Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Visual DarkBasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 15:02
I have blue2, and the Rainbow Editor is OK, But dont you get the feeling that it was never fully completed.

thats why im making my own version.

I will post some Screenshots Below

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 15:04 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 15:04
This one is a main screenshot, I've completley changed the menu, i mean dont you think there should be an option to compile?

I've included as many Gadget properties as i can think of as well

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 15:05 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 15:06
And what about coding in the App, you would proberley need events for that

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 15:07 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 15:07
Im also going to add a few more gadgets which i've done including a File Explorer and a Media Stream gadget

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 15:10 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 15:23
If you can think of anythink else that was missing from Rainbow, then please let me know, as i want to improve it as much as possable, And ill post the EXE when completed

Im already working on an ImgList Editor compatable with Toolbar Buttons, and the abbility to set Menu Item Images/Checked and Popup Menus

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 16:05
Looks cool, can it read back the generated GUI code so that you can continue working on it at a later date?

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 16:20 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 16:29
you can save it as a .VDB file, (.Visual Darkbasic), you can load this file later. You can also load the Rainbow format, (.gui), i did this as I have some forms I made in rainbow which I converted into .vdb to continue editing them.

the RainbowUI is ok, but i got fed up of only being able to do half in rainbow, exporting to code, and then editing it further, at which point you can not load it back in rainbow, This fixes that proplem for me.

One thing i still need to fix is that it always shows all the GadgetProperties, i need to change it so it only shows properties which apply to that gadget.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 16:23
Quote: "you can save it as a .VDB file, (.Visual Darkbasic), you can load this file later. You can also load the Rainbow format, (.gui), i did this as I have some forms I made in rainbow which I converted into .vdb to continue editing them."

Excellent, with this flexibility you should keep people happy

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 14:44
wow! I love this already

[center]
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 18:46
Thanks.

I had to remove the "NetMeeting Gadget" as it was messing up, but the "File Explorer" and "Windows Media Streamer" are both working fine, i've also added ImgBoxes, RichEdit's and Flash Panels.

Ho yes, I've added the ability to attach gadgets to indivisual Tabs using AttachGadget, but this has messed up my loading and saving for now, but ill fix that later.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 20:37
This is gonna be great MSon! I can see that your a fantastic coder, and I can see this going very far. If you decide to sell this, don't doubt that your gonna make some cash

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 20:50
BlueGUI has often left me feeling like many of the things I do are only 'mostly' finished, due to lacking controls in BlueGUI. I know exactly what you are saying when you say it was almost completed

The list is incredibly long of what would be needed in such an application, but I know I would want and need the following:

Web Browser gadget
Image/Canvas Gadget (These must be as fast as blue's to be even remotely useful)
Window event triggers (resize, minimize, close, etc.)
Window Handles
Color Picker
Open/Save Dialog
Message Dialog (yes/no/cancel/ok etc.)
Menus
Toolbars
Ability to raise events/triggers via code.

A few questions that I have:
Will you process everything in a per-loop instance, or is it event driven? If it is in a per-loop manner, do you have an event stack which can be iterated?

These may sound like strange questions, but are crucial to the viability of your GUI being used in real-time tools. If it is processed on a per-loop instance, and only 1 event per-loop, the chance of missing events is unacceptable when framerates drop. If it is processed in the background or dumped into a stack, events will not be missed. (This is one of BlueGUI's main flaws)

Visit the Wip!
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 23:51 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 00:33
Thanks guys

Xenocythe
It did cross my mind, But there is still quite a bit to do including finishing my ImportFRM(File$) Function to import a VisualBasic .FRM File
Not all VisualBasics Gadgets are in mine 'yet' so it may not be 100%.
And i still want an Export to DarkBasic Source option which i need to do.

Alquerian
Its made in DBPro using the Blue DLL so you still need it, as its only suppose to be a replacement for Rainbow.
Window event triggers (resize, minimize, close, etc.) - Will Do
Window Handles - Unsure what you meen??????
All the other gadgets are already there as its Blue's DLL
The additional gadgets are created through DarkBasic Functions

Event Discriptions...
If you have a gadget called Gadget1 Then the "Events" are basically functions which are called automatically, named as so

Gadget1_OnClick()
Gadget1_OnOver()
Gadget1_OnVisible()
ect, ect

You can call these function anywhere, But for example The OnClick one will automatically be called if you click on Gadget1
Hope this makes sence

And if ou look at this pic, Collapable and Stackable Windows
so you can hide a section if/when you want

Ive also got a TaskBarIcon DLL i want to add, (With Baloon Text and Icons) so you may need a few more DLL's to use this, But dont warry as other than Blue, There all free

Its still a few weeks till i will post a demo, but it will include several example .VDB Files including a Calculator, WebBrowser, NotePad, Digital Clock, AVI Player and Mini IPTV System

Attachments

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 02:18
Oh My GOD! I can finally make my own installer

[center]
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 02:22
Ahh I was a little confused, I thought this was a gadget creation/handling dll for DBP, not a Rainbow replacement. Well a Rainbow replacement is more than welcome also! I hate rainbow with a passion, it has several bugs that annoy me. Good to see you have this in the works!

