Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Milo Mission

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 19:08 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 19:12
This is the text adventure I plan on entering into the text adventure competition. I have included a demo with this post. The demo is a WIP version so it would omit everything to do with the story.

Progress:

Coding------------------------------
Title screen
New game
Mission screen
Load screen
Navigation screen
Choice screen
Item screen - current project
Shop screen
Battle screen

Basic scripting language
All commands for scripting

Map

Scripting----------------------------
6 Choice scripts
<1 Locations
2 Land descriptions
1 Missions
0 Infomatic entries

please offer constructive criticism and bug reports

.zip included

From the office of... Dr. Schnitzengruber

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 19:12 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 19:17
Screen Shot for navigation screen.

sorry, I can't make the image smaller without destroying the text.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 19:38
You're using media. Remember to implement an option to turn it off, and have it off by default. Also, remember that there may be NO advantages in having the media on or off.

Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 20:21 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 20:29
what media are you talking about?

the map can be turned on and off and the rest of the media is text which was not against any competition rules.

Quote: ""The "no media" rule is targeted directly at 2D or 3D assets, music, or sound effects... none of these can be used. This rule DOES NOT extend to text files , dll's, source files, or anything else not defined as media here""

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 21:11
No, but it DOES extend to any form of visual aid in any form, including ASCII art, or using symbols to show something visually instead of textually. Your map does not comply to the rule, so if it can be turned off it's okay, as long as it is OFF by default and does not provide any special advantage in the game.

The rest of the game does seem to fit in the rules, but due to lack of information it's a bit hard to react.

The demo works pretty nice, it's a bit getting accustomed to but it seems to work pretty well .

Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 21:31 Edited at: 21st Aug 2007 21:31
I agree with tha_rami, I believe that, unfortunately, the flashing text, the HP display, the visible places, or any other nonstatic aid other than the main text would be against the rules. (unless you can turn it off)

I think the idea was to have the game be almost like the DOS console, where you just type stuff in and it just puts stuff out, and that's it, except for a static HUD.

You could have the command list be part of the static hud, just don't make it flash
You could create a command to output the "visible places"
In the compo thread, a suggestion for HP was to have something like "HP50>" as the command prompt

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong, and all of that may be allowed, but if not, thats how you could go about fixing it

Anyway, you've gotten much farther than I have, I started working on a space game, but I may get back to work.

You seem to have it organized very nicely, keep up the good work.

Space Game WIP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:36:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:36:26