Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Space Battle - Which components to build first? No code required

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 22:04
Just wondering if someone could give me a brief breakdown of which components to build in which order.

This would be to build a simple 1 on 1 space tag/chase which could be expanded on.

I've already started building something but I don't want to get myself into a loop hole by say building AI for an enemy ship before getting another more basic area sorted first.

Or if people could gibve me a list of things it would be advisable to do first or not before something else.

I'd just like a basic run down on the chapter order you would do.
eg.
1.Load models etc
- Load models of ships etc
2.Make a playing area
- Create a star sphere and area boundries
3.Make an enemy to chase / Basic AI
- Make a enemy ship fly around pattern x
4.Create a ship to chase enemy
-Create user controls and HUD and movement
5.Win situation
- Create missile/laser and health tag condition

This is how I'd do it but I don't want to fall into any pitfalls part way. So if anything obvious or even minor stands out.. please let me know.

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Fa1con
Years of Service
User Offline
well what i would but this is just me:

1. make map/background/leve(whatever you call it)
2. load your ship
3. make it move and shoot
4. make AI go on your path
5. make you be able to kill AI
6. make AI kill you
7. add health and scores if you want

im not sure if thats the game you want but im actually working on a game like that right now and i followed that pattern then added a lot more enemies and bosses and even added a menu. so that is just a basic then build from there.
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2007 23:30
Quote: "4. make AI go on your path "

Um I'm not exactly sure what that is?

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 14:13 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 14:14
I think he means making the AI ship move.

That can be done by giving it either a patrol path or creating a search and pursue set of instructions (recommended), but that will take time so you may want to create a path system for testing purposes.

Making nothing for the forth straight year.

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 15:05
...1. make map/background/leve(whatever you call it)
2. load your ship

Naah, make it fully in DBP source

Better than X3

Just kidding...an abandoned engine attempt got stuck on a walk on sphere issue.
Feel free to take any ideas
cheers
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 15:19
Quote: "That can be done by giving it either a patrol path or creating a search and pursue set of instructions (recommended), but that will take time so you may want to create a path system for testing purposes."

yeah I'm thinking I will just get it to patrol around one specific spot then if your ship comes into range break off and attack or run.

I'm ok'ish at coding and as long as I know which *chunk* I'm coding next I seem to be able to manage. I don't know how people can build whole engines (even basic ones) in one hit then test. I have to do a chunk test if it works and then - bolt on another bit. Probably not the best way but I don't think my brain can handle working with several parts while building a project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:24:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:24:34