Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / My new project (the successor to Felony Rise)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 14:12 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2007 19:46
Please leave a comment if you view this thread

Videos
Enemy AI and shell casings
WIP ambulance

For screenshots, go to the last page

story

This game is going to be entirely open ended. From the start, you have to look around to find jobs and as you meet new people, you get phone numbers. You can then go to a phone box and phone a person for work.

Most of the jobs involve criminal activity, and the more jobs you do, the more you unlock. You can even work "freelance" and just go around making money any way you want. You can visit a supplier, for discount drugs, rob shops, banks, steal cars and sell them at warehouses. It's all you choice.

Also, from the main menu you will be able to access "mini games". These include...

-bus driver
-police officer
-paramedic
-fire fighter
-riot police
-vehicle breakdown
-taxi driver
-Street race

...And many more.

The demo will be out, hopefully, by Christmas. The demo will include the following.

-A small section of the city
-Many little interior areas (shops, houses, warehouses, garages etc)
-Pedestrians
-Basic traffic
-police on foot and in car
-gang members
-shooting and combat system
-ONE drivable vehicle
-an ambulance calling system for when you're injured
-one mission
-unlimited demo, no time limit

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 15:08
Hey looks pretty good

[center]
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yesssss! I remember felony rise! I got so excited until it fell of the first page, but now its back(FINISH IT)!Yay!

Your about to get pwned.
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 17:23 Edited at: 9th Sep 2007 17:23
Very nice. Could you maybe post of video of what you can do, since I assume a lot of hard work went into the animations and pictures don't give them justice. Will you be adding missions or will it purely be running around doing what ever?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 18:04
Ok. Here's a small video showing some of the features. Sorry, the map isn't that big at this stage and FRAPS slows down the game (frame rate is good in reality).

Dr Manette, the game will have missions and will be story based. The playable demo will contain one mission.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 18:49
That aint too bad, very well done!

Haha, I figured it was set in England, the whole enviroment and feeling just felt right. Only thing I would wanna point out so far is you might wanna work a bit more on your texturing. The house and pavement look a little funny. Especially the oversized window. At the corner.

Quote: "Police AI (The police will give chase if you break the law."

If that cop is after the character for parking at a double line, Im very very impressed with your AI.

Mico

p.s What with the music in the video?
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 18:58
Some of the house texturing is a bit messy but time will fix this. The music is just some beats I whipped up in a minute.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 15:27
That looks great man!
Out of interest, the video is called stoke... is that stoke on trent or stoke newington? Whichever, will you be able to get missions from grubby street kids in hoodies?

What kind of crime is the game about, like are you into pills and stuff or more violent crime?

This looks like alot of fun, although I must agree that the texturing needs some work.
For the grass why not scale the object texture a bit, so it gets more detail.
I'm gonna keep checking this out.
Good luck!
Butters

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 18:33
Hi Butter fingers! Yeah, it's Stoke On Trent in Staffordshire. It's an obvious choice for me really, because I can go around the place to take reference shots. Also, some people claim Stoke On Trent to be one of the worst places to live, so that fits in well with the crime aspect of the game. I am thinking what will suit the game better, level based or run around mission based like GTA. The player will start doing very low crime and stuff and build up their criminal meter. Lot's of hoodies in the area so they'll get "imported". Thanks again, and good luck with your project as well.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 19:54 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 19:55
I've been there a few times, it's a great setting for a game. you can have a good contrast between the suburban-ghetto and the derelict industrial (old coal mining place isn't it?).

I don't know if you've seen any of shane meadows films, but he always sets his crime films in really backwater UK places. I think it's great, you can have all sorts of fun characters - like farmers who grow big crops of cannabis, to missions like car jacking for hoodies... you could even go more controvertial and do stuff like happy slapping or child gun crime.

I love the idea. In terms of the actual map setting, I think that a sandbox design (like GTA), may be pretty tough to realise in DBP. I started out with that hope for POE, but after 4 city blocks things started to chug. That and the fact that in a dynamic open -ended environment, there are just so many things to go wrong. You could veer more towards the gettaway. Having open ended sections, and set levels for the missions.

