Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Transparency contradictions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 16:48 Edited at: 17th Jul 2007 17:20
Seems to be a bit of confusion out here on the forums about transparency.

For GDK, what is the correct method or methods to use on a texture to archive transparency.

Will png with the alpha channel work?

do i need to use dbSetObjectCull ?

Do I need to use no alpha channel and set a mask color and usedbSetImageColorKey

does "Setting the transparency to one will ensure the object does not draw the transparent colour during final rendering." mean dbSetObjectTransparency (55,1); is on
and
dbSetObjectTransparency (55,0); is off?

What i get from that help files is this..

I make a texture, png, jpg, bmp, doesn't matter. And set some color say 255,0,255 in that image. Than set my color key like so
dbSetImageColorKey (255,0,255)
than I use this line to show it in my object.
dbSetObjectTransparency (55,1);

I have tried this and a lot of experimentation with no luck.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 11:42
Quote: "Will png with the alpha channel work?"

yes

Quote: "do i need to use dbSetObjectCull ?"

no

Quote: "Do I need to use no alpha channel and set a mask color and usedbSetImageColorKey"

no

Quote: "dbSetObjectTransparency (55,1); is on
and
dbSetObjectTransparency (55,0); is off?"

yes

Quote: "I make a texture, png, jpg, bmp, doesn't matter. And set some color say 255,0,255 in that image. Than set my color key like so
dbSetImageColorKey (255,0,255)
than I use this line to show it in my object.
dbSetObjectTransparency (55,1);"

that should work

Quote: "I have tried this and a lot of experimentation with no luck"

Please keep on trying, starts are not easy. Also it would be a good idea to search the forums exhaustively. All answers to DBPro can be applied to DGDK as well.
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 16:03 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 18:45
Quote: "Quote: "Will png with the alpha channel work?"
yes"

Ok Ill do this method. As you said search, well I did 60% says yes use a alpha channel 40 % no. Can anyone give my a 100%?

PNG

R(red)
G(green)
B(blue)
A(alpha)

as far as I know.. Could be wrong. I can save with or with out Alpha. Like I said lots say this will work others say it will not. For me both fail. Should i be using non or interlaced? By alpha does that refer to a channel, or just the absents of pixels. (checkered look in photoshop) My transparency is always white.

Quote: "All answers to DBPro can be applied to DGDK as well."
- In a perfect word without bugs this would be true I have seen things work in one and not the other. Although I understand what you mean thx for the reply.
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
I saved for web with photoshop CS, and made sure it was 24 bit with transparency on. That did the trick.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:30:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:30:00