Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Lights & Shadows

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 02:48
Hi all...

Just a quick couple of questions regarding Lights and Shadows within DarkGDK...

1. Only Light0 casts shadows within my code - is this correct? What if I require additional lights to cast shadows?

2. Even with Light0 being hidden (dbHideLight), the shadow is still cast based on that lights position. Is this also correct?

Basically, I trying to achieve a 'top-down' hallway with multiple candles/lights fixed to the walls, each casting a shadows. Having problems.

Any help would be greatly received! Thank you.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 04:19
Will "Burned in" textures work for you? I've tried using the shadow shader and they say you can edit the shader to get different results - but I tried it and gave up. Perhaps I'm weak - but the bigger drawback (than the strange shadows) was the STRAIN it caused to my framerates. I chopped that out real quick as framerates dove.

Baked in textures would probably be your best bet. That's how they got the look they did in the DarkGDK samples download - the program called "World" (Its a small "level" consisting of a few closely knit buildings you can walk in and around (and fly))

I write in code (sometimes)!=(always)

fallingb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 14:11
Thank you Jason.

So am I right in saying ONLY light0 casts realtime shadows?
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
yes and slow at that. Better to use FX (shaders)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:13:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:13:27