Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / more collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 18:51 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2007 18:53
my moddeling and texturing skills have gotten better...........my programming is coming on quite well.........making my own textures has become a doddle.

but for the bleeding life of me i cant make a decent collision programme.
i dont want to use plug ins , i want to make my own but im having problems under standing the theory for the programme.
i made some collision which seemed to work ok until you hit from the oposite side of the wall and it went wrong( got the new object coords to minus 1 but when i walked backwards or turned around and collided then it went belly up)

ive looked at some of the examples and tuts but they seem to add everything else into it and the code can get a bit confusing...................so is anyone able to explain to me how to pass the new coords with the old coords and resetthe new to old so the object wont ghost through a wall

please bear in mind my user name lol

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 20:31
You mention that you've read some tutorials, but not which ones.

Have you checked out number 10 here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

It's for DBP and DBC and covers the very basics so should start you off in the right direction.

TDK_Man

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 20:34
Well, unless you know some C or C++, deciding to 'make your own' instead of using plugins might not be a great idea. Sparky's is an awesome system, and it's completly free. I recommend.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 20:54 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2007 20:55
Quote: "deciding to 'make your own' instead of using plugins might not be a great idea"

I have to disagree slightly.

Yes, Sparky's is a very good plug-in. It is more accurate than the built-in collision and is faster. It's way better so there's no argument from me on that count.

However I think that having a good understanding of the built-in collision makes using a plug-in like Sparky's that much easier to learn and use.

For a lot of newcomers, the built-in collision is actually good enough for what they need. Later on, when that's not the case then by all means move up to a superior plug-in - but with the knowledge of how DB's native collision works.

TDK_Man

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 21:02
I understand how they work, but if you want to make your own, go ahead, nothing stopping you.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 21:15
Actually, I don't think he means 'make his own' as in create a collision plug-in, I'm sure he just means use DB's native collision commands.

Re-reading it, I can see how it could be read like that though.

TDK_Man

tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 00:19
@tdk nice one mate....at last , a straight forward tut.

i wont be writing any plugins lol, but the funny thing is.....years ago i asked a freind for a language to start learning and he gave me a book on c++.
i can program small things (clocks calculators,guessing games and such,nothing fancy) in c++ but for some reason im having problems porting over to dbpro. i do think in lines of c++ when using dbpro such as functions and stuff which makes my life a lot easier but still muddles me due to the syntax.
i was thinking of dgsdk but i guess i would have the same problems ( collision) there too.
anyway..this time next year i should have my little dream of making my game finished (an fps game based on the ridley scott "alien")

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 00:21
Nono, I realized he wanted to make his own using DBPro commands, but what I'm saying is that they honestly aren't extremely powerful. Go ahead though, I did that at first.
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 00:52
its mainly because the more i know about dbpro the better ill be.
i wont be making anything spectacular anyway,most game makers (pros) have a team of about 30 people....im on ma todd.
just a hobby so for now core commands are a-o-k.

the way i look at it is this....if i use plugins for everything then i might as well use fpsc......i want to write from scratch.

its just that somtimes im a bit of a thick git lol

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 02:03
Quote: "the way i look at it is this....if i use plugins for everything then i might as well use fpsc......i want to write from scratch."

I understand that feeling, but having a little help really won't hurt. And you don't need to use plugins for everything, but using one for collision is pretty much necessary to make your game the highest quality possible. You're still coding if you use a plugin, but you're just having a little help. And there's nothing wrong with that.

--This is where my sig would be if I had the energy to make one...--
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 23:13 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 23:21
yaaaay
i now understand collision.
now ive figured it (basic collision)) i cant beleive how simple it is.
now just to get used to sliding collision and advance it.
thanks everyone for helping and to tdk for the excellent tuts.
maybe tgc should include your tuts in a book with dbpro.

only one more question, how do i walk on an object and upstairs or ramps, wont the collision commands stop me, or do i set the y coord to match the height of the object?

culmor30
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 00:50
Dunno, I just use the DarkPhysics character controller... but you'd have to buy that if you don't have it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:30:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:30:31