Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Do I want Milkshape?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using DBlite, and am switching to pro. I do want a program to build my 3D levels and chars ect, for varius games I plan to make. Everyone seems to suggest Milkshake on this forum, but when I looked at it on its website it looked like a 3D movie maker. I don't want to make movies at this point, is this program realy easy and also powerful for programming wDBPro to?

Thanks
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 15:18
Milkshape is a modeller, better used for single models. It's not really designed for World Creation.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 16:31
Also it doesn't support vertex weighting but you can use it with character FX which does, though I tried out character FX the other night and found it to be slow as hell on a pretty kickass system, so I donno what to tell ya, milkshape is a fun way to get into modelling, and there are many tutorials for it, and it's also tres cheap

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 17:40
What would you guys suggest for creating worlds then if Milkshake is mostly for modelling?

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 18:54
theres madedit+magic world for matrix editing etc
cartography shop for the other type(whats it called, lol)

ARE YOU A 3D MODELER??? IF SO WE NEED YOU!!!
EMAIL mynameisnoneofyourbuisness@hotmail.com to work on the new Star Strike project!!!
Skybax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 19:56
Ah, I too am considering getting Milkshape...x-d

There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 07:15
cfx runs fine ona generic PIII 933 with a tnt2m64.

being able to lock a joint/mesh so it doesnt move in relation to other objects in a temp given situation would help CFX.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 19:37
What was the polycount of the model you used in cfx indi?

I was using the demo version to try it out and found it not only ran slowly using the supplied models but left junk in my memory to the point where I had to restart.

This may only be an issue with the demo, or an incompatibility with my system (geforceFX5200, directx 9x, 512meg ddr, athlonxp@1550MHZ)

Well anyway, 3ds max 3.1 ran a fully textured 5000 poly model's animation in realtime while I rotated the viewport regardless of whether I used the directX or openGL viewport renderers, And dbPro runs this model equally well.
CharacterFX locked up and ever so slowly drew in the bones on loading an object, and acting on said bones or rotating the view was so laggy as to make it useless. Even on it's own demo models, the animation playback and view rotation was jerky, and after selecting a joint to rotate/move, there was perhaps a half second before the axis carat appeared, same amount of time between selecting an axis and it highlighting yellow, and then you get the picture why this seemed pretty wrong to me anyhow.

Perhaps it's a directX 9.0 issue, but that doesn't explain the horrible state my system was left in each time I ran cFX.

Back on topic, I should have mentioned that for extremely low poly models, vertex weighting is kinda unnessecary if you design the mesh with animation in mind, it becomes a problem not having weighting when the realism goes up. More polys means tighter folding at joints, hence the need for weighting

So milkshape is actually a great little animation package for those just starting out in both modelling and animation, it's very simple to use and very cheap considering how stable it is

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 09:59:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 09:59:46