Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Todo for the next release of LightEngine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 08:17 Edited at: 30th Aug 2007 08:17
Hi everyone!
As Apex has done this, I think I should also be asking for some help. Has anybody found any kind of bugs on LightEngine or has seen anything that I missed? Please, post about it here!

Ok, now some updates:
Sorry for the lack of news about LightEngine for the last 2 months (as it was the last time I posted a new version of it). Unfortunately I have been really busy with my personal life and was unable even to open the LightEngine solution for a long time (only at some few and rare spare times).

No, LightEngine is not dead, and far from it! I've got in touch with Sandcastle and it is just wonderful for documentation, so this week I started XML Documentating LE, but it is really a hell of a work, I spent at least 10 hours doing it, and there's still something like 1,3k things missing their <Summary>.

For the next release, v0.5, a complete CHM will be included for sure (at least with the basics of everything function, source code examples in it is a little far away) and complete Intelisense help. I think this will be a great addition. Not only that, I've been adding, removing and changing things.

LightEngine v0.5 will be a great release, almost like v0.4 was. I don't expect to release it before October, but I will do my best. I think I will be able to comply with my expectations: A v1.0 for Christmas

Best regards,
Thiago
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 08:39 Edited at: 30th Aug 2007 08:41
I'll just add some information. (Gave up editing last post as it was already BIG).

As I mentioned before, LightEmReL (Embedded Resource Loader) was incorporated to LightEngine, as it had little functionalities. But I decided to take everything else I was doing out of LE.

These are some plugins I was working on (stopped because of v0.5):

-LightUI: Haven't done much else, just corrected some bugs, but not near in the mood to work on it. (only in 2008) =(
-LightRotation: This one's in its first stages, only one method implemented, the orbitation with angles, but the rest of the functions are unknown. (only in 2008, 2009 or 2010) =P

-LightWFC: Stands for Light Windows Forms Controls, it will be a conversion from LE to Controls and Components. I've been into this for a while, as someone once asked if LightEngine did this (kenjar, if I'm not mistaken).

The only control I worked on but that is ready by now is LightViewport (an extended PictureBox). It might sound I copied the DBViewport control (unfortunately, wasn't able to download it), but I managed to make it really easy: Pick one of your LE projects, add a Form, drag a LightViewport to it, set its properties on the Property Grid and compile! It will run on the viewport without a single line of code. No need to call a LightViewport.Initialize() or code the KillMe() method and add it to the Closed event. Ok, you will have to create a instante of the form and Show it, but that's very basic! =X

I see a great potential with LightWFC, but this will be to LightEngine what LE was to DGDK.NET. A lot of things to work on, and a lot of REALLY HARD work. But no pain no gain, and I'm sure I'll learn a lot of things with it, just like with LightEngine. =)

Ok, I'm out now!
Suggestions and critics are more than welcome!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 10:37 Edited at: 30th Aug 2007 10:40
Sounds good with a new version (and cant wait for UI)

Can you add to 2 functions Im sure will be used a lot?

A function to get a distance from object to object. I know its just to make it but it could be good just to use:

Distance = LightObject.DistanceTo(objLightObject)

And the same with angle

Im also using this to see the object under the mouse

But in theory I dont need to know the from and to objectID. Maybe you can make a new Pick that only have one ToObject? It could be in LightMouse so:

Dim ob = LightMouse.Pick(WhatObject) and should return Object (becuase it can be any object)

These things is not a problem for me to make, but "nice-to-have"

Im planning to have a pre-alfa version of my game by newyear Based on LightEngine...

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 08:28
Hi Niels,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to integrate them as soon as I get to LightObject. I'm still documenting (and it says I'm missing 942 classes, methods, properties, etc. at this right moment).

Just a small update: I have to say that this release will be bigger than I expected, there's some changes, new classes, classes that have been divided into 2 (Like LightMusic, that gave birth to LightCDMusic and LightSound gave birth to Light3DSound). I think this changes are important for the sake of organization.

Bugs being corrected, functionalities being added (or removed, if they were totally useless), and a simple documentation (but with full support for intelisense). Only Project and Item Templates haven't been started but will be done. This will be v0.5 but almost a v1.0 release, and I'm happy with this!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 17:35
I cant wait

What are you using for making docs?

Niels Henriksen
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 19:16
Just VS XML code documentation and Sandcastle to generate the .CHM, nothing else by now.

787 missing docs. Getting there, although I won't touch this before wednesday
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 01:12
Oki... need to look at that becuase I looking for something to make doc with. Have been looking at NDoc but its outdated

Just continue with the work kBessa ..

Niels Henriksen
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 01:14
kBessa, if you're about, could you join #DGDK

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 05:39
Hi Paul, sorry, I was extra busy today (and probably will tomorrow afternoon, night at UK). But I'll try to join as soon as possible.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 07:16 Edited at: 7th Sep 2007 08:15
Great news, I just finished adding XML docs. Now it's time to generate the .CHM (this one takes a whole lot of time, last time this was like 40 minutes).

But before this is done, I'll be revising it, maybe implementing some small functionalities (like the ones Niels mentioned, and math operation for vectors and matrix4: LightVector3 = LightVector3 + LightVector3) and the possibly broken samples (yep, maybe some things will break, but it's just some naming conventions, I swear this is the last time, as now everything is documented, YAY!).

Ok, I'll be taking a look at these things in the morning, too much time coding today!

Cheers everyone!

Thiago

[Edit: Niels, I've added what you've asked for, and credited]
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 16:06 Edited at: 7th Sep 2007 16:08
kBessa - Nice... cant wait to use it

I was thinking about this
Dim ob = LightMouse.Pick(WhatObject)

Maybe it should just return true or LightMouse.Pick() could return the object the mouse is on...

But only if you have time for it

Niels Henriksen
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 18:31
LOL, did you know that I implemented this way?

There are 2 new overloads:
1 - Pick(Object) returns true or false whether the specified object was clicked.
2 - Pick() returns the picked object (or null if no one was picked) going through all the objects array (might be slow).

I just hadn't decide if these methods are going to reside on LightObject or LightMouse class, ouch...

Ok, gotta go, band rehearsal now.

Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 22:16
Quote: "
1 - Pick(Object) returns true or false whether the specified object was clicked.
2 - Pick() returns the picked object (or null if no one was picked) going through all the objects array (might be slow).
"

Perfect.... I think the best place will be in LightMouse class for else we need to send mouseX and mouseY to the function

Niels Henriksen
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 00:33
Yeah, it makes sense. I had to adapt some of the inner codes and objects but it's now possible to do it.

Argh, I still have to create the "Getting Started" tutorials to include in the documentation. But expect a sunday release

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:22:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:22:38