Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Serious 3d prob :-(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 22:21
I've been trying to solve this with my friends' help for a while but we haven't found a solution... so I'm asking here.

Whenever I play any application and it begins to slow down, my computer... well, sometimes I loose mouse input, sometimes I loose keyboard input, and sometimes I get a BSOD. I have to cold reboot to get input from either device back. This is stopping me from playing just about all games-- I can play them normally, but any slowdown at all causes them to crash in that odd way.

The BSOD error # is always 0000:00000B1. (The number of zeroes may be wrong but you get the idea).

Now my system isn't that good, but I did not have this problem back on ME (when it was working). I can deal with slowdowns, but not a crash whenever I get one. I optimize my memory every time before I run an application, and I should be getting okay speeds considering I tune everything down to 640x480x16 with minimal graphical settings anyways.

These crashes used to be even more frequent... a friend pointed out a hack for mouse input, and that helped significantly. Now it's my keyboard that normally locks up, if I don't get a BSOD.

Oh, sometimes my Shift key gets 'locked' down too... I know how to fix it when that happens in DOS applications, but again I need a cold reboot to repair that.

Anyone have ideas?
--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 01:01
Would help if you could give the OS... (if its XP, then you always get a filename too).

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 19:09
Sorry, thought it was in there.

98 (SE).

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 19:46
Checked for viruses ?
Try uninstalling the devices one at a time, and see what happens.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 20:43
No, it's not related to viruses or drivers. I've switched them around, deleted them and reinstalled old ones, etc. Nothing helps. And my computer is clean.

I think it's something to do with my keyboard/mouse input, but I'm not sure.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 21:44
if you have a PS/2 mouse/keyboard have you pulled the connector out whilst the computer is on, if so you may have damaged the chip. Another thing to look at which may/may not be related to it is if you have a CD-Rom on the same IDE chain as your primary Hard disk. If so when the CDrom fires for reading it will temporarily stop hard disk access and can result in a blue screen.

Other things to check are RAM, temperature, power consumption and rogue programs in the background. Ram defraggers will ONLY do system ram and not video ram it could be you have a video ram problem that is causing this effect.

-EdzUp
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2003 22:38
Done a check on that stuff. Can't find anything wrong. I'm running hardly anything from the CD either.

I'll just see if a new video card fixes it...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 02:28
Sounds like to me your computer is just showing it's age, and it's time to start looking at new ones. My old Compaq's generally fart around a few months before they reach their last strings, problems happen for no good reason. Maybe your cooling fan broke. Maybe there's dust on your hard drive. Maybe liquid was spilled in an unfortunate place. Computers age just like humans, they are only useful for modern software after so long...

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 03:31
If it's that, I just might lose faith in humanity in general and go build a spaceship and become a hermit somewhere inbetween Earth and Mars.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 09:58
Mouse if ya do that we would have ta blast ya to bits when we I get me Cobra Mk III

-EdzUp
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 16:17
*sniff*

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:32:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:32:49