Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Prophets of Elijah {{56k warning!}}

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 13:58 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 18:47
*EDIT* Very sorry...could a mod please move this to the WIP forum...

Prophets' is a 3rd person Team based RPG/shooter. Set in a derelict future destroyed by pollution you play as one of many factions jostling for control of the "filters" - giant extractor fans, providing pockets of clean air.

The game is still in its very early days. Currently focussing on media, I have some of the many factions modelled and animated, and alot of the environment done.

The current concept is to have a world map with 10 regions, each vast and free-roaming. The overall objective is to control the filter in each region, and convert enemy factions to the way of Elijah.

Engine-wise the game is designed to randomise everything about your team, and your opponents from their weapons to their traits and textures.

For testing purposes I'm currently running a (very) small town map, which is what you can see in the videos and screens. I have a long way to go, but any support would be greatly appreciated.

WIP SHOTS:

Corpus Imperium Marines:

Osmonaughts

Menikmati - The ogre faction

Finally, a link to some gameplay, bear in mind this is VERY early work, with alot of bugs and dodgyness. Although the shell casings are looking pretty nice.
I appologise for poor framerates - it not me it's FRAPS. Obviously the dodgy framerate means that things like muzzleflash don't work correctly...video here

I've noticed some people posting on Youtube asking where various media came from, I can't for some reason post comments on my own videos, so here's a full credits list so far.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 14:33
Looks really awesome!

I love the AI

The movement buggs me but i think its because of FRAPS but all i can say is that you have done great work with this

[center]
Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking nice
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 15:04

This AI looks fantastic. Looking forward to.. whatever you are doing next.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 15:38
Thanks,

It's crazy, I spent 2 months trying to make AI using just the DBpro commands, and went totally postal. Then I got Dark AI, but the auto mode turns them into suicidal retards...

So at the moment it's using the manual mode, which gives me more control over their behaviour: meaning they will seek out cover when injured or outnumbered, patrol randomly around areas they already have defended, group together etc.

I've just implemented an ammo count array for the characters, so they now have to reload...which is requiring some MAJOR re-writing, so that they take cover or retreat when out of ammo.

Out of interest, does anyone know of a good way to do blood? I need it on impact and then splatter. I was using particles but that is too CPU intensive when there are 10 guys on the screen...

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 17:16
Quote: "Out of interest, does anyone know of a good way to do blood? I need it on impact and then splatter. I was using particles but that is too CPU intensive when there are 10 guys on the screen..."

I dont know if this is a good way but you could use a single animated sprite and place it on the objects screen position. 10 sprites on screen shouldn't take up to much cpu.

Game looks very interesting.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 17:36
Interesting and good. Can't wait to see more, shows quality and potential. And cool death animations.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 17:45
Haha, I love how you're including D13's Mack character and the diver guy.

The video looked awesome, Butters, I can't wait to play.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 18:04
This looks AMAZING!

You could have animated plains that appear each time a person is shot, and then when the animation is ending, another plain fades in on the ground with a blood pool texture, making it look like the blood has run onto the ground. After a while, it would fade back out again, and the plain could be reused.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 03:01
looks really cool.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 17:54
Time for some ingame shots.

This is a derelict city map...

Tower blocks are only 3000polys but seem to be causing some major slowdown issues (FPS is 60-64 without them and 30-35 with them), no Idea why as they aren't even assigned to the collision or AI stuff. Looking into it, and currently streamling engine, to optimise things like shell casings and collision.

Shell casings now rotate when they fall, instead of just moving sideways and down, and are all unique in their velocity, direction and angle, I did have them bouncing off the floor etc, but with 10 guys emptying 30 shells per clip, it was calculating like 300 collisions at a time, and got very upset. Oh well.

AI is also improving. Characters now recognise how many enemies they are facing, and what sort of opponent they are engaging, so SMG troops avoid attacking snipers at long range, snipers seek distance from infantry, and all enemies seek cover when heavily outnumbered.

THe next advancement is going to be grenades, which should throw a new tactical element into the mix!

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome

We all want to be awesome, but does awesome want to be us?
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2007 18:17
You're an absolute legend! All the people from the FPSC forums who know you should see this thread.

Are you using any plugins, or just Dark Basic Pro's native commands?

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks excellent. Love the story and setting

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 01:44
Quote: "I dont know if this is a good way but you could use a single animated sprite and place it on the objects screen position. 10 sprites on screen shouldn't take up to much cpu"

THanks dude. I found a useful tutorial in an old news letter that demonstrated how to do explosion FX, so I'm just gonna re-jig that for blood animations.

