Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Question about returning data from game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello All -

I work with a group of game researchers at George Mason University who are eye tracking video game players in a series of experiments. We've recently been evaluating some levels built in FPS creator for use in an experiment.

For our research, we need to collect some data about game occurrences - mainly collect and return several values in the game. These values are:

-the X and Y positions (locations) of an object on a map
-the X and Y positions (locations) of the player on a map
and, most importantly,
-the X and Y positions on an on-screen object.

I was given the following commands to get the x/y location of an object
-Return Float=OBJECT POSITION X(Object Number) will get the X location of any object, by it's ID.

-Return Integer=OBJECT SCREEN X(Object Number) will return the X location of any object in relation to the screen rather than 3D space. Return Integer=OBJECT SCREEN Y(Object Number) retrieves the Y location.

My question is: What functions do I need to look at to return these values?

I understand this may be a naive question, and I appreciate any feedback you may have. I'm trying (with my admittedly limited programming knowledge) to evaluate the feasibility of getting the aforementioned data out of the game before comitting to building levels in an experiment.

Thanks!
Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 20:06
Both theese commands store data in variables defined by the player. There are several ways to view these variables the easiest of which is to print them on the screen.
example:
Mac77
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Jerok.

If we wanted to record the variables as they were printed out (say the system time and the variable to a .txt or .dat file), would that be possible?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 07:33
Yes - you have the Timer() function which can be used to access the system clock anyway, but I believe (but I'm not 100% certain) that you also have Date$() and Time$() in DB Pro.

You also have all the necessary commands to write whatever you want to text files on disk.

TDK_Man

Mac77
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! Thanks, TDK_Man.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:26:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:26:41