Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / please help the newbie

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
in my journey to master dbpro i have come across another hinderance that is impeding my progress.

i am using a basic model veiwer to view my 3d works. here is the code that i am using:

[/code]sync on : sync rate 30

load object "el camino.3ds",1
set object speed 1,100 `default object speed is 100. change it if you want it to run slower

modsize# = object size (1) `get the model's size
maxframes = total object frames(1) `get the total number of animation frames in the model

rem set the camera up based on model size
position camera 0.0,(modsize#*2.0),modsize#*(-4.0)
point camera 0.0,(modsize#/2.0),0.0

do

loop object 1,1,maxframes

rem control camera zoom and model rotation
if leftkey() then yrotate object 1,object angle y(1)-1.0 `rotate model left
if rightkey() then yrotate object 1,object angle y(1)+1.0 `rotate model right
if upkey() then move camera 0.1 `move camera forward
if downkey() then move camera -0.1 `move camera backward

rem show some data
set cursor 0,0
print "current object animation speed: ",int(object speed(1)) `added INT to make it an integer - just prettier that way.
print "current animation frame: ",object frame(1)
sync
loop
[code]

this is the problem that i am running into. when i put in the respective file and execute, nothing shows up! the 3d model itself is originally drawn in autocad and is exported in the .dxf file format. the software that i am importing it to is called blender. it spits 3ds, .x, .md2, and md3 file formats. to investigate the software for yourselves, go to www.blender.org.
next, i am saving the 3d files in the same folder that the code is saved in so that the compiler don't have to look to far. what in God's name am i doing wrong?!?

lastly, i am forwording the respective file that i am experimenting with. now mind you, it is a WIP so no comments from the peanut gallery!

you guys are extremely helpfull and in my book, i think you are all the best.

any assistance is appreciated

p.s. i have the file saved in the native milkshape file format as well.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 08:33 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 08:46
ok, first of all, your line 9:

Quote: "
load object "el camino 2.3ds",1
"

tries to load a file that you didn't include in the zip. is this a typo?

and, try to not use blank spaces when naming stuff. ie, "el_camino_1.x" is better than "el camino 1.x".
it will save you some grief in the future.

"el camino.3ds" (this appears to just be a 64x64 plain (tagged "ground") and "el camino 1.x" (this appears to be an incomplete el camino) load and display fine in the (very familiar) model viewer included.

combined snap shot:

"el camino.x" appears to be corrupt. wouldn't load in modeler nor dbpro. causes MASSIVE freeze-up.

the other formats (ms3d,blend,dxf) are ones i don't use (and neither does DBPro) so i don't know but the one x and the 3ds appear to be ok, as does the basic model viewer (seeing how you didn't change a thing sense i offered the code to you. heh).

if the 2 files that show for me WON'T show for you, i really don't see why they wouldn't... it's all pretty basic/clear cut stuff. can you load ANY x file in DBPro and have it show correctly?

also, the one "bad" x file... probably has something to do with how you exported it. the other 3 formats and the one "bad" x are something(s) you should ask about in the 3D forum, too.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

southpaw
Years of Service
User Offline
so el camino 1.x is the ok file?

also, i saved the other file formats so that you can upload it to your native 3d modeling software that you use. But yes, the model that i am building is an el camino.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 09:09
"el camino 1.x" is one that loads ok in DBPro.

it displays ok but when you zoom in and out, at some threshhold it appears to cull and act strange. i thought it was a camera range issue so i altered the view but it still loses faces. i really think your issues are stemming from the model itself. best to head over to 3d forum and/or ask for people to analyze your models (it's not my forte or i'd help). it might be in how you're exporting to X... i dunno.

btw, over 20,000 polygons for a partial el camino? if you plan on using it for a game, that's way overkill. this i do know. heh. good luck

Virtual Nomad
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
el camino 1.x look,ok.
el camino.3ds look,ok.
el.x err.

try Download.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 09:20 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 09:21
SET CAMERA RANGE 0.1 , 3000

i had set to 1,5000 thinking "1" was close enough. 0.1 made a lotta difference! good catch

Virtual Nomad
southpaw
Years of Service
User Offline
i am working on the polygon issue. i have just learned from chatting with you guys that either autocad spits out alot of polygons, or i may need to revise my modeling techniques.
other than that the el camino.x file that is giving us the error was exported from milkshape. and the the other .x file was exported from blender(the one that worked). anywho, thank you guys for helping me out.

by the way, what 3-d modeling software you guys use?
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 16:38 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2007 17:38
SET CAMERA RANGE
A default was this, And I changed it a little.
SET CAMERA RANGE 1 , 3000

The number of the polygons of an action game is around 1,000 from 500.
Model data of real TombRaider are these, You may be useful.

The polygon modeler that I uses is Metasequoia.
It is easy to treat it with simplicity.
MetasequoiaLE R2.3b-2 
http://www.metaseq.net/english/index.html
Sample data of a low polygon are included.

Attachments

Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The number of the polygons of an action game is around 1,000 from 500."

Some games use several thousand polygons for one character...

Though I agree that 20,000 is way overkill for a partly finished car. The main spaceship for my game is 5,000 polygons and I haven't even deleted any of the unnecessary polygons or gone about reducing the amount of polygons in it's numerous round parts.

Space Game WIP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 05:10:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 05:10:27