Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Shooter - 4 player spaceship action

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 20:13 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 20:14
Shooter is about as simple to play as you get, 4 buttons to move, 1 button to shoot. Players create a pilot and join their 3 partners, AI or human. Together you embark on a mission to defeat the Solaris Army by destroying key warships, and eventually, the mothership. Players choose a level, shoot things, pickup power-ups and money, and defeat the boss. After each level, you can purchase upgrades or repaint your ship. Shooter is designed as a multilayer game, so it is easy to pick up and play.

Screen:

A trip through level 1

Features:
1-4 players
10 Levels
5 Weapons
Over 20 Enemies
Over 25 Ship Color Schemes
Over 45 Upgrades
Customizable Controls (KeyboardJoystick)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 20:18
Looks pretty cool. I bet many people will have fun playing this with friends

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 18:42 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 18:45
Quote: "Looks pretty cool. I bet many people will have fun playing this with friends"

I'm mainly making the game for multilayer, so I hope it's fun.

Update:
When you defeat enemies, they have a chance of dropping a weapon power-up. There are 4 weapons, each represented by a different color. When you pick up the power-up, you change over to that weapon, or if you are already using that weapon, it levels up.

Screen:

This shows the weapons at max level.
Blaster - Green - Starting weapon, shoots straight forward
Spread - Yellow - Shoots at angles to spread over the screen
Curve - Red - Curves in and out, mixing spread and focused fire
Beam - Light Blue - Fires at a faster rate and has shield penetration

Attachments

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 22:05
Looks like a good idea. I always have so much fun with spray bullets in 2D games.

This sig has been viewed times.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 18:08 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 18:08
Designing and programming the bosses are what's slowing me down the most. It's hard planning special attacks and AI patterns while keeping them unique and challenging.

Screen:

This is a screen of the 2nd boss. These two, twin snake-like ships twirl around the screen while firing at you. Once you damage them enough, they start using a surprise charge attack.

The blue bullets are extra weapon power-ups that can be picked up. The crown and turd icon are for the players with the highest and lowest score. King of the Group receives 50% more money, while Turd of the Group receives 50% less money.

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 18:12
Looks good!!!
My compliments to ze cheif!...........
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 19:01 Edited at: 11th Aug 2007 19:02
Quote: "Looks like a good idea. I always have so much fun with spray bullets in 2D games. "

Thanks! I've designed one of the AI partners to sit back and collect the spray type bullet power-ups just for you.

Quote: "Looks good!!!
My compliments to ze cheif!..........."

Thanks, I'm hoping I'll be able to finish all that I have planned.

Update:
After each level you can use the money collected to upgrade your ship. You can improve things like shield, engine speed, and fire rate. Also, you will be able to pick up super rare upgrades that can only be found after defeating certain bosses.

Screen:

An example of a ship with max fire rate and the beam weapon.

Attachments

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 18:10 Edited at: 14th Aug 2007 18:10
I've been busy the last two days so I haven't been able to work. But I'm back working today.

Update:
Each level will add about 2-3 new enemies. When you kill an enemy, it is logged into the enemy database. From the database, you can see the name, picture, description, and stats of all the enemies you have beaten. The more times you defeat a certain enemy, the more information will be shown.

Screen:

The enemy shown here starts off completely invisible. The more times you hit it consecutively, the more visible it becomes, and it can only be damaged when fully visible. When it is not being damaged, it quickly fades back to invisibility.

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 18:28
Looks pretty cool Jimpo mate, a nice lil' classic arcade shooter.

Hakuna Matata
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 18:29
Looks cool. Will be interesting to see what the enemy and friend logic is like. Seems you have thought this through well and know what needs to be done and stuff.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 20:05 Edited at: 14th Aug 2007 20:08
I cant wait to see this game in action(That is, if you post it )!
say,did you base this game off R-TYPE3 for the super nintendo?
I love that game and it looks like it....
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 19:12 Edited at: 15th Aug 2007 19:12
Thanks for the comments!

Quote: "Looks pretty cool Jimpo mate, a nice lil' classic arcade shooter. "

Hey Seppuku, reminds me of the days of working on Rush...

Quote: "Looks cool. Will be interesting to see what the enemy and friend logic is like. Seems you have thought this through well and know what needs to be done and stuff.
"

There are three different AI players with their own personality, but they can be swapped out for human players before you start a new level.