Butters

final thought! You can probably get away with most of the current textures if you pull the camera up and back a little, and pitch it down more.. with less of a close up, it'll be more forgiving on the textures.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 10:31
very well done, keep it up.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 00:04
Thanks bud.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 06:57
Looks good. Glad to see some FPSC users using DBP, it usually results in some good mixes.

BTW, you mentioned FRAPS slowing down your game, do you have some sort of timer system to compensate for frame-rate loss? If not I have one someone else gave me, I can send it to ya if you'd like. It basically takes into account the time from the last frame and gives you a variable that you multiply any speed-related values by and it keeps things constant at any framerate.

Vote today and play the games!
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 07:19 Edited at: 13th Sep 2007 07:20
Police AI (The police will give chase if you break the law.)

If it's UK police, and you're a kid, they'll arrest ya and add your DNA to their police database just for being being a kid doing what kids do

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 08:46
About the fraps bit, I dunno if you tried changing the framerate to 60 fps cause I think the default is 30 fps.

I recorded my vid at 30fps at it was pretty slow. Changed the setting to 60 fps and it was running at full speed.

Mico
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 18:02
Hi Airslide. I've been using Dark Basic (and pro) for a few years now. I sort of drifted into FPSC after that but I always like to work with DBP because of the flexibility I have. If you could send me that timer thing then that would be great!

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 13:10 Edited at: 15th Sep 2007 13:12
Just a small update. I have modelled another police officer and a patrol car. These guys will (hopefully) drive around the city on patrol and stop to hit the player round the head with their nightsticks. Still need to model the interior of the car.

Attachments

warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 13:28
Hey it looks good keep up the work.

dbpro plugins
www.0z0.co.uk
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing though is that it looks too "clean". Maybe if you darken the texture just a little bit or add some rust it might look better. Something you might want to consider is sphere mapping the cars to get a reflection like effect, it might improve the look a lot.

Your about to get pwned.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Police car looks great for low-poly work. When will we be able to download something playable?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 19:10
Quote: "When will we be able to download something playable?"

Well, I really would like to make the demo as quality as possible. This is what I need to do before I release a demo...

-Finish off the map
-Add random traffic and pedestrians
-improve the police AI a small bit
-Fix collision for the car
-find some decent car physics code
-make a scripted mission

Then I will add a simple menu and post the demo. I hope to do all this in a couple of weeks and I am working hard each day.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 20:34 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 20:35
Update. Working on random traffic and, you can now set fire to vehicles. The particles need a bit of tweaking though...

Attachments

game lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 20:39 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 20:40
Awesome, I watched the video and the only thing I could really say to improve would be the Police attack animation seemed a tad boxy. Other than that its cool.

We all want to be awesome, but does awesome want to be us?
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 22:01 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 22:17
Please leave a comment if you view this thread
I've updated the fire particles and made a Range Rover model. Notice the player is in aim mode. You can aim using the mouse.

Attachments

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, have you ever thought about streamlining the city to save fps? The game is looking great though, keep up the good work.

One thing though, add a few civilian characters, even if there low poly and there aren't that many, they will liven things up.

Your about to get pwned.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 23:46
Quote: "Nice, have you ever thought about streamlining the city to save fps"

If you mean cutting up the city into smaller parts then yeah, I am doign that.

Civilians will come when I sort out the traffic.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that's what I mean, also streaming cars and civilians too.

Your about to get pwned.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 09:19
Fire looks very nice, when I see the cops in mid-run all I can think of is benny hill . *Mass apologies if I got that name wrong* I like the look of the city and I can see the challenge in creating such a big game like this.

You are using DarkAI right, just curious about that.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 11:57
Zombie 20, I haven't actually got Dark AI but I'm seriously thinking about getting it. The waypoint feature would work out really great for this game.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 15:21
Yes, I think that would be very good for you, I watched the demo of it and thought 'gee I kinda wish I was making a 3d game now.' Best of luck to you in this, any indie developer who can make a sandbox game successfully is in my 'ZOMG 1337' checklist. I'm a little tired please don't mind my words of weirdness.

The models look well, did you make them yourself...I can't imagine the strain that will put on the systems when you have everything in there, are you going to implement a driving feature?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 16:38
@Zombie 20.
I made all the models except the small white car, which is from Dark Matter. Most of the building textures are from Mayangs texture library, and all the other textures have been made by myself.