Quote: "Interesting and good. Can't wait to see more, shows quality and potential. And cool death animations"

Cheers. I hope it will rock bells! And the death animations are from Bond1s HL2 Zombie. I've edited the biped to include mainly my animations tho!

diggsy and game lover, thanks for showing love!

Quote: "You're an absolute legend! All the people from the FPSC forums who know you should see this thread.
Are you using any plugins, or just Dark Basic Pro's native commands?"

Aw thanks man! I wish they would come and show some support. The DB forums are a big scary place. I feel like tarzan in newyork. or something... It'd be nice if people could show some encouragement (thanks to those who have), otherwise I'm doing this with no idea of what people think of it!

Plugins wise, I'm using Sparkys dll, dark AI and EnANims.
I actually have DarkPhysics installed, but because you have to install all that ageia stuff to run the game, I figured that was gonna mean less people played it, plus, as far as I can tell Sparkys is faster!

I'm using darkAI in manual mode to control the behavior of the enemies, and eventually I want to inplement enhanced anims, to cut down on the load times, and be able to have stuff like, wounded guys shooting from the ground.

Thanks for dropping by!

Quote: "This game looks excellent. Love the story and setting"

Cheers dude. Not getting to far into the story as yet, still trying to get a satisfactory engine!

Things are progressing. Just made the map size 9x bigger, with no slowdown! Once that's populated I'll have the core environment done. After that it's gonna need alot of work on the player, and the AI interface (commanding teammates). At the moment all of my efforts have been focussed on the intelligence of the NPCs, and I haven't done much on the player himself! Infact the animations aren't even done propperly!

Demo is miles away, but please, if you like the look of this, ask some questions, make some suggestions and show some support! With all these crashes and coffee, I need it!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Butters: Seeming as you want suggestions I suggest that cover would be awesome and vital with that huge person coming at you from the ogre faction. Because all I see is them standing. It would be better if they and you are taking cover like, a cover animation... Like if you press a button you'll take cover. Like Rainbow six: Vegas.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 05:44
This is looking pretty cool. I watched the vid, and the main thing I recommend is adding a gears of war like camera. I like the feel of the enviorments a lot, though I think you should make them more crowded, from a visual standpoint mostly.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 10:59 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 11:02
Looks great. A good supply of media seems to be doing justice to your project. Can't wait for the grenades, now lets see if you can do ragdoll physics.

EDIT - Did you fix the Dark AI problems you were having?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 13:00
Quote: "I suggest that cover would be awesome and vital with that huge person coming at you from the ogre faction. Because all I see is them standing. It would be better if they and you are taking cover like, a cover animation... Like if you press a button you'll take cover."

I totally agree. I'm actually re-considering how I'm going initiallise the cover system, using a low poly mesh to mark out areas of high, medium and low cover. I definately want a gears style cover system, whereby you can press up against walls and blindfire etc. I'll do some experiments with this week!

Quote: "This is looking pretty cool. I watched the vid, and the main thing I recommend is adding a gears of war like camera. I like the feel of the enviorments a lot, though I think you should make them more crowded, from a visual standpoint mostly."

A ha! I have just put this in, so the FOV of the camera adjust when you run, hide etc. I'm stretching the FOV in the regular view, and it looks alot nicer. With regards to the density of the environment, I'm having some issues with making it much more dense. It's already at around 200000 polys, and there are 7 other blocks to fill (2 blocks already populated).

Quote: "Looks great. A good supply of media seems to be doing justice to your project. Can't wait for the grenades, now lets see if you can do ragdoll physics.

EDIT - Did you fix the Dark AI problems you were having?"

Thankyou dude. Yeah, I'm working hard on the media and textures. Everything is gonna have to look sexy! Grenades are giving me a major headache, as your allies seem intent on killing you. Although its not too hard to use the DarkAI sounds to make them run from a grenade if it lands near them. I'll get there...might have to bite the bullet and switch from Sparkys to DarkPhysics, it'd certainly make the bounce easier...

And yes, cheers mate I did get the animation issues fixed. I think DarkAI has some difficulties if you use more than one Biped. I have now standardised it, so that although the different characters have different wal cycles they share the same frame data. i.e. all run sequences occur between 90 and 110.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 13:48
Quote: "I'll get there...might have to bite the bullet and switch from Sparkys to DarkPhysics, it'd certainly make the bounce easier..."

