Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any tutorials for DarkGDK? I can't for the life of me find any at all, I was told before to read the DBP tutorials but the structure is different and it will only confuse me and hinder my ability to learn anything.

- Scarface
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 18:29
Have a look at the sticky thread Essential tools and links for DGDK & DGDK.NET

Near the bottom there is a link to download lots of samples.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
I already have those, they are good for a reference on how effect and things like that work if you already know how to code in DarkGDK, but if you don't know the basics then they aren't much use and they don't actually teach anything like a tutorial does, I was thinking more like walkthough tutorials which explains each step just like they have for DBP, otherwise it's difficult to learn anything from just looking at examples, but thanks for the suggestion.

- Scarface
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 20:36
Quote: " if you already know how to code in DarkGDK, but if you don't know the basics then they aren't much use and they don't actually teach anything like a tutorial does"

the dgdk/dgdk.net assume prior experience in OOP coding in C++ or one of the .NET languages. I doubt you will find a dgdk tutorial that shows anything other than how to use certain items in the dgdk.

Some DBP tutorials and help files teach both general BASIC coding AND DBP item usage - this is not the case in the DGDK. DGDK or any SDK for that matter is normally just a set of programmatic extensions for users that already know the coding basics of their chosen environment.

hope that helps explain it.

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 20:36
@scarface;
I've done a small tutorial that was published on TGC Newsletter #54 (the next one coming on #56). It is very simple, but explain the basics to set a startup application. It was done for DGDK.NET, but the commands are the pretty same, maybe it can help you out. Anything else, feel free to ask.

Here's the link to the newsletter: http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_54.html#5
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
@CattleRustler, that makes sense but I wasn't aware of this before I bought it otherwise I probably would have thought twice about it, I have basic C++ experience so it's not entirely new to me, but handling DarkGDK functions without tutorials is a tad difficult

@kBessa, thanks for the link, I am going to read it now

- Scarface
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 02:41
well thats what the forums are for
I see youve been starting a million threads
you might use the DBP help as a guide, to see their examples in BASIC before needing to post a question here. The commands are essentially the same, the only diffs being how it would be worded in DBP BASIC vs C++ vs VB.NET vs C#

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
Well slight exageration with the thread count 7 threads in an entire day isn't alot for a noob

And as for using DBP as a guild i'll do just that, i'm starting to get the feel for the language now as it's not too disimilar to my usual scripting language, so I hope it isn't too long until I can stop making a million threads per day

- Scarface
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 02:44
Why stop at a million threads - that's how clothes are made

Seriously bro - What , you have C++ - me too. I'm new to DarkGDK - and I'm just starting to get it too - I'm having fun for the most part and that's what you need to be doing. Do you need a C++ primer?

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Need some source? Have you looked in the Forums on how to set up your Visual C++ 2005 Express and everything? You at least getting hello world? Maybe a cube?

Is it the strings that are throwing you? There is a strings object in <string.h> header but I don't use that - ONLY because I use my own little string thing - one - it works, I still can use the string.h functions - and I stay really close to it because I wrote it - helps me with learning and keeping me up to speed on pointers versus using something so tidy you forget how to do it yourself.

Tutorials - I too am in short supply - but C++ aside - Have you programmed in DarkBasic Before? I know the syntax is different yada yada - but Cattle Rustler is right - you should be able to start some reall mini apps in either darkbasic or dark basic classic and then try your hand at getting the same results in C++.

(Providing you can get hello world going)

Whatever bro - keep posting - we'll do what we can -

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:19