Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / directional vs point?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 18:17 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 18:19
Here is a shot of directional vs point lights. Why is the floor not lit for point? The range exceeds that of the room. For that matter why no lighting on the ceiling, or pipes? Is there some texture property I need to be aware of?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:11 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 21:15
Point lighting works by interpolating the colour value across a triangle poly. If your floor is not split, or tescalated with smaller triangles, your floor will not show proper light illumination, see the following diagrams to see what I mean.

In the first diagram, this may represent what your floor comprises of now:

Where as this is what a point light floor must look like:

If you adjust your floor to consist of more triangles, your point light should work more realistically.

[EDIT] This thread may interest you also. Something I did ages ago to demonstrate a torch effect using a light.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94793&b=1

Paul.

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 22:39 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 22:47
Thxs, this certainly explains it..

Question?

Would additional geometry not slow down the engine? Or does the engine see this plane as two tri's for rotation and other calculations? If I add that much to my floors and it is gong to caculate that mesh, I would expect problems.. Am I wrong?

I'm also to assume this is why my spot light show big triangles?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 23:29
There will be a small slowdown on adding further tescalation to your floors, but unless you do this for using spotlights, the only other alternative is to resort to lightmapped textures. Lightmapping increases memory usage because of texture storage, but your floors only need to map the textures across a few triangles rather than many triangles required for spotlights.

What I do suggest is that you only add extra triangulation and cap the FPS rates until you feel that both spotlights and fps are balanced. It's a playing game I'm afraid, and it also depends on GPU performance as well. This was the reason why I tried to balance out the triangle size, and falloff angle of the torch light in an attempt to make the torch beam look realistic.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 00:30:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 00:30:15