Visit the Wip!
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 15:08
Clever, I like this, excellent job. Would look good embedded in an IDE, CodeSurge?

The Innuendo's, 4 Piece Indie Rock Band
http://theinnuendos.tk:::http://myspace.com/theinnuendosrock
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 15:38
I've got Syntax Highlighting to a Blue's RichText Box, It needs some work to speed it up but I want to make this whole programme in DBPro if possable.

If I can't speed up my Syntax Highlighting then who knows, maybe CodeSurge

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 15:53
If the code is read only, perhaps you could use a html control to display the formated syntax. It might be easier than trying to apply highlighting to a richtext box.

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 16:01
It's Read/Write, Plus through a RichTextBox i can detect the command under the mouse and selector for F1 help like in DarkBasic's IDE.

Edit: Wasn't there a BlueIDE aswell?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 16:15
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 16:31 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 16:35
That looks cool, will try it out later
Im at work at the moment

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 18:07
Great work so far. Raibow's nice, but it's too hard to work with for my liking. I can't tell from your screenshots, but do you use panels for all gadget-types, like rainbow does, or do you actually show one of the gadgets on the visual panel? The latter would be a nice improvement.

Also, do you happen to be using Cryptoman's systray.dll (attached)?

It was never officially finished, so if you have another dll, you might be better off using that, but it works really well for me.

If so, here are some functions I wrote that make the system tray icon and menu work as if they were native to BlueGUI (same event sytem, mostly):

Just call 'postTrayEvent(iconhandle,iconmenuhandle,memblocknum)' before every 'getEvent'. memblocknum is the memblock-number of the memblock associated with the tray's menu.

-Xol

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 18:15 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 18:44
Hi Xolatron

My system creates the Gadget you select, i know what you meen as when you create a Scrollar in rainbow, it just gives you a panel, Creating the actual gadget looks better aswell i think

And i Already have a "SystemTray DLL" which i have prepared ready to include. You can have an Icon, Read events like on over on click, ect, right click menu alwell as standard helptext & balloned help text with optional Image Icon, (Like a warning icon)
This is what it looks like

If there are any desent DLL's out there to add Windowed Components like this then please let me know and I will add any that are compatable

Attachments

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 06:02 Edited at: 26th Jul 2007 06:02
Quote: "Edit: Wasn't there a BlueIDE aswell?"

Yes. (with BlueIDE2 still in heavy development)

I really like the concept and the fantastic work you've done so far.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing this project advance.

Regards,

LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 04:00
Nice job, keep up the good work and it looks amazing.
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 05:56
Ok, so if someone buys this, do they have to own darkbasic, or it just the code exported? Does it create .exes? I mean, it may sound like a dumb question, but I'm serious.

This is absolutely amazing man!

DO NOT LET THIS GO TO VAPORWARE.

Well, you've got my money.
(about $120 of it too.)
-AaronG

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 08:49
You need DarkBasic and Blue to Compile and to run the Exported Code.

I guess it may be possable to take the required files and DLL's from DarkBasic to get around this so it would compile indipendantly, But i don't think i'd be allowed to do that

and the week beginning the 13th August im off work, so hopefilly I will post a demo in that week, Or thats the plan for a 1 week coding session

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 00:45
Quote: "Ok, so if someone buys this, do they have to own darkbasic, or it just the code exported? Does it create .exes? I mean, it may sound like a dumb question, but I'm serious.

This is absolutely amazing man!

DO NOT LET THIS GO TO VAPORWARE.

Well, you've got my money.
(about $120 of it too.)
-AaronG
"

?

Looks good, MSon.

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 02:50 Edited at: 28th Jul 2007 02:58
I was thinking more along the lines of £5 to £10, (About $10 to $20), But we will see

Ho yes, i think i found a useful DLL for CodeMax, (an Automatic Syntax Highlighter), would that be a useful Gadget useful for making your own IDE

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 00:38 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 02:04
I've got a question about Blue TreeViews if anyone knows the answer.

I've made an ImageList to attach to a treeview, but once the item has been created in the TreeView is it possable to change its image?