If the grenades are anything but simple spheres then it would be a good idea to use dark physics for them. I use a mixture of sparky's and Dark Physics and it works quite well as long as I keep the physics updates to a minimum.

Quote: "And yes, cheers mate I did get the animation issues fixed. I think DarkAI has some difficulties if you use more than one Biped. I have now standardised it, so that although the different characters have different wal cycles they share the same frame data. i.e. all run sequences occur between 90 and 110."

Thats good to hear, I'm getting Dark AI soon so that should help me, thanks.

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 16:46
Hey, the game engine seems really good, so far Graphics are good and well mixed together (since they come from various sources as from the credit list), I especially liked the animation of the soldier who has been hit.

As a personal opinion, since you are now concentrating on media, I'd suggest to add something original to the game, in order to make it not the usual FPS game, some twisting idea would be good.

IE:
-the filters: you could make them huge deep in the ground, with elevators that go down, developing some levels in vertical instead of horizontal.
-since the story focuses in a devastated land, you could add some puzzles covering chemistry or some kind of anti-pollution formula, needed to enter some sections of the map
-a James Bond style level into the filters' tube system

The beginning is cool, keep up the good work!

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 17:00
I would just like to clarify that:

Although not all the media is mine, 95% of the textures are mine. I admit that I have recieved models from various sources, but all of it has been tweaked, retextured and edited. So yes, I am using other stuff, but I'm not just plonking it in, I'm taking care with every entity.

Quote: " make it not the usual FPS game"

Don't worry about that. The FPS view is simply for screenshots and video. The game is strictly 3rd person and isometric.

Quote: "the filters: you could make them huge deep in the ground, with elevators that go down, developing some levels in vertical instead of horizontal."

I love that idea. I've got this idea that the filters are these geiger-esque sort of machines. Gigantic fans, etc. I'm not sure about them being deeply subterrainian, as this will play havoc with my AI engine, but I do really like the idea of working in vertical as opposed to horizontal.
Quote: "
puzzles covering chemistry or some kind of anti-pollution formula"

Once I have a more complete engine, I would love to add features of construction, such as being able to construct hazmat suits from materials you find... I think this could easily be done, with certain components glued to set bones, and the whole system controlled by a similar array setup to the one that does the randomised enemies. I'll look into this.

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 17:20
Quote: "Although not all the media is mine, 95% of the textures are mine. I admit that I have recieved models from various sources, but all of it has been tweaked, retextured and edited. So yes, I am using other stuff, but I'm not just plonking it in, I'm taking care with every entity."

In fact the overall looking is omogeneous and smooth, and that would not be possible without a lot of tuning work.

Quote: "Once I have a more complete engine, I would love to add features of construction, such as being able to construct hazmat suits from materials you find... I think this could easily be done, with certain components glued to set bones, and the whole system controlled by a similar array setup to the one that does the randomised enemies. I'll look into this."

Sounds cool!

Again, good work!

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 18:01
This game looks very good so far.
Maybe for the characters you could use normal mapping.
Dark shaders can do normal mapping.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 18:38
Quote: "THanks dude. I found a useful tutorial in an old news letter that demonstrated how to do explosion FX, so I'm just gonna re-jig that for blood animations.
"

Which newsletter is this? This would really help me.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 19:10
Explosive Eye Candy might be what the OP was referring to...

common people are walking in line.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 20:14
Yeah that was it!

Quote: "Maybe for the characters you could use normal mapping."

Oh I want to, believe me! I've wasted so many hours of coding time playing with shaders and so on. Trying to get this volumetric shader I have, to work in DB. Would make muzzle flash and explosions look amazing.

I'm looking into normal mapping, but alot of my models are multi-textured so I'm not really sure how it works. Any help on that would be much appreciated.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 22:56
Quote: "I'm looking into normal mapping, but alot of my models are multi-textured so I'm not really sure how it works. Any help on that would be much appreciated."

Look into the Ultimate Shader Pack on this board, I'm sure evolved has a few, he usually comments them well too.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 23:12
I saw a film like this; it was after the apocalypse and there were gangs of people who vied for control of the water supplies.
I think what was good about the film and is not seen in your graphics is that everything they had was made of junk they found, as there would be no factories any more nothing could be mass produced.

