Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / using bsp still royalty free?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my angle. Ive made a walk through for my client, basically you can walk around a bridge structure. Ive made a bsp using the .x converter. So theres no problem with the actual map requiring a royalty fee from a map builder. But Iam always hearing about how bsps are copyrighted by the original game company that developed the technology. Iam getting paid £500 a bridge, with 12 bridges Iam going to be a happy man. But I really dont fancy handing the product over if I can get sued for using a bsp. Is it true?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 15:30
what programs were used to make the bridges, You didnt use like worldcraft or something but exported an X model from a 3d application u owned.?

I wouldnt worry unless u have tools in your arsenal that u havent paid for or read the liscence agreements and usage conditions.

http://www.lunarpixel.com/ is my new site
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
only used lightwave and bsp converter. Thought there was a legal issue with using the BSP format?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 17:48
as long it is the FULL RETAIL version of Lightwave not an education edition or such then it should be fine.

The only people who are open to be sued would be DBS - IF they are using an unlicenced version of vis/rad within the bsp (bsp itself isn't copywritten, good misconception)
However if you use a 3rd party BSP Developer like Worldcraft then you're open to have to licence (even thought technically you could use 3rd party compilers and they'd be non the wise )

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
cool

Its a full version of lightwave cost me 1700 quid , Iam a ltd company so I cant risk pirate software. Hey thats great news, time to cash in then

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:19:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:19:18