Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / R.O.A.M Terrain Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 12:27
I have started this thread to act as a posting station on the progress of my R.O.A.M terrain project.

R.O.A.M. = Realtime Optimally Adapting Mesh.
Using this method I should be able to create what appears to be a massive terrain. I also intend implementing procedural height generation in realtime, So as the player moves, Heights in the distance automaticaly get generated.

So far I've got a standard 64x64 matrix (not R.O.A.M) and a basic Perlin2D function generating the heights. (see attachment)
There are a few issues at the moment..

1.. the terrain is a little unrealistic, the procedural function isn't quite right yet. fBm and RigidMultifractal functions would be better than the current Perlin2D function.

2.. the view distance and level of detail will greatly improve once R.O.A.M functionality is implemented.

3.. texturing and shading will be added when required, currently this is just a standard texture with a grid to highlight the verts.

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 12:28 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 17:38
The 'Init()' Function...
This function detects the current desktop resolution and aspect and uses this along with the input values to find a suitable mode, this is to compensate for the different displays out there standard/wide etc.

*note: These code segments do work, there may however be better ways of acheiving the same results. feel free to comment.

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 12:29
Place Holder for any Images

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 15:11
Moved to WIP. Can you also check out the Sticky thread on posting WIPs, with regard to screenshots etc. Thanks.

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 13:23
This wasn't intended to be a WIP it was part WIP part Tutorial lloking for input from the other users.

It's been two weeks since I posted it and BATVINK moved it and it's not had a single post since then... (nuff said)

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 15:02
You don't have anything to show but some info and a download. Of course no one's going to post! Get some screenies and tell us what your program can do, not just what you want it to.

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 17:51
@ Dr Manette

Try the download, comment what you think of it, look at the code snipit and do similar. Screenies aren't that great so I'm not posting any at the moment and I find it hard to believ that a static image can properly convey the full emersiveness of a moving 3D display.

I'm having dificulties with the interfacing of the dll and DBP hence the delay in updating things.

As I said in a previous post, I didn't want this put in the WIP forum, it was moved here by BatVink. I was looking for comments and improvements to what has become a reasonably complex project. If the comunity get behind this, I/We may be able to produce something of beauty that others can adapt for their own goals.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 20:15
I downloaded it and didn't see much to look at. My advice still stays the same, people want screen shots before they download an exe. Also, I'm not too sure this is even ready for a wip thread yet.

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 11:05
I agree Dr M, so how do I get it back into the DB Discussion thread where I posted it?

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 18:00
This looks pretty cool. I did some work on streaming terrain as well. Some of my major roadblocks were on texturing the terrain and making the terrain "realistic". I like the name too; R.O.A.M.

I am looking forward to your next update.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 12:42
Thanx Riidii

I've been jumping around, creating small helper functions recently, testing, optomising to get the fastest code I can. Every day I find a better way of doing something, I then have to go over all the others and do the same on them.

It looks like it's gonah be a while for the next update...
It all going smooth then DBP throws a spanner in the works by not doing somthings the way you'd expect.

The texturing won't be a problem ,(I hope ) I intend using Gandalf's shader or a variation of it.

The name (R.O.A.M) is they type of terrain engine, I've not come up with a project name as of yet (Terrain Project doesn't count)

Go Create...

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2007 13:04 Edited at: 12th Oct 2007 13:05
Dang, Dang, Dang.
This is almost impossible to achieve in DBP.

I've been around this code so many times now, I'm getting dizzy.

R.O.A.M. Realtime Opimally Adjusting Mesh's are hard to do. First we have to calculate the distance from the viewer (closer = more detail), then we have to calculate the height difference between neighbouring points (larger = more detail), this means that two points (0,0,0) and (10,100,0) having a height difference of 100 would require two additional points at (3,10,0) and (7,90,0).

Generating points is easy, turning them into polygons is a little harder, properly texturing them is harder still, then there is applying shaders and the like. (thank Gawd someones hiden the rope!)

Go Create...

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 15:15
Ok this has hit the buffers big time, I just can't get DBP and my ROAM dll to play niceley with each other. I now have two options,

1) Ditch the DBP and just code my application in C++.
2) Check to see if DGDK is any better at interfacing with my dll.

I've taken another detour this week with the addition of an Ageia PhysX card to my system (shame there is hardly any support) I'm now considering Dark Physics as a plugin, or I may develop my own with the PhysX SDK.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 17:00 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 17:01
Í´m sad to hear that this won´t work for you. Feels like DBP is too limited. But why don´t you do the second option (using DGDK) first and if that fails, you can always do pure C++.

Wish you goodluck either way.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:26:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:26:15