In programming, nothing exists
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 05:26
looks totally awesome!!!
Can't wait to see more. I really like the big ogre marines guys
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 12:18
Hey im just wondering, is there any relation to warhammer 40k in your game? cos it strikes me quite a few times how similar a few things are (imperium, marines, "Set in a derelict future destroyed by pollution",ogryns,ect)
Other that that, looks awesome, cant wait to play it
Oh, and a few suggestions i have are :
Camera should be set lower (for that fear effect), more shadows, higher walls, fog.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 12:45
Quote: "I think what was good about the film and is not seen in your graphics is that everything they had was made of junk they found, as there would be no factories any more nothing could be mass produced"

That's cool I guess. I'll get a more detailed story up soon, but to be honest, this is pre-junk. As in Massproduction is still in full effect. Having everything made of junk would be cool. Infact I might do a region like that, but what is in the screens is a kind of ghost town.

Vorg1 - cheers

Quote: "Hey im just wondering, is there any relation to warhammer 40k in your game?"

Nah bud! Although I had a few friends who were really into it when I was a kid, so maybe some of it rubbed off on me!
And I agree with the camera, it it too high at the moment. Things like that are going to be totally tweakable though, and I probably won't settle on a final camera position until post-alpha.

(Matt Jacobsen via email)
Quote: "I have one question about Prophets of Elijah.
-The game/level design looks so fanstastic, so I started to wonder.. witch World editor are you using?"

Thanks matt.
I'm currently building everything in Maya. It's grouped into various uh groups such as low cover, high cover, extra, no collision etc then each group is exported, converted into DBO and dropped into the game.
My only issue with this is my lack of lightmapping. But I'm considering investing in 3DWS. If not that, then Darklights. Don't really know which will be better, as 3DWS just looks like ANOTHER 3D app to have to deal with.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 18:11
I wouldn't get 3DWS. It really isn't anything special (in my opinion).

Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 21:32
you could try deled. it has lightmapping and there is a dbo. exporter for it. It is pretty simple compared to maya. The Lite version is free
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 16:00
Link to a new Youtube video demonstrating the new bllod and muzzleflash effects.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 16:25 Edited at: 8th Sep 2007 16:26
Awesome!! I like the AI a lot, and the muzzleflash and the blood looks so good!

Footsteps W.I.P

[url=nackpro.se.nu]my website[/url] It's swe!
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 18:36
the new video looks nice. liked the zooming out so it showed the scale of the place.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 22:37
Pretty nice. My main compliant is that the movement of everything including the camera is very harsh. Aside from that, I also think you need to add a recoil animation for when a bullet is fired. That would probably make the shooting a lot more satisfying. You might even want to make the camera shake almost unnoticably when a bullet is fired.

Overall pretty impressive

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent I was very impressed, I like the way you did the crouched running. Some of the animations seemed a tad stiff, but you'll probably address that later.

Kronos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 22:54
Exelent!
I cant wait until you are finished!!

The Earth is full, go home!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 15:29
Hey hey.

THings made some serious progress recently. I began modelling the actual first map, which is a kinda grotty tiled concentration camp place, and I got most of the combat system down (blood etc). My final additions to it are going to be ammo limits, reloads and blood splatters.

here's a quick video of the combat...

and some screenies from around the level.

I now have much of the core system in place, and can start working on some more interesting features... more soon

much love
butters

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 17:26
Much love indeed, very good looking there. Shame about the cam glitch at the end .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! Shame about the camera glitch.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 19:28
AH, gimme a break! LOL.

I'm having some trouble with the camera... I mean, it works fine 90% of the time, but I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get EZ rotate.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Is that crosshair 3d? Because its going through the wall but I'm fine with that. Loving the Big Daddy model.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 20:42
The crosshair was dynamic - sticking to the normals of all surfaces directly in front of it, so that you know exactly where you were aiming, but it was another round of collision detections, so until I can economise my collision system, it's a static mesh positioned infront of the player, and uses pick object to detect if you're over a target.

I'm currently working on it changing colour when over a target to represent the health of the thing you're shooting... should be cool.

Once the character modelling is complete, you're gonna see some pretty cool effects on the characters when they take damage...

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd love gore!

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet, showing lots of progress fast. I like the death animations. Its interesting how the AI take cover. Well I wish I could give some constructive criticism that hasn't been pointed out already, but all I can say is, can't wait for the release.

Also : so are you leaving FPSC behind?

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "so are you leaving FPSC behind? "

Well knowing his reputation he won't.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 06:04 Edited at: 13th Sep 2007 06:09
Whoa, cool.

A few recommendations, all camera wise.

First, move the camera to the right a bit, so you're seeing over his right shoulder. Having him in the center of the screen makes looking at everything difficult. Next, make the camera smoother, like when you go into a crouching position.

Really impressive so far.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:26:45