Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Immortal Guardian 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 20:06 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 00:35
Not sure how many people remember my group's first project, Immortal Guardian. It had a lot of bugs and issues with it, but that's all in the past. Presenting the sequel, IG2.

The premise of the original game was to navigate through a labrynth within a certain amount of time before the minotaur got you. This time, we're adding all the things that we missed. Namely, AI, shooting, shaders, 3d objects, better graphics and movement, ect.

We're about 70% done with this, pretty much left with textures and maps to make. The AI is decent, I think, and probably the best I've ever written. Ignore the bad texture on the gun (Sigma .22), it's a place holder texture.

NEWEST VERSION OF DEMO:
http://www.biofoxgames.com/immortalguardian2demo.zip

The list:

Percent done: 85%

Game-
Can look around and up and down
Two cut scenes
One-level map construction
Each level, begin with full health
GUI/menus

Options-
Background music on/off
Two difficulty settings
Shaders (Normal Mapping) on/off

Items-
3d object loading/placement
10 Levels completed
Puzzles/Traps
Keys
Health
Ammo
3D models

Enemies-
Enemies, 3D animated models
Textures finished
Animation handling
Stats

Weapon-
Single weapon that can be upgraded over time
Textured and modeled
Shoots at enemies
Bullet holes

Screenshots:

The demo level. I'm proud of that gun model. =)

The elusive Employer from IG. Any one know what the original model was?

A shot of the chadeliers from the first cutscene.

The Employer's desk, complete with one of those little ball things

An Example of shaders

The main menu, click the typewriter for a new game and the gun for options.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Too Cartoony if you ask me But if that is the style I'm fine.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 01:06
Those aren't the final texture, just stand ins. I'm hoping more people try the demo, cause it's the AI and game play we're focusing on at the moment. Also, once normal mapping is added, any textures we put in will look way better.

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 01:22
haha iremember immortal gardian it's was fun. good luck i like how ur using 3d guns this time

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 15:25
Good start. But you should do something about the health. I walked up the the enemy, and just stood there. My hp went negative (when I killed the enemy I had -50).
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 19:17
Yea, I haven't actually gotten around to making the player die. This makes it much easier to test when I don't have to worry about the monsters.

That reminds me, did anyone find the console that I conveniently forgot to mention? Press ~ to check it out.

Quote: "haha iremember immortal gardian it's was fun."

It was pretty fun, but I think the graphics were the thing that killed it. The minotaur even scared us a few times testing.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 12:25 Edited at: 15th Aug 2007 12:27
Found the console. It's nice, type God to become immortal, but a bit hard to get. If you hold in the key too long (and by the way, for me it´s the § key. Guess we have different kerboards), you never get an console. Or you can't get out of it. So you must be very fast when pressing the key. It's an coding thing that's quite easy to solve .

Quote: "Yea, I haven't actually gotten around to making the player die. This makes it much easier to test when I don't have to worry about the monsters."

No problem. That's a good explantion to not adding death yet. Just don't forget to add it in the end.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 13:34
Quote: "The premise of the original game was to navigate through a labrynth within a certain amount of time before the minotaur got you. This time, we're adding all the things that we missed. Namely, AI, shooting, shaders, 3d objects, better graphics and movement, ect."

If you missed AI and movement, yeah, I guess a new game would be a good idea. But now serious, it seems like a nice one. I love little ball thingies.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 05:57
We've added normal mapping to the game, and it looks pretty good imo. The problem we had was a severe drop in performance when we had multiple lights. Instead, the player has a torch which lights up around him. It is pretty dark out side the light, so I think this will make the game scarier and harder!

Screenshot of the shaders(more to come later):

Quote: " I love little ball thingies."

I have to restrain myself from taking advantage of your word choice. But really, we're adding a lot of little things like that in the game. When you play it, expect to see many cameos of our previous game characters/idea.

Quote: "If you hold in the key too long (and by the way, for me it´s the § key. Guess we have different kerboards), you never get an console."