I would like it if I could show the menu item's image in the MenuEditor, but its a TreeView so I dont know if I can change it after its been added

This one window will store ALL Menus for the Project, MenuBars and Popups

Attachments

Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 08:26 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 08:30
ok, this is all new to me, GUI's and such for DBPro, but I'm very familiar with Visual Basic. My question here is, is this just a wrapper, in VB, around Dark Basic? And if so, how many wrappers do we need? I was thinking about this the other day. If I wanted to call a DBPro .exe from Visual Basic, with no .dlls, the only problem I would have would be passing variables from VB to DBPro. couldn' I just write variables to a file, and read them in from DBPro?

EDIT:
Or, better yet, DBPro has a Command Line interface to pass variables, so, I could easily call a DBPro app from within VB. If I had an IDE developed in VB, all I had to do was write all the vars for all the functions in DBPro to a file, and read it in as afile when I launched a DBPro app. I'm not knocking this app in anyway, I think its cool, and I see a very good use for it, my only question is, am I thinking right?
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 12:57 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 13:09
Hi Visigoth

This is Not a wrapper, it is 100% made in DarkBasic using RobK's BlueGui2 DLL so don't listen to anyone on the forum who says you cant make apps on DBPro, only games as this is not true

If you have Blue, then look at the Rainbow Designer, VDB is a Replacement for Rainbow, (or thats the Idea).

Edit: This is Rainbow

and this is Blues Site
http://www.robertknight.me.uk/blue2/site/index.php?view=info_demos

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 15:15 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 15:24
I'm going to try making a ViewPort, That would be kind of handy as a gadget. can anyone think of anythink else that was missing from Rainbow?

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 16:56 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 16:57
...NEW GADGET...

DivX Streamer incase you dont like the WindowsMediaPlayer Gadget

I don't know if there is any possable use for these gadgets, but Ill keep adding them until someone tells me to stop

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 17:50 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 17:51
or QuickTime if you prefer that

I think the way Im adding Gadget is Cheating, But it works

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 18:01 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 18:02
CodeMax - an Automatic Syntax Highlighter

I still need to do a Load/Save ability from DarkBasic for this

Attachments

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 18:09 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 18:15
Quote: "Ho yes, i think i found a useful DLL for CodeMax, (an Automatic Syntax Highlighter), would that be a useful Gadget useful for making your own IDE "

That IS interesting as I have a game making thingie with scripting and the like but no IDE to go with it. Can you explain how you have or intend to get CodeMax to work with Blue?

Our posts kinda collided there, but still, the question remains.

You are not alone.
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 18:38 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 18:57
so far i can add it in DarkBasic in a Window, but there is no load or save option yet, I will be looking into this later some time, but you can preset these options

When you select the CodeMax Gadget these properties appear in the "Gadget Properties Window".

As CodeMax was never designed for DarkBasic I had to cheat, What you can see in the picture above is a WebGadget, My app takes the Gadget Paramiteres you provided in VDB and generates it automatically, but it still works fine but i've got to embed a way to trigger load/save in VBScript

All these additional gadgets will be provided via "Include Files" as unfortunitally DarkBasic cant make DLL's

Edit: I take it knowone knows the answer to my question about TreeViews?

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 19:58 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 19:59
Well it sounds hot!

Can't wait to mess around with it. Any ideas when you'll be releasing a version for purchase or just testing?

Oh and I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your TreeView problem.

You are not alone.
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 20:07 Edited at: 29th Jul 2007 21:09
im off work the week starting 13th August, so i will release it for a test in that week some time.

I'll also need a few volentears to test a version with "Export DarkBasic Code" Enabled to make sure the exported code works on other peoples systems, but unlike rainbow this will need to export a Project File aswell with all Includes already attached, (6 Includes so far)

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 21:28
I shall volunteer! :')

You are not alone.
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 23:17
Sure.

and i just found what i think is the Complete list of Properties for the CodeMax Gadget, (See Attached).

I tmay take a wile to add all them new fields

Attachments

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 23:54
MSon, "unlike rainbow this will need to export a Project File aswell with all Includes already attached". Why not just use #include? That would simplify things to just exporting source code. As long as you don't have any comments on the #include line, #include works flawlessly.

It looks great so far. BlueGUI really needs a new interface creator. I'm glad someone's creating an app with DarkBasic - it really takes a lot of effort to make everything work.

I've sort of abandoned rainbow for my own INI&array system for the moment, and I don't know if I'll be able to go back to using the default handle system from BlueGUI again. My main problem with Rainbow, now that I think about it, was the lack of any exported resizing code - ex. when the user resizes the window, could your program export code that would reposition windows that are meant to align with the right/bottom edge of the window.

