Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A Pong Variant

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 15:58 Edited at: 30th Aug 2007 15:59
Hi, as part of the Star Trek Trader Project I'm teaching myself DarkPHYSICS. So I've started another spin off project that will be converted into trek in some way, but will still essentially start as something different that everyone can use.

The Idea

It's basically Pong with a twist. You will have two bats, one for player one and one for player two. Both players will have 10 points, 1 point will be dedicted every time you miss a ball, and it hit's your back wall. But that's pretty boring. So I'm adding a further twist. You will be able to shift your bat forward, adding accelleration to the ball. Also there will be a slope at the bottom leading to a pit, if the ball ends up in the pit, the last person to hit the ball, looses one point. This will add a little bit of tactic to the game, in that if you have say 2 points and the other player has 1 point and the ball is moving slowly or at and angle that will bounce off your wall and into the pit, then you and intentionally miss the ball and win the game that way. Further more there will be a drifting target moving up and down the middle of the playing field, it will be a sphereical shape and whoever hit the ball last, will gain 1 point if that target it hit. Of course if the target knocks the ball trajectory into the pit then you'll instantly loose that point anyway.

The game will take place in a zero gravity enviroment. The final game converted for STT will likely be something like bounce the photon torpedo, but that doesn't matter right now.

This is intended to be a multiplayer game, at first it will simply be for two people at a keyboard, if I want too I'll think about adding TCP/IP play to it as well.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
That seems awesome but you need to be developing the game.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 21:08
Just throwing this out there incase you like it better:

I had an idea for a pong game as well. Its in 3D, standard setup (2 paddles, ball, and a board to play on). The catch is the board is balancing on a triangle positioned right in the middle, and the paddles are on tracks on the board. The board is effected by everything's movement. So, if I moved my paddle to the right, the board would tilt right. If the other player went to the left, it might balance out a bit. The ball effects it as well, so if the ball is heading to the top left side, the board leans in that direction due to the ball's weight. Then there'd be powerups that would effect the physics, things like no gravity, heavier balls, etc.

Dont wana hijack the thread, just an idea I had eons ago and am never going to sit down and put it into action, so feel free to use all / anything from that if you'd like. Your idea sounds pretty good as is.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 22:43 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 02:12
All idea's are appreshiated, that's the whole point of a WIP after all, to get idea's I might not have thought off. I think a tilting table is an interesting idea. But not for this version, is prob a bit advanced for my DarkPHYSICS knowledge right now, but as I improve I'll bare it in mind. Thanks for the idea!

Attachments

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:30 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 02:13
Okey dokey, first screenshot. Collisions are enabled with DarkPHYSICS so the ball bounces around easily. It's medialess as you can see, and I doubt I'll ever add any media too it to be honest. Just working out how to design a material or subroutine that adds to the speed of the ball, depending on weather or not it hits a wall, bat or bat with acelleration enabled.

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:33
That looks good
liking the 3d.
if only it was in DB......
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:35
Sorry, no DarkBASIC Classic for me. I'm lazy, I'd rather use the DarkPHYSICS Engine then code my own physic engine or track down and work out a free one. Also, DarkBASIC Classic doesn't like Windows Vista 64-bit.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dark Dragon: Why do you whine about it not being in DBC. He could make a .exe for you and then you can play it that way.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:38 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 04:39
no directx 9.0 for me. and i cant download it because of my dad's proxy.thats why i whine.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Proxy's don't do any thing to Microsoft stuff.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:43
they dont? he told me.....
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope. It only blocks things with Viruses.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:50
hmmm.. thanks didn't know that...
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 16:36 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 02:02
There you go guys, the first version. This is a single player version. No scoring yet, but the ball bounces, and the pads move with the Q and A key's. Both pads mirror each other in this version, so you can sit there and play the game against yourself. See how long you can play for before you stop batting the ball between the two bats. Also see how long you can do this for without the ball going down the hole in the middle! It's alot more difficult then it seems.

It's completely medialess, so this is as small as I could make the program.

* file removed now out of date *

Attachments

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 02:08 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 22:52
Green wall, no points lost
Yellow Wall 1 point lost, (left player 1, right player 2)
Red Panel 4 points lost, (last person to hit ball)
First person to have score of zero or below, looses.

Q and A player one up and down.
Up and Down arrow player two up and down.

* File Removed, now out of date *

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 02:46
Downloaded the first version, enjoyed the speed/physics. Now downloading the latest.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 03:15
Lol, I managed to get the ball outside exactly between green and red in the last version. Controls felt a bit too slow, plus I miss forward pad movement .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 04:13
That should earn you four points, since hitting the red loses 4.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 22:47 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 23:02
Right then, let see:

Hit the target in the middle, get extra points, hit the red plate, you loose more points then if you hit yellow walls. Timer has been added, if you exceed my time, you'll get it saved so you can beat your own.

I've added to this version:

Music
Sounds
An installer
Adjusted camera angle
Oh yeah, I'm calling it DarkPONG now because I couldn't think of another name!

Enjoy!

Click on the image or click HERE

And yes, I rendered that, didn't borrow it from anywhere unlike the last one. You can tell, she's got an unnatural bluge in her neck and her makeup ends half way down it! First class rendering for a whole 45 seconds setup.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 01:43
Jeez Kenjar, drop those images

Downloading...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:25:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:25:14