The base character model took me about a day to make, and all the other characters were built up on that base. This is actually the first time I have ever rigged a model up to a skeleton, so I am quite pleased with myself.

I have a system set up that should work in theory.
At the start, a part of the whole city is loaded as a small section. As the player drives or walks around the roads, he will step through a trigger zone and this loads the next part of the map. Other zones delete part of the map so it gives the illusion of a huge city. Spawning Traffic and Pedestrians will come later.

At the moment, I am working on driving. When the player is within distance of a certain vehicle, he can press the return key to enter that vehicle. I have used the "Glue object to limb" command to attach the vehicle to the player.

The Hardest part is car physics. Expect the demo to have very basic driving.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 16:46
Oh no problem there opposing force, any driving would be really neat, makes me wish I had a microphone attachement, I'd love to make a commercial for your game, seeing as I bleed caffiene and sarcasm.

The models do look well done as I cannot model to save my life and and are even worse at texturing but I digress. The way you have your city set up sounds very efficient but it would be funny to have the player turn around and see white and trigger your character freaking out yelling where'd the world go ahhhhhh!

So I suppose the next question is are we going to just see a freeform game or will it include a rag-to-riches type of tale like the ones set in our lovely vice city setting, I rather enjoyed that one as I would just drive for hours listening to the songs and commercials and watching the pedestrians. I wish you all the luck in this project, it looks very promising.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
If you do it the way your thinking, you will want to make the buildings taller, so to hide any larger things behind it(I.E trees, streetlamps, taller buildings that would be there.

Your about to get pwned.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 19:16
Looks FLIPPIN awesome! Nice work man.

Meh. Signatures. Lame :p
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 22:17
Thanks Xenocythe!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@Opposing force: This looks great!
Quote: "If you mean cutting up the city into smaller parts then yeah, I am doign that.

Civilians will come when I sort out the traffic."
Couldn't you just make the city as a whole model?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 22:58
Quote: "Couldn't you just make the city as a whole model?"

There would be heavy time of loading at the start and it would lag like heck.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 01:58
Well, that's something unseen. A GTA-clone project that looks good, seems to play good, seems though out and actually seems to be going somewhere as well!

Looking great. Keep it up .

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 21:57
If you're still looking for car physics, Elite Gaming found a load of useful car physics stuff. Car physics

thanks to deathead for the sig!
Projects: alien abductor-5%
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 22:10
Yeah man, looking nice.

I would heavily advise you get darkAI. Take it from someone who was recently trying to make a game that had hundreds of NPCs on screen at once. DarkAI will cut your AI functions/gosubs down a great deal, and save the engine having to run through many many for/to loops.

On a separate note, I have a pretty tasty array based stats system, that can be totally randomised (for things like 50 variants of civilian, not just texture, but in say, cowardice,speed and vocal sample). You could use it to implement a nice "wanted" stat for the player.

anyway. Best of luck. Happy headaches.
Butters

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 19:21
Thank's Butters!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 23:35
really nice.

btw. im posting this post from my ds using my modifed version of offical version of win2ds. its pretvy slow but at least i got this working with newest wifi lib so that means my version works with newest ds lites...

[center]
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 22:43 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 22:44
Two more screenshots. I've cleaned up the texture's on the council estate and also worked on adding more vehicles on the roads.

Attachments

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 22:45 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 22:47
the other one...

Attachments

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 02:35
Way to go buddy..keep it up, this has a lot of potential.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 03:31
Yup, keep it coming. Military Jeep in a little town?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
izaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 13:11 Edited at: 1st Oct 2007 13:11
hey great work, i have been messing around with a gta project myself. Here is a great texture website: Lots of building textures
http://www.terminal26.de/eng/index.php?lg=eng

wish you all the luck!
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 15:53
Thank you all! The vehicle models are just place holders for the time being.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 12:38 Edited at: 19th Oct 2007 12:39
Just some more screenshots. Here's a summary of the council estate...

Telephone box, postbox and Spar shop.

Attachments

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 12:41
I've also started making the actual town. Here are a few shots...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:22:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:22:14