Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help, 3D line of sight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've looked at every command listed in the help, (DB lite) and found nothing for line of sight or point finding. For instance, in a shooter, when you shoot, the gameing engine has to somehow decide who, or what wall surface, the crosshair was on.

I'm looking for a command or trick to decide where in 3D space a point is in the camera. Like to find what I just shot at or what bad guy is next to my cross-hair, I would think it would be a simple function.

Thnks
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:45
Hmmm, well dblite might be your problem, does it have as many commands ?? if not, that may be your answer

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 23:29
i think i understand what your trying to do, you want to do it the easy way and make a instant bullet instead of a moving bullet. well db enhanced comes with a line of sight command but it only works with static objects and i'm pretty sure the badguys in your game are gonna be moving about and thus will need object collision boxes probably.

i take it your making a 1st person shooter (u need a crosshair) to do this the easy way your gonna need a line of sight object (like a thin plane) to be placed directly at your camera position and face outwards and hidden so no matter which direction your camera is facing the line of sight object is always in the same position infront of the camera and pointing outwards for a far distance. then all you do is detect collision between this los object and any enemies (use a rotating object collision box for this) could work

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
Lord Helmet
Years of Service
User Offline
thnks, I'll try that. In the mean time I've already orderd DBPro, mabey that will help to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:40:12