Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why does my little text rpg I'm designing freeze?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 23:36 Edited at: 29th May 2003 23:50
Being new to DBPro but having used the original DB a little, when I ordered DBPro I figured it would be much the same as DB, and in my case it works much the same. I'm trying to design a text rpg for all of those people who used to play those sorts of games (like MUDs). My first attempt at it isn't going so great. I understand that this probably won't be the actual program, I'm just using this to develop skill.

Anyway, the program won't even run. It will make an icon in my task bar (only an icon, no title or even the button-thing you click on to restore the window), just an icon next to the DBPro window. Then it freezes my computer until I alt-f4 the program closed. Even then, to close it completely I have to go into the task manager and end the process.
I was thinking it could be something to do with not setting something I need to routinely set. Any ideas?
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 00:48
Hmm. That's weird enough. When I copied the source to a different file and ran it, it worked exactly as I intended it to. I am now completely stumped. I tried changing the exe name under the project it is in, and DBPro froze when I tried to compile and run. Hmm.
Wolverine
Years of Service
User Offline
It worx fine on my machine. Do you have updated DarkBasic Pro to version 4.1? Also, make sure you have the latest DirectX and graphic drivers installed.
sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 01:07
ive heard this somewhere before (copying to a seperate source file and suddenly it works)

i think maybe dbpro has a few errors with saving and sometimes corrupts your files, so putting the source in a new file fixes it (just a guess)

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 02:15
I have had that problem a few times, I don't know if it's the editor or the compiler. Make sure you have the latest version of the editor, it is not updated with the compiler patches. I haven't noticed it for quite a while and think one of the ide updates fixed it.

Ide updates http://www.darkbasicpro.com/ide.php

Patch 4.1 http://www.darkbasicpro.com/patch4v1.php
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:41
I see. I have updated to v4.1, but I didn't update the IDE.

Since I already have a thread running, and to not contribute to forum clutter, I will go ahead and post my next question to this thread.

I have improved upon my program, but now I'm coming across a new error. I am trying to do a yes-or-no if statement. The code is attached. The error is in line 48, where it says, "#100002: Types '0' and '$$8' are incompatible at line 48."

I have left the remarks intact so the lines will still be in the same place.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 13:14
This works.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 13:20 Edited at: 31st May 2003 13:20
Also you might want to add something so you can quit, because I pressed Esc to quit and it messed up.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 15:46
i made a text rpg type thing when i first started in db, the thing with the vampire was done by my mate and it is really random. the inventory system doesn't really work either and a guy asks you the same question.

ARE YOU A 3D MODELER??? IF SO WE NEED YOU!!!
EMAIL mynameisnoneofyourbuisness@hotmail.com to work on the new Star Strike project!!!
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 17:52
MasterInsan0 is it working for you now? You had two ='s when you should of only had one =.

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 22:48
Yes, it is working. I guess I'm too used to C++ and NWN Scripting, where you have to use == as the way to check for equality(if a == b blah happens).
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 22:49
Yeah, I was used to that in UO Scripting as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:23:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:23:18