Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Advantage of sprites over pasted images for static elements?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2007 17:29
Regarding images that are not going to move, is it better to use sprites versus pasted images?

If I was going to use static images on screen (like dashboard components or fonts, text etc.) on top of 3D environment it seems that pasted images work fine. I can't see a reason that they wouldnt be good. Its easy to control their draw order and everything.

Thank you TGC for creating such amazing products!

Success does not come with meeting the minimum requirements.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 12:35
When I need 2d on a 3d game - like a HUD or score etc, I find it better to use 3d planes locked to screen. I do this simply because if you want to change the screen resolution then, if using 2d images or sprites, you'd have to resize and reposition all images/sprites - with locked plains you don't.
If your game isn't going to have the choice of changing resolution then you ok, but most 3D games offer the user an option to change resolution.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:20:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:20:09