Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / its worth change from DBpro to GDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 03:24 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 03:28
I already own Dark basic pro, but I see Dark GDK so interesting, Should I buy it even if I already have Darkbasic?.

I also wanna know if I can compile FPS creator source code in Dark GDK because I wanna make a MoD of it.

And last one, its compatible with Dark shader, Dark AI and Dark physics? because I wanna buy them so bad!.

Thanks in advance!

By the way, I use Vista 64bits, Darkbasic pro and FPS creator 1 works fine to me in Vista 64, I guess this should work fine too

Intel Pentium core 2 duo T6600 2,6 mhz 4mb, 4 gb ram 600 mhz ddr2, ATI X1650 radeon

http://www.freewebs.com/raycosantana/
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 12:45
Sopo the tocho first of all you believe you should only jump to GDK if you have solid bases of C++ or C#, then you must understand that GDK is not the main flag or TGC so forget DarkAI or DarkPhysics, though as an alternative you have some physics libraries and dark shader, about the mod maybe it's possible don't know! Finally your computer should work fine, GDK is much lighter and faster than dbp!!

In my oppinion YES I believe you should buy GDK or GDK.NET, one thing is to program in dbp which I belive is very limited, heavier , slower, and not OO (object oriented) other thing is to program like a "man", have more control of the application, understand more closelly how things really work, that all give you a wider perspective what really is game programming!

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 12:48
Im agree with Jna99. Buy GDK(.NET) and start to use real programming

If you are using the .NET you will see that there are far more debugging facilities than in DBPro.

Jna99 - You forgot VB

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
Sopo the tocho
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you should only jump to GDK if you have solid bases of C++ or C#"

C++ its tough
I had read some books it may help.

I feel like I need something better than DBpro for my games, I still thinking DB its a great program though, but I want something more professional.

I will buy the "lite" license for now, and then If I finish my game with it I will upgrade it.

Thank you guys

Intel Pentium core 2 duo T6600 2,6 mhz 4mb, 4 gb ram 600 mhz ddr2, ATI X1650 radeon

http://www.freewebs.com/raycosantana/
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 20:49 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 20:51
"Program Like a Man" followed by ".Net" is kind of funny.

"Program like a Man" followed by C++, Delphi, FreePascal, or assembler - yeah - that I can see!

Seriously - .net is OOP but its not nearly as fast as C++, Delphi, FreePascal, or assembler. Its a main stream thing made that way by microsoft - and because such a big player is backing it - there is a ton of support stuff to make things really easy - lots of stuff is done for you... (which is why I found this whole thing kind of amusing)

[edit] I'm not saying coding .net is a breeze by a long shot - but coding "closer to the operating system so you know what's going on"... .net obfusiates (hides) most anything close to hardware worse than the regular win32 api stuff does.

Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 21:11
jason p sage I understand completely your .Net reservations but I was trying to separate dbp from the other languages

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 01:06
@Jna99 - And separate them you did very well!

I've been coding awhile - and as coders with time under their belt know - you can't master everything and know everything - which is obvious when you read my forum babble.

Sometimes - I read something that brings something to mind that I feel I should write a blurb about for the benefit of others... and I do. I try to recall those keywords and phrases that could potentially help connect the dots as it were for them.

I do this because I find more key information from "missed" searchs online but someone says some seemingly random thing that triggers me to try a different search and Whella - the holy grail from google! What I needed to know right THERE!

That was the only reason for my babble. I've enjoyed everyone's comments and the original thread etc. I love coming here - its a blast and I learn alot.

Just yesterday I learned that textures take up video Ram even when the object is hidden (Thanks Dark Coder) - I was kinda mad because I thought hidden meant "out of Video - out of video's mind. Silly me. And this is coming from a guy who can write low level code to fill and switch video ram buffers directly through hardware ports on Operating systems that allow it!

...see... there is another rant... I'll be quiet now

RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK is fairly similar to DarkBasic, so you only really need to learn basic stuff about c++, but if you want to make it object oriented, you will need to learn more advanced stuff like handling exceptions, operator overloading and conversion operators. Object oriented code is easier to handle when projects get large, though.
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 19:15 Edited at: 4th Sep 2007 19:16
Object oriented is really the only way to make a game IMO. Although if you didn't know what OOP was about then you could not realize this.

Take an analogy for example..

Vehicle (this is a class)

a vehicle can drive, stop, turn, explode.
these are functions.

it also has a color, gas, miles..
these are variable members.

some variables change and get set, some stay constant. Some are to be used within the class others out side.

So I can do something like make new car of type Vehicle

now i have a car with all those properties.

I can also make a van or truck or buss, from this class.. with one line of code..

the I can do things like

Car.drive();

truck.stop();

van.setColor( 255, 200, 100 );

Or I could do things like set up a Vehicle class and have it inherit my object class.

then my Vehicle now takes on the properties and functions of my object class..

So my car can be used with as a GDK object.

Car.setPosition( vPos );

And we have not even scratch the surface yet.. it is fun to learn but put aside some time, it's nothing like linear coding.
RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that object oriented programming can be easier than linear programming. If you go to the topic in this board 'Do you use object orientation' there is an example of moving an animation across the screen using just DarkGDK and then an example using my OO library. The OO code is a lot simpler, although it does take time to learn to create your own classes, use exceptions etc.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 04:33
Back to topic - I now have some more time under my belt learning C++ (I've "known" the basics of it for years but never really coded with it...like FreePascal and Borland prior more) but since I've forced myself to go through this tutorial as a refresher for somethings and straight up learn for others:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Things have been much better. Frankly - I'm almost at the point of no return to DBPro. I mean I made my own double link list classes (A great learning exercise for pointers, typecasting, etc... many levels deep) so I have Dynamic arrays more or less and some other neat "Get me By" things like my own String class LOOSLY based on a cross between FreePascal's "AnsiString" data type and the .Net C# way. I know there is a strings.h lib - but for learning - I went with making my own bit shuffler

Now that I have some "basics" done - I'm starting to touch the tip of the iceberg of the GDK stuff. Every few steps into it I find I need something else "before" I should continue - like my own collection of file handling stuff to make reading/writing easier for the kinds of things I need most - Read config stuff - and write log files and config stuff...not to mention levels or whatever

... In short I'm having a blast and learning a language that is marketable on its own as C++ surely is - as is C# etc. Whatever your flavor - its worth it to me.

Especially with a single cube DBpro App gives me 202 or thereabouts FPS compared to 348fps thereabouts in C++ thats a big improvement in CPU cycles to use towards game stuff!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:15:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:15:51