Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Text Adventure WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 19:50 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 06:19
This is my entry for the Text Adventure Competition. I'm still working on the game engine, so I haven't started working on the story, and I was wondering if people had anything they thought I should add.

Commands:
Look - This displays a description of the room you are in, a list of objects, and a list/desctiption of the different paths
Inspect <Object> - This displays a description of an object that exists in the current room
Examine <Inv. Object> - This displays a description of an object that you are carrying
Help - This lists the commands and what they do
Go <Direction> - This will let you go through a path to another room
Take <Object> - This will let you pick up SOME objects that are found in rooms
Inventory - This will list the objects that you are carrying
Quit - This quits the game
Use - This will use an object in the room/inventory or one object on another object, such as a lighter on a stick of dynamite
Talk - This will allow you to talk to people in the room. There will be several options of what to say when talking to a person, which may lead to other options

Other:
Room - This contains Objects, People, and Paths to other rooms
Object - This exists in a room, has a name and description
Path - Connects two room, has a string displayed when you walk through it as well as a description
Parser - not much to do here, but it works
Errors - Error messages are given when you type an invalid command, of nonexistant object, or try to walk in a direction that there is no path in
Output - Output appears character by character (though quite quickly) in a scrolling display box, but there is currently no wrapping for strings that are longer than the display box. Different types of info are printed in different colors
Person - This exists in a room, talk to it
Load from File - I plan to make the rooms load from data files, but I'll worry about this later

Colors:
Error Messages - Red
Help - Blue
Look/Inspect/Examine - Green
Path Related - Gold
Take - Pale Purple
White - Commands you have typed in

The majority of the data is stored using a TPC dll, only the USE command has to be has to be hardcoded as there is to much variety in what it will be used for.

Does anyone have anything they feel I should add? I'll post some sample (uncreative) output it a while just to show how I have it working.

Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 19:51 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 06:20
Sameple output:

Hmm, I've discovered an error when you try to go a direction in which there is no path. I must have changed something which screwed that up, I'll look at it later.
[EDIT] I've found and fixed the error

Please excuse my (current) lack of creativity.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 22:03
Looks good so far Is there anything you could tell us about the storyline?

Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 22:09 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 06:20
Thank you.

I haven't really started working on the storyline that much; I think ill save that until after i finish most of the game engine. Though it will probably be Sci-Fi

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 03:04
Sci-fi, cool

I like sci-fi. I don't feel you should add, just have the current comments be flexible. Extending syntix complexifies use - make it simple, fun and flexible .

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 09:50
Cool. I like sci-fi text adventures. Just trying to remember a really good one from the Spectrum. Would be a good one to try out. Oh, I know, was called Rigel's Revenge. Here is a link to the rom http://www.worldofspectrum.org/textadv/r.html

I wouldn't use the inspect command though. Or at least make it an alias of examine. I can't remember a single game that used inspect as a core command (perhaps as an alias). It was always examine or look at. You examine stuff in your inventory and you examine stuff in the location. I also used games which allowed "look at". More complex games had loads of aliases and clever parsing methods. eg. "view the book" would be the same as "examine book".

Don't forget to use abbreviations too. Almost always L was look, I was inventory, and the directions were single chars (eg. N,S,NW etc).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 06:21 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 06:22
I'll think about that, thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:38:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:38:17