Quote: "did you base this game off R-TYPE3 for the super nintendo?
I love that game and it looks like it...."

I've never played R-TYPE myself, but I've played a couple games based off of it.

Update:
There will be two game modes, stage mode and endurance mode. Stage mode is the standard mode. In it you play through the game's main levels. Endurance mode is where you go as long as you can without dieing against randomly spawning enemies.

Screen:

Endurance mode in action. The longer you last, the higher score you get. I plan to have a high score table to go along with it.

Attachments

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 19:15
Nice screenshot Are you thinking about fixing up the spaceship images? If you want I can make you new ones.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 00:24
Quote: "Nice screenshot Are you thinking about fixing up the spaceship images? If you want I can make you new ones.
"

me too!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are you thinking about fixing up the spaceship images? If you want I can make you new ones."

Quote: "me too!"

Thanks for the offer, it would be nice to see the game look good instead of my graphics. I've attached the generic player ship as a guideline. The dimensions have to be 32*16. I look forward to seeing what someone with artistic talent can come up with.

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 17:40
okay. i'll have some thing up by the end of the day....
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 19:51
heres one . . . .

man i couldn't really do that much with as it's a smaller pic than i realized......

Attachments

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 20:31
I don't know if you wanted me to make you the ship. But here's my entry, oh and I can animate the ships if you want...

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 20:32 Edited at: 16th Aug 2007 20:33
i think he did.......
nice
the guns on mine are PPCs or Particle Projectile Cannons.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 01:58
Quote: "Hey Seppuku, reminds me of the days of working on Rush..."

Except this time with the progress. Perhaps I should work on something simpler like you are (Probably one of the reasons Rush failed), I've never actually completed a project.

Anyway, I've never really been into Arcade shooters, but with the release of Echoes I have looked at the differently and will be most interested by the outcome of what you're doing here.

Hakuna Matata
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 17:59 Edited at: 17th Aug 2007 18:00
Quote: "Anyway, I've never really been into Arcade shooters, but with the release of Echoes I have looked at the differently and will be most interested by the outcome of what you're doing here."

Hopefully this game will be finished soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think.

Dark Dragon and Game King, I'm amazed at what you were able to do with such little pixels. I don't want to force anyone to redo all the graphics, but your ships will definitely be used. And that brings me to...

Update:
Before each level, not only can you upgrade your ship, but now you can repaint it. When you first start, you can only choose from a couple of basic colors. But as you play through, you unlock more colors. Eventually, complete redesigns will be unlocked.

Screen:

Here's the two newest ships in-game.

Attachments

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 18:01
I can make you anything you want..really. I love making graphics

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 17:42
Wow, both ships look amazing, and so the game does. Maybe someone should draw new backgrounds... because they look really boring and might be an important aspect of atmosphere.

Quote: "not only can you upgrade your ship, but now you can repaint it."

That sounds like a great idea.
I'm looking forward to a demo.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 18:56 Edited at: 18th Aug 2007 18:56
Quote: "Maybe someone should draw new backgrounds... because they look really boring and might be an important aspect of atmosphere."

I was thinking about working on the background. I'll see what I can do.

Update:
The games 10 levels and bosses are now finished. I hope to have the game done by the end of this weekend. Now all that is left are the smaller things, like logo, testing, and small touch ups.

Screen:

This enemy, shown at the right of the screen, appears in later levels of the game. Simply put, it's invincible. The trick to beating them depends on what color they are. Every couple of seconds they will change to a different color, and each color matches the color of a bullet type. By hitting them with the same bullet color, you can get past their shield and destroy them.

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 04:37
Looking better and better. What screen resolution is this running at? I wonder what would happen if you increased it (if possible)

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 21:16
Quote: "Looking better and better. What screen resolution is this running at? I wonder what would happen if you increased it (if possible)"

what he said.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking better and better. What screen resolution is this running at? I wonder what would happen if you increased it (if possible)"

It runs at 320*240.

As for progress, I'm making sure to test every aspect of the game properly for glitches. The game should be ready soon.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 19:20
Quote: "The game should be ready soon. "

i'm really looking forward to it!
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry it took me a week just to do the final testing, I was pretty busy. The game is completed and up for download.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=113093&b=5

I hope you enjoy it and leave some feedback.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 17:53 Edited at: 27th Aug 2007 17:55
put the zip on the forum.
(sorry, my dads got this...this..horible proxy thing and.....)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:30