Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Battle Arenas Demo (Co-op Action RPG)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:32 Edited at: 5th Sep 2007 23:33
I'm wondering if I'll finish this game, so I decided to release a demo to get feedback. Battle Arenas is a simple RPG where you take on the role of a custom made gladiator. You battle through waves of monster in gladiator-style combat. While resting, you can talk to various NPCs to shop, heal, upgrade weapons and stats, smith new items, etc.

Screen:

1 on 1 battle with a slime

Download

Default Controls:
Select/Attack/Talk - Space
Jump/Drop Item - Control
Cancel/Use Healing Item - Shift
Menu - Enter

The demo contains only C Grade items and should last 1-2 hours. When you first start, select New Gladiator to name and color your character. You may also want to customize the controls.

Please give me some feedback, mainly if I should continue working on this or not.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:59
Looks good, even though i cant play it!
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 02:15
Very good! I've not really played RPG games, so this is all a bit new to me, but it seems pretty solid. One problem is that i couldn't figure how to go "back" in the menus where you talk to the people, and when i exited with shift, i often inadvertanly used a herb straight after.
I like the look of the game, although you probably want to work on the walking animation etc at some point. The eye-in-a-jelly monsters are really cool. I failed to kill the queen bee BTW.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looks good, even though i cant play it!"

Thanks, sorry you can't play DX9 games.

Quote: "Very good! I've not really played RPG games, so this is all a bit new to me, but it seems pretty solid. One problem is that i couldn't figure how to go "back" in the menus where you talk to the people, and when i exited with shift, i often inadvertanly used a herb straight after.
I like the look of the game, although you probably want to work on the walking animation etc at some point. The eye-in-a-jelly monsters are really cool. I failed to kill the queen bee BTW."

I appreciate the comments. I'll think about a way to stop talking to people without finishing the conversation. The boxy men and animations will probably be replaced if I continue with this.

Queen Bee has a lot of life, but you can dodge all the attacks by jumping over them. I'm wondering if I should make it easier...

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 07:52
Action RPGs are generally a different breed to the traditional RPGs, like Final Fantasy or Dungeons&Dragons games.

My favourite action rpgs are Zelda, Sudeki (yeah not many ppl like that for some odd reason) and Fable.

If you ask me though Sudeki was about the only real action rpg there is on the market right now, the rest are just action adventure games where you do very little in relation to actual leveling your character through stat-based elements.

This is why I loved Sudeki so much, because you had a real rpg element to it; but the entire game had alot of action and platforming aspects to it too. A blend of everything, really. Although unfortunately the story was a bit weak, especially as the ending seems to very quickly wrap up near the end with only a short (15-20hr) game aspect.

Hopefully though this will take alot from that title in terms of what they did right rather than wrong, and not be an overly simplified or even overly complex rpg game like most are.

At some point I'd love to work on an Action RPG, but I have my own in mind for when I finally have time to dedicate to such a project.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone else play this?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 04:09
np. i guess it will take some time...
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 10:37
@Raven - Yay! Someone else who likes Sudeki!

@Jimpo - Looks pretty interesting. I'll try it as soon as I have some time.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 19:40
Sounds interesting. I'll download it now and give you some feedback when I have time to play it.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 21:05 Edited at: 15th Sep 2007 22:03
Quote: "@Raven - Yay! Someone else who likes Sudeki!"

Another person here!

[EDIT] BTW, how much does Sudeki cost where you live? I had mine in a games mag @~5$.

Make games, not war.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 09:43
@Accoun - Yeh, about the same here. I got my copy as soon as it came out though so I paid full price. I had just finished work experience at Climax (developers of Sudeki) and had played it there and loved it so I bought it as soon as it came out.

@Jimpo - Pretty nice start. However, it isn't really an action RPG yet; you just walk up to each other and hold space till someone dies.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 14:21
I had seen it from Fileplanet, and it looked quite interesting. Didn't have many Xbox games at that point so thought it was something worth getting even if I did end up hating it.

iirc got it for £25 for the Xbox, and recently got the PC-DVD version too for £5 in the bargin bin at Game trade-in store

Only thing that I find is a shame, are some glitches that they never fixed for the PC (mainly in gameplay) and the lack of Xbox controller support. In-fact the controller support on the whole is quite poor.

Still well work playing for those who haven't already. Sort of hope Climax make another one, but this time spend more time on it to make a larger game; improve on the ideas they started with the original.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 14:31
Quote: "I got my copy as soon as it came out though so I paid full price."

In the games mag I bought it was ~3 months after relase

Make games, not war.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys got me interested in Sudeki now...

Quote: "Pretty nice start. However, it isn't really an action RPG yet; you just walk up to each other and hold space till someone dies."

What could I do to give it more action? Every enemy attack in the game is dodge-able, and I thought the damage was high enough to force the character to dodge and move around. Is the combo system too simple, or just poorly explained, or even both?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 18:31
Well a possible idea is to make it so that the player can 'lock on' to an enemy and then their movement will be relative to the enemy.

For example, you could make it so tapping shift switches between enemies to 'lock on' to. Then, whilst 'locked on', the player always faces that enemy and can move towards or away from it but pressing left or right will circle it so that there are different ways of dodging attacks.

Also, either more than one attack button to vary attacks and maybe add combos or a timing based system so that you have to push space at the right moment otherwise the attack will miss or be blocked.

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well a possible idea is to make it so that the player can 'lock on' to an enemy and then their movement will be relative to the enemy."

Lock on is something I would like to have, but the problem is it uses up another button. I'm thinking instead of having to press a button to use a healing item, monsters can drop heart items that automatically heal you when picked up, Zelda style. Then it frees up a button for locking on. Which system do you think is better, pressing a button to heal or auto-healing when you pick up the item?

Quote: "Also, either more than one attack button to vary attacks and maybe add combos or a timing based system so that you have to push space at the right moment otherwise the attack will miss or be blocked."

I guess I didn't explain it well enough. There is a timed combo system and 3 special moves. This leads to another problem, how to teach the player how to play the game without boring them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:39:07