I know exactly what you mean. Just another one of those little things that have been neglected because of the AI and shaders.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 12:42
The Normal Mapping looks great of you ask me.Sure makes the game looks less cartoony.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 19:04 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2007 19:06
NEWEST VERSION OF DEMO: http://www.biofoxgames.com/immortalguardian2demo.zip

Thanks Prince!

We've added a very cool 3d menu (picture below) and options to turn shaders off/on ect. Also, some minor object placement fixes and the addition of some screen effects. When you get hurt, the screen flashes red, and when you die, the camera rotates down and fades black.

You will also see the animations for the enemies in the newest demo, which work fluidly thanks to append object. The shaders option is turned off as a default, but turn them on if you think your computer can handle it.

Cheers to Image All of the fire animation, which I assume is okay to use (let me know otherwise).

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I know who was the employee before you changed him!!! It was the mummy!! From Darkmatter.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 23:38
Nooo! The secret is out!

Practice makes perfect. But if nobody is perfect, why practice?
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 00:30
Actually, it's not the mummy.... but it IS from DarkMatter.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it it is the ninja!! Just checked my Darkmatter browser

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 01:20
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it Cyborg

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 02:25
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 02:42
The cyborg is the Cult member (the red guy), Deathead. You're very close, however.

@Xenocythe, Not even close, lol.

Does anyone want to comment on the actual game, instead of just guessing. I'd appreciate constructive criticism. Compliments are good too.

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing I think you should change is that without shaders, you can see everything around you, but with shaders you can only see a small area inside the light. You should be able to see just as far either way.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 02:57
Yea, good point Randomness. I've been having my Shaders programmer work on that. We want it to be dark with or with out shaders, it's scarier that way.

On that subject, could people post system specs if they tested the shaders? Also, if you access the console and type display, you can see the fps. It will be helpful to know how well the shaders run.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 12:42 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 12:42
Nice game. The shaders was quite good. I got about 30 to 50 fps with the shaders off and 23 to 40 with them on. My specs:

CPU:
AMD Sempron Mobile 1.8 GHz (it stand 3500+ on it, but somehow I doubt that's true).

RAM:
2432 mb.

GRAPHICS CARD:
ATI Radeon Express 1150 (256 mb).

And now to some suggestions. A loading bar or sign would be nice, so the world don't stop and you ask yourself "Did it crash or is it just loading another map?". And about not seing things, it can be annoying if you play the map the first time and don't know where to go, because you can't se anything. I suggest you get an flashlight or something into it (like you can't have a weapon and the flashlight at the same time, so you'll be defenceless with it, but it makes so you can see better). And one thing more. The menu can be hard to understand the first time. You could add text next to the 3d menus items. If so, it would be nice if you could partly see through it, and then you have your mouse above it, you can see it more clearly.

Other then that I must say you've done a great job. The death thing is very nice, and so was the red flashing when you get hurt, and that 3d menu is just awsome. Keep up the good work.

P.S.
The enemys are the cyborg, and the other one was the mutant... I think. Don't have DarkMATTER installed at the moment, so I just hope I remeber correctly.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 13:18
Demo was awesome! Great tense atmosphere. Look forward to seeing more.
I got 30+ fps comfortably on:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2600
RAM: 1GB
GPU: ATI Radeon X700 128MB

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 18:47 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 18:49
I've added a few minors things suggested, such as a loading bar and some transparent text on the menu. The bulk of the time was spent trying to fix an AI bug that allowed an enemy to walk through a wall on a certain part of the map. But, that's all patched up. Another thing no one mentioned but was bugging me was the pregame rotation, which, if you moved your mouse at all before the level loaded, would turn the camera. That is also fixed.

We have two banners on our site, one is in my signature; feel free to sport one if you feel inclined.

@Mr. X
Thanks for your input, it helped us fix a lot of the little things. I'm not sure on using a flashlight, but we'll test it out. Glad to hear you enjoyed our menu! And your right, we do use the cyborg and mutant. No one seems to know what the Employer is though... brains....

@TEH CODER
That's good to hear, with shaders, my computer gives about 20 fps. The tense atmosphere is exactly what we want to produce, it's the basis of the series. If you ever play the first IG, the minotaur will scare the crap out of you the first time around.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:31:19