Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Guys please help me I busted my computer!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 15:38
Well last night I was updating my graphics driver (heheheh Indi ) and when I restarted my computer, after the 'Windows 98' screen, the screen just went BLACK!

OK, now go on your own monitor where you would go to adjust brightness etc. See that little light that pops up when you press the button? Well on that black screen, there were TWO lights on my monitor adjustment thing. One on each side of it, and they were heading to the middle 'bouncing' off each other and going back to the outside, and repeating! WEIRD!

Heres what happend:

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX

I went to www.nvidia.com and downloaded the latest patch (detenator fx or something)

I ran the auto-installer

I went to the folder it created : C:\NVIDIA and ran the drive installer from there.

All went well then it asked me to re-start my computer. I did.

After seeing all of the system code, your system software screen comes up (for me its windows 98) after that you SHOULD be asked to log into your network, but for me, the screen went all black and that weird light thing happend.

Now, I cant get into my computer AT ALL. I saw my dad get to this big blue screen where you can move around in it.

Is there a way to UNINSTALL a video driver update WITHOUT having to be logged into your computer. Please help!

I am facing losing DB, Eternal Destiny, everything on my PC. Please someone help! There has to be a way!! HELP!

RPGamer
Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 15:44
Safe Mode!!!

Boot up but keep the boot select key pressed, probably F4 or F8, then select safe mode. That will let you load up windows and change the driver to something safer.

The reason you still see the Win98 load screen is because it's not using your windows display drivers.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 15:49
Your card is broken....

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 15:52
Nah, Act - stop trying to scare the dude

It's most likely just the monitor trying to use some weird hellish video setting from some bad drivers, you probably hear a click as well (degauss circuit).

Van-B

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 15:57 Edited at: 4th Jun 2003 15:58
muhahah...Still,that's what broken accelerators will do,load up the VGA and when they get passed the Windows splash,blackens...Make sure those were the drivers for the right OS,I did that mistake once...Yep,once.

Running away You're lost for words again Now you`ve got all what you wanted Are you really satisfied?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 16:42
I hoped for the best and told you the circumstances with using manufacturer drivers and detonator drivers.
how is it going.?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 16:59
Well I booted up in safe mode and got the computer actually running, now I think I have 1 of 2 problems:

A) I have no graphics driver!
or
B) The graphics driver I have is broken!

Now, I cant find the nvidia cd rom that has the updates on it (not like it would be of much use, safemode disables the cd rom drive) so that fix is out of the question.

OK, is there any way to DELETE my update and go back to my old driver? Here is what I have done:

Deleted the folder I dled the autoinstaller to
Deleted the folder that the autoinstaller made

Anything else? When I reboot regularally (spelling?) I get that weird blinking LED light thing.

Act: How did you fix it! It sounds like you had the same problem I do!
Van: How do I change the driver!!!!! Yes I hear that click sometimes Any fixes?

Thanks guys,

RPGamer

PS: Indi, its going BAD!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 17:05 Edited at: 4th Jun 2003 17:07
Well, when your selecting your graphics driver, you should see a couple of little tick boxes, change them so it shows all devices, then select SuperVGA - which is fairly standard, your card should support it. Now you'll have to find an older driver, but with the SuperVGA mode, you'll be able to use your computer out of safe mode - so your on your way. Chin up dude, you'll be cooking in no time - just do a wide search for decent drivers. I have the detonator drivers from about 6 months ago - they work peachy, I could email them to you if that'd help, but I could'nt do that for a while yet, still at work.

Ohh, that click is perfectly normal, a little circuit inside your monitor cleans the magnetic charge from your screen, that's what the noise is - your monitor will often do that when changing resolution.

Van-B

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 17:06 Edited at: 4th Jun 2003 17:09
-Act: How did you fix it! It sounds like you had the same problem I do

I bought another accelerator...

Usually,you can find driver deletion utilities on the official sites of the company but I never installed a detonator driver so who knows.

If not,you can go in the device manager(assuming you use win98 R-Click on My Comp. and choose properties) and delete manually the driver under the Video adapter branch.

Having deleted the folder for the drivers,windows will ask you to insert a driver disc or it's path when rebooting....According everything is fine with the adapter.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 17:58
Hmmm well I have a computer dude comin in a few mins, so Ill see what he has to do about it

Thanks

RPGamer

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:35
Uh....

Well, first of all, ye should always uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. It's good to get Detonater Destroyer and totally blast them away.

Second, you just run the autoinstaller. That's it, you don't run any other files.

One of those things might have messed it up.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 19:49
hehe a crash course in detonator drivers isnt a pleasant experience.
ask the computer guy a lot of questions regarding your Os since your new to these kind of diagnositcs, setup and repairs.

Its probably a case of the detonators causing grief as i explained in the IM chat.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 22:31
Detonaters are meant to explode . Remember nVidia's new line? Graphics Inferno!

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 22:50
Yeah! You can make some really nice sausages when that happens.....

Isnt it CTRL for safe mode in 9x systems?

Bang bang
Feuer frei!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:04
Well the computer guy couldnt fix it, so Im sending it to the computer hospital tommorow. Wish it luck guys, it will be hard going a few days without my baby

RPGamer

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 01:26
Can't you swap HDs with another computer that dosen't have a nVidia card? The drivers wouldn't work, it should automatically switch to the default... allowing you to disable all drivers and swap it back, destroy all traces and properly reinstall.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 04:16
Too lazy

RPGamer

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 04:33
Very interesting.

You should try to find yourself a cheap copy of windows me or xp, then you can create restore points.(not sure if you can do so in 98.)

Although I'm sure we all know the problems XP and ME can cause.

(Current)-learning some animation-
(progress)-concept art finished-
(misc.)-Started modeling- (as current as)6-2-03
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 13:48 Edited at: 5th Jun 2003 14:13
Yeah getWin2k,the best Os by M$.

I'm pretty sure the accelerator is broken.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 06:03
go into fdisk.....partion the drive, add another OS onto the new partion and move your files that you need from one partition to the other... then delete the old partion with the non working os.

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 20:15
Found the problem guys, my monitor cant handle the update. Getting a new one (on bros comp right now)

See ya

RPGamer

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2003 07:46
Man, that's one crappy monitor . Glad you found the problem though, and it's good your acutal computer is okay.

Speaknig of monitors... mine has this really weird problem where the darker a horizantal line of the screen is, the more drag it leaves. To explain-- as I type in this window, the text begins to leave a visible black drag around it because the amount of dark pixels is getting higher. This is totally universal, happens with everything. Now I know it's just 'cause my monitor is dying and I need a new one, but I'm curious... anyone ever had this happen to theirs before?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2003 14:46
mines blurry by about a mm at the momo and the deguass gun isnt fixing it, yeesh i need a crt gun alignment but a mate is letting me have an older 17 inch so i dont have to worry or id be looking at a pretty penny.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:33:10