Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / C64 Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 01:21
When I was young, I had a Commodore 64 (that's a lie : it's still in my house, connected to the TV), but the floppy got broken, so I can't play these games anymore. Luckily most on my games were on Tape.

The problem is here : I had a game on disk, and I don't know its name : We were playing as a lil thingy (kinda round alien), that was walking around a tower (plattform game), some times we could go through the tower, but the view was allways from outside of the tower. As you surely guess : there were some ennemies around this cylindrical tower.

So, if anybody knows the name of that game, please help me.
(I would like it for a remake)
"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 01:55
Jet Set Willy?

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 02:30
Think you mean Nebulus by Hewson.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 02:35
Yeah, that's it : Nebulus ... What a game !!!

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 02:50
Was pretty good. But used to annoy the hell out of me. Best Hewson game was Uridion. Nice.

Cheers

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 02:57
Uridium actually...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 03:02 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 03:06
Those were the good times for computers :

It was much more sociable :
- As we destroyed our joysticks, we went to the shop to buy new ones (almost every third week)
- We had time to discuss, chat, while the game was loading. Even if it didn't succeed at some times.

Even the quality of the game wasn't as important as now, the only thing that mattered, was to push the button as fast as possible ... not many actual games have these options (Yeah ... the prices of Joysticks are also higher now)

And that was the time, were every child that could program PRINT "Hello World", was considered as a Genius

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 03:09 Edited at: 8th Jun 2003 03:11
Anyone completed Turbocharge - never did manage it (damn fine game).
How about Lemmings ? Was that any good (I got rid of my C64 before that came out).
Mayhem in Monsterland - Did anyone complete that ?
Did anyone play Walker 2?

The only games I can remember completing was Commando (took 5 years), Overlander (I think) and possible Outrun Europa and/or Turbo Outrun.

Used to annoy Woolworths (when they sold computers) by writing a program that disabled the RUN/STOP key and continually displayed coloured blocks.

Mind you, I tend to annoy Dixons by writing batch files that repeat messages. Unfortunately they can be stopped easily.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 03:26
Damn laptops are annoying for touch typing in the dark...

Cheers

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 19:53
TAT - I guess you've played Lemmings on other systems? If not then you should, it was and is fantastic - and the C64 version was very accurate from what I remember

Damokles81 - if you're thinking of remaking any c64 games or just wanna play them again (all my tapes refuse to work nowadays too ) then have a gander at http://www.c64.com

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 20:29
If I was only wanting to play it again, I know a lot of friends, who still have these games on the original C64.
But it would be nice to get the code from these games : It was BASIC, so the conversion into DarkBASIC won't be that difficult I think. (At least not as much, as if it was another language).

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 22:22
The majority of Commodore professional games weren't written in basic, they were machine code or some form of assembley I think. As far as I'm aware BASIC is not a standard lowest level language of any system, it is interpretted

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 22:36
Yes, I originally played Lemmings on the Amiga, so I was pleased when it was announced that it would be coing out on the C64. Unfortunately, by the time it had, I had sold my C64's (had 2). The C64 version was limited to 50 lemmings on screen at once, if I remember the technical specs correctly.

All later C64 games were written in just 6510 - earlier ones were generally written using a few lines of BASIC and the rest assembler...

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2003 22:59
You're probably right Kangaroo, but I know at least two games, that were written in BASIC : Smurfs and SEUCK, I was loading the tape and saw the basic codes ... I changed them a bit ... just changing text in print command ... I didn't dare to do something that could damage the program, I was too afraid, and much too young.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2003 22:54
Toady - Yup I had an Amiga by then too, it was the first format I played Lemmings on, I loved it! The C64 version was pretty great from what I remember, the basic restrictions were that there were indeed a limit of 50 Lemmings at once, and only two screens maximum for a level. Still - all the animations were in place, along with the digitised speach, which I thought was darned impressive for the lowly 64k

The most accurate 8-bit conversion was on the Mastersystem, but as far as I'm aware there was no mouse for the system, and 9-pin pc mice, although fitting, didn't work.

Damokles - Cool, thats kinda how I started Many games were made in Basic you're right, I made many myself! I just meant that the majority of pro games weren't made in basic, because of the major memory restrictions imposed on them

joseph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 01:31
When talking about C64 and Amiga games, what was your best of?

Mine was Rick Dangerous 2, although there were many more I loved.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 01:40 Edited at: 13th Jun 2003 02:03
The best C64 games were Mayhem in Monsterland, Turbocharge, Thunderblade, Spy Hunter, Turbo Outrun and Outrun Europa - all from the middle to end of the C64's life (except for Spy Hunter). Ghostbusters was also good, as was Creatures 2.

Old Ricky Dangerous was okay, as was my Walker game (completely in 6510 Assembly - it might still be availiable from the Binary Zone PD place - if thats still going).

Some irritating ones were : Siren City, The Human Race, Arcadia 64, Neoclyps (borderline), Bandana City (came with the head-alignment cassette), Driller (slow!), Elite (never liked Elite on any computer), Depthcharge, Lazarian, Hunter Patrol (music was good, but that was about it).
Beachhead was irritating to start with, but once you got the hang of it, it was okay. And I completed it.

I played Lemmings on the Amiga (of course), got so far and then gave up - as it was a friends Amiga, I dont think I missed that much.

I had wanted to get the Chase HQ 2 cartridge, but never did...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 01:59
I loved the Dizzy games, and the C64 versions were the best - until the Amiga ones

On Amiga, I liked Lemmings, Worms, Theme Park, most Team 17 games...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 02:06
I have never really played many Codemasters games - Had their bike game, Arnold the Ardvaark and one or two others, but that was about it. Even now, the only Codemasters game I've got is their snooker one.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 17:46
The Dizzy games were very cool (if hard) If you ever get a chance to play "Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk" - do Its shorter and easier than most, but full of charm. A really cool (if sick) Codies game was "Rockst*r ate my Hamster!" a kind of pop mangement Sim with black humour.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 20:39
Dizzy is one of the few games I've never played - not even in a demo. No idea why though...

Rockstar Ate My Hampster was supposed to be pretty awful, if I remember correctly.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2003 22:36
Rally? I loved it, although I didn't understand the humour at the time. That said I was very young and new to games, so any new style or idea impressed me. It was mostly text based so maybe magazines etc found it boring - I thought it was cool though, and it was probably the first management sim I played where you were given genuine control

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 01:51
It caused quite a stir when it first came out...

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 14:30
I liked text based games, allways trying to find which words the program could understand. Desperately, they're no new ones of that kind : that could be funny.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 15:32
ATV was the best cheapo game. Bit