Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / magic carpet clone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:24
Ok,
Heres something im working very hard on at the moment and would love to share with the comunity.
Its a clone of probably my favourite game ever and would love for the creators to actually make a version 3. But anyway, try my demo.
As the forum says its work in progress, and coming along nicely.

plays better than it looks.
Theres an interactive tutorial for those that dont know about magic carpet at all, and if you dont, its a 3d shooter/rpg/action/adventure all in 1

Why are the forgotten always remembered? But no-one remembers me?!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:38
Wow it's looking awesome. I downloaded and it's great. But the carpet moves so slow is there a way to fly faster?

crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:44
yes there is but your not sposed to have it yet(although it is available) at level 3,its called boost. havent got identifiers yet, its spell number 4.
cast it and if u have the mana u fly faster.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 22:44
The demo was cool. Keep up the work. Id like to see more progress

Learning C++ thanks DGDK
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 23:05
@Crighton K thanks.

crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 19:28 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 19:30
Ok work procedes on this title still, heres a new screeny, hopefully.
all collision is working, had to restrict the amount of mobs allowed per time, so far it can handle upto 300 mobs at a time, all firing at you and your castle.

In this image you will see your castle level 3 and 3 different mobs around it, only 2 shoot now, there is a 4th but still adding him.

Graphics borrowed from the actual game and enhanced(smoothed) abit. Sounds almost working 100%

Hope you enjoy.

cheers
crighton

**edit**
take 2 on image

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 02:39
This is really cool! I haven't played the original, so had a tough time figuring out that the 2nd spell was the mana collector. Maybeyou should make this more obvious in the tutorial.
Some suggestions/ things to fix:

the crosshair was a bit hard to see against some backgrounds. to make it visible on all backgrounds, you could try having a light and a dark crosshair offset by a pixel.

The cropping for trees was a bit wrong- they disappear just before they go off the screen.

There was some bleeding of the matrix texture due to mipmapping- noticable when looking east or west at the seabed. I think "set matrix texture" can fix this.

After selecting spells with the left cursor, the carpet takes the mouse movement during the selection as input for the movement, so you get a sudden and usually unwanted change of direction.

On the seabed at the middle of the map is a flying guy. I assume you are using instance object for these- just remember to hide this one!

The game was noticably jerkier at the end where loads of enemies appeared. Are you using a grid system for collision checking? Maybe that would make things faster.

Also there was a few seconds pause when they were "loaded". Not sure why this is. If you're using instance objects it should be pretty quick.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 15:40
Woah @Mr Tank !!,

Thanks, didnt think any one was following this, and to address your issues.

At the moment, I'm not to concerned about the graphics, really need processing power for enemy control ect.....(working on multiplayer as I go, have it running, maybe a demo soon).

The spells, sorry I thought I did cover that in the tutorial, the spells can be used by left or right mouse button, open spell menu with left control and left or right click to assign to that button.

The crosshair is a temp thing I made up for aiming purposes, later on I will let the user choose if they would like 1 and what color(again graphics).

The tree cropping is graphics again, will get to that later.
Also with the tree's they are just scenery, and I think I will leave them that way, cannot hit them with spells ect.... only dissapear if you make a castle on them or the ground gets altered in some other way.

The issue with the carpet spinning after selecting a spell is a pain in the buttocks, I have tried a few methods to compensate, but none work, might have to rewrite the mouse control for it.

LOL. The dude that's in the water, yes, I often forget to remove "test subjects". He is now actually your character that rides on a carpet, in multiplayer mode you get to see them as the players.

At the end of the tutorial, when I loaded up 300 enemy's(or close too) I just wanted the user to experience a tonne of mobs at a time, it is usually restricted to a certain number of each, but for the demo I unleashed fury to show the different AI ect.....(even though there was only 3 types).

The pause when a bunch of new mobs are loaded cannot be helped, the originals are alreay in memory, the new ones are cloned and animated, this lag cannot really be fixed when loading 100 of each mob(Unless I load them all 1 by 1 over time). As I said before there is a limiter to the amount made(this does not cause any lag), and in the original this lag was covered with a flash of white and a noise and a indicator showing new creatures had been loaded. I will be recreating that as well.

And thanks for responding, always good to get feedback, either good or bad. And even better to hear from people that have actually tryed it.

Now for the updates.
Multiplayer works, get to fight with each other over mana on the ground. Shoot other player and claim mana.
New graphics(taken from the original and enhanced).
And thats about it

Will be more soon, just have to figure out how I'm goin to update the enemy on the client, I'm guessing I send the initial data stating to make some of this kind at this location with their state and direction, then let them wander and as a new state is changed per mob, then update client with new data......... All good, and eventually will be done.

PS.
Just downloaded the demo(forget whats in each version) and this is far more advanced than that 1. This one has player HP, TowerHP, even the spells have mana bars and show if they can be cast or not.
Eventually, I will release another demo, just ironing out a few bugs still(like spell selection ect....)

Well, enough from me.

cheers
crighton

crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 20:45
PPSS.
thinking of changing to a space theme instead of recreating the original.

Thoughts please

cheers
crighton

music IS!! the aphrodisiac of the soul.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Why don't you have both???
Magic Carpet -The Future-
and
Magic Carpet -today-

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 00:28
Quote: "Why don't you have both???
Magic Carpet -The Future-
and
Magic Carpet -today-"

Good idea

http://www.freewebs.com/zornoxstudios/
Learning C++ thanks DGDK
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Was that sarcastic or was it truth. I can't tell with text. But by the looks of it looks sarcastic.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 04:18
Hehe i hardly ever find my self to be sarcastic.

It was the truth.

http://www.freewebs.com/zornoxstudios/
Learning C++ thanks DGDK
crighton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 09:48
Hahaha,
a debate in my WIP thread, cool.

Well the reason I wanted to go with a space theme is im having alot of trouble getting my "creatures" made, I can animate really easily, but I cannot create or draw. So I thought if I go space, then I can make lasers and a multitude of boxes into different ships ect.. and..... no land or water also helps with game speed alot.

The idea I have is,
(not posted until prelimary work is done)

cheers
crighton

PS.
If you can design some basic ships for me or even a station or 2, I would love to see them.

music IS!! the aphrodisiac of the soul.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i played it for a bit but got tired of blasting sheep. quickly.

the landscape was quite nice!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:27:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:27:18