-Xol

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 00:28 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 00:31
If you meen automatic alignment say of a window to the bottom Right of the Desktop, then not yet, but i'll see what I can do

And as the default windows Color selector is not that good, i've just been looking for an alternet...
The Result...
Absolute Color Picker
its a FreeWare Application which copys the selected color to the clipboard in RGB which meens its easy to read it and even better, it allows you to pick a color from anywhere on the screen which helps as Blue does not support thinks like Transparant Labels, ect

The Freeware Licence says your free to Distribute, so I may as well use it

Attachments

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 00:49 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 00:49
"If you meen automatic alignment say of a window to the bottom Right of the Desktop, then not yet, but i'll see what I can do"

I mean being able to put four gadgets in a window, and having one able to always take up the upper-left quarter of the window, one always take up the upper-right quadrant, one the lower-left, and one the lower-right. If I put a button in the lower-right corner of a window, I want it to stay in that position relative to the bottom-right corner of the window, not stay in the same position relative to the upper-left corner (BlueGUI's default). Sort-of a more flexible system of 'setGadgetAlign' and ALIGN_ALL or ALIGN_RIGHT, for example.

I should have a beta of my latest project out within a week, and you can see what I mean then if I'm not making any sense right now .

Edit: And that's the coolest color-picker I've ever seen .

-Xol

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 23:40 Edited at: 30th Jul 2007 23:53
I have been told several times through messanger that one thing people want is the abbility to attach gadgets to an individual Tab on a TabGadget, so hopfully the picture below will explain.

I List the Tabs in the Gadget list to treat them like seperate gadgets, this allows you to attach a gadget to an individual tab automatically.

I will also add a RightClick Menu for tabs to Add, Remove, Rename, Move Left, Move Right and Delete tabs

Xol, I will look into this for you and add the Additional Align's if possable

Edit:
Im going to include some HUD Examples aswell when i post it next week, all you do it set gadget shape, transfer an image to a canvas, add Labels for health, ect and set Alpha to around 200 and what do you know, A semi transparant HUD

Attachments

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2007 00:05 Edited at: 31st Jul 2007 00:09
look at This Picture Link from WOW
http://uifiles.worldofwar.net/upload/pics/1122896236Overall%20HUD.jpg

The Health indicators on the top left would need to be Progress Bars, The bar on the top would contain a bunch of Labels, All the Item, Icons would be Buttons, The round map on the top right would depend if i can get a viewport to a window, and the chat box, Well tuff, You could code that yourself

That would be 5 Windows for 1 Hud

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 17:34 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 17:55
Howdy...

Just posting an update here on whats being added.

When you create a new gadget, then there are some thinks which will usually have the same code controls, such as when you press X on the window gadget, you want the window to close, When a Progress bar is Visible, you automatically want it to work, so I've set it so it automatically adds "Event Code" to do this when you create the gadget, this can be switched on/off through the menu, these are the only 2 i've added this for so far, so if you can think of anythink else that this would be useful for then please let me know.

I'm also working on a WebSite to go with this
http://www.freewebs.com/visualdarkbasic/index.htm
Its still under construction as I've only started making the site a few days ago, but Im also going to add an OnLine help section aswell.

I'm also working on adding the ability to edit the Buttons on a ToolBar through VDB, (Including OnClick Event).

I've never made a Programme with the intention to sell before, infact i've never sold anythink before, but what a pain all I do is work all day, programme all night
it gives you a headach

nevermind, only 1 week left till a 1 week solid coding session

Edit: I got a question if anyone knows the answer
How can i tell where DarkBasic is Installed on a computer, is it in the Registry, and how can i retreave it?

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 21:37 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 22:10
Glad there's progress . Looking good.

Edit: I found a better location and how to access it in DBp . Don't know why my search missed it earlier. (All DBp GET REGISTRY$() values are in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder)

About this system tray dll you keep mentioning, I'm wondering if there'll be a free link to it, or if that's only for buyers?

-Xol

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 22:10 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 22:15
Thanks, I will post the SystemTray DLL Later today with an example

I've been working on the ability to import other formats, this is what I've got so far.

Importing Blue's Rainbow Layouts, (.GUI), 100% Complete
Importing Visual Basic Forms, (.FRM), 50% Complete
Importing Exported Dialogs from an App called "Resource Hacker", IE: ResHack, (.RC), 20%

ResHack allows you to view and Export Dialogs from other Programmes, I exported several from windows DLL's as well as Visual Studio 2005 Express, im trying to make an Import Function so you can load these in VDB, Basicly it will let you Rip Window Designs from other programmes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:19:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:19:55