Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Adware on my computer! Help! (I get popups here!)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 02:53
Well I didnt think it was an issue, because I was getting popups where there usually is popups, but when I got one here (a very bad one, very innappropriate) I knew something was up. I got an adware/spyware remover and it found and deleted around 1700 files. I still get popups here!

Someone help! Will it work if I delete IE Explorer? I have version 6.0. If I delete internet explorer then re-install it may that help?

Please help me!

RPGamer
Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a similar problem , I searched using google one day and somehow it redirected the search to a site which then dloaded a dialler exe which was called the first word of what I searched for!!! it added links in every conceivable location and in the registry think it was called 'eros' or something. I cleared all entries in registry ,deleted any traces i could manually find and tried all the anti spyware/popup programs on the go and ended up resorting to a format cause the little bugger was still there. To this day I still dont know how it got there/stayed there. So to conclude ,you may have a prob

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 03:09
a few things i use to prevent this.

disable cookies to a manual setting

spybot search n destroy

Grisofts AVG

online housecall

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 03:59
Spybot: Search & Destroy is all you'll ever need. It finds and deletes all the stuff on your computer, immunizes you to loads of it, installs a bad-page blocker (which has never gone wrong with me, never stopped me from viewing a page I wanted to but stops lots of popups), and also comes with lots of useful tools like a secure shredder. And it's free (but donate if/when ya can).

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 04:00
Oh, and no, bots aren't related to IE. They'll be lurking somewhere in your system files... ActiveX can be nasty... Spybot has basically rendered me immune to those (not common adware though, I stil have to delete it with the S&D tool every week).

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 15:00
Ah I thought I had it when I dled Spybot, deleted a bunch then used immunize, but I got a nasty popup when I came here this morning. Isnt there any other ways

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 19:30
Very odd... very very odd... it's always cleared everything out with me.

Clear your cookies? Not sure it'd help though...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 19:46 Edited at: 30th May 2003 19:46
Try getting win optimizer suite from:

http://www.ashampoo.com/default.htm

Go in the startup turner and disable entries that you think are doggy (ie. aconti or bargins) but dont disable systray or the win.ini files. If that dont work, clear history, temp internet files and cookies.

Failing that, get a firewall proggie.

hope this helps

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:30
Is adware legal?

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:55
Yeah. Companies make too much money off of it. No government would try to stop them. It's like stopping telemarketing... some people are trying, but it's an uphill fight.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:41
Spybot: Search and Destroy is the only tool you'll need.

You probably still get popups b/c there are many bots designed to run on startup, or they changed your homepage to their download site. Make sure your homepage is not a bot site (I use google for my homepage), and run msconfig to turn off anything with a weird name (Rundll32, SaveNow, CW, Cyn), anything that looks like a windows application that doesn't have a full name, turn off.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:47
Spybot has its own tool to disable that stuff at startup if you run it in advanced mode, no need for msconfig .

Google is the best for me because it's useful, it loads quickly, and it's free from those 'float adds' that sites such as Yahoo have.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 23:05
Get one of those personal firewalls, be carefull as some programs can trick the firewall into thinking you allowed the spyware to connect to the internet so check the firewall rules occasionally.

Run windows update and ditch internet explorer.

Don't blindly install shareware or freeware, search and read licence aggrements before you install. Doing a google search might reveal usefull information about any spyware/adware included with the program.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:40:12