jeeze no one uses my easy sliding collision in the code snippets section do they. Man! I thought people would love it how I set up sliding collision in two commands...ah well

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 01:13
Problem is it only works with 2 objects, not more, so it's effectively useless for real games. I mean, it's a nice snippit, and it's good collision, but it's not what most people need...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:31