Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering, is it possible to import "stuff" from other games; like max payne, doom3, ect...?
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 01:14
Yes

Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 01:17
Why would you want to do that?
It's not like you can use it and release it to the public.
RiPiG
Years of Service
User Offline
@vorconan - how?

@Ezykeyal - why not?
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 02:00
Quote: "Why would you want to do that? It's not like you can use it and release it to the public."

Because it's fun and not everyone wants to spent the time required custom modelling their game straight away.

It can still be educational using existing media from other games for personal experience. Not everybody is in a position to make the next best seller just yet and just want to experiment for a while first.

There seems to be a lot of people who shun the use of existing material in demos for no other reason than they have a moral stand point on it (not including you in that Ezykeyal).

Providing you don't try and sell or distribute a game with copyright material, no one other than a few grumpy forum members is going to care.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 02:20
I'm sure licensing would make the use of copyrighted game material illegal for any reason outside of the context of the game.

It's not a matter of getting caught or caring. It's that you don't want the board shut down because it facilitated the exchange of information that enables the activity.

If you don't want to custom model, there are countless freebies available. I can't begin to use all of the stuff I've downloaded. The truth is, there are a lot of young newbies who see the FPSC product and say "I want to make a game just like Doom." They want something easier than the current Doom mods and FPSC looks like it will get them there.
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 13:54 Edited at: 20th Aug 2007 13:55
If it was for educational purposes there are plenty of models already coming with FPS creator.
Really FPS creator comes with everything you need to learn about this product, the rest depends on your knowledge how a basic game works and how to create media.

If you knew the basics of how a game is constructed, how to have a character with a skeleton attached to it which is animated, this question is not necessery.
In order to get all the media, google is your friend.

Would you like it if there were people out there that would rip off your created media to use in their game or movie and freely distribute it all over the place?

If you love a certain thing like doom or perhaps Predator then why not create something similar out of your own imagination?
There are so many people out there that love games and think they can just snap their fingers and create one but can not think outside of the box and instead want to recreate what others already have created perhaps a million times.

Could'nt have said it better than Uthink.
RiPiG
Years of Service
User Offline
@ both of you

yes I know it is not right to use already made material from the most popular games just to find and easy way out, I just wanted to know if it was possible. And yes I am a newbie but I also am not the kind that copies others work. so to clear all of this up, here is a better question:

What do I need to create my own models, segments, ect..?
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 04:43 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 04:46
My smart answer is... "A search button"

Tools can be.. Milkshape, Blender, AC3D, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Gimp, MagicFPS, the list goes on.

Look at the top of this board and you'll see this...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82328&b=24
Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 05:50
does anyone know how to convert a sketchup file from google?
i need a converter, but i cant find a right one..

Endless Fps Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:27:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:27:03