Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Limits to Segment Creator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 06:14
Anyone know if there are limits to making objects into segments?
For example, could you bring a .x model of a lamp and make it a segment?

I ask because I haven't been successful yet and don't want to keep working it--if you can only do walls and floors.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 06:25
What segment maker are you useing? because it should be very easy to do so in the segment creator provided by TGC.

TEST OF WILL
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What segment maker are you useing? because it should be very easy to do so in the segment creator provided by TGC."

to many errors
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 06:36
I'm using TCG's.

Keep getting "Runtime Error 7003 - Mesh does not exist at line 9963."

I double checked and all files are there. The mesh works fine if I load it as an entity.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 08:28
are you sure you have the line directing to the model propperly?

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 11:13
Why would you need a model as a segment? That's what I don't understand.

[center]
The Join Button. Click it. You know you want to.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 11:17
Uthink

I have been messing around with this idea for quite a while now and have had good results with the method I use. I like to call it 'Mesh Merging', an example of which is I managed to merge the 'corpse' entity from Sci-Fi into a standard single wall segment, a bit like 'Star Wars-Han Solo frozen into metal slab'. It wasn't perfect because of the 'corpse's' .X file's actual depth but it looked great from the front but not from the back of the wall.

The method I use is to 'Manualy' customise a standard single wall 'Fps' file by copying the whole wall's section details and pasting them below to make a new section for editing with the new position details for new (corpse) object. It is a very fiddly process with lots of tests to find the best position for the second object but you can end up with some great results.

Another example is to open and look at a standard 'Steps' unit 'Fps' file. This shows you that the steps are created by using multiple '.X' file sections that have different pos X,Y,Z values.

In effect, you can use the .X files of entities as segments but they will behave like a segment and have a fixed position by 'Customising' an 'Fps' file.
I do not or have tried using any utility to do this because manualy it is just as easy to do. I do not think this will work with any models that carry animation information as they will loose their animation as segments but its worth trying.

I hope that this makes sense.
Cheers
Rosstradamus
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 17:42
Quote: "Why would you need a model as a segment? That's what I don't understand."

@ TGPEG
Ever use the duct segment? It ain't exactly a wall or floor!

@ Ross
Thanks for the info. I never thought about looking at how steps are done. And I like the Star Wars idea. Very original for FPSC.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 17:47
Oh. Yeah, I didn't think about that. I'll shutup now

[center]
The Join Button. Click it. You know you want to.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 01:02
Everyday I read about something I didn't think of!

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:26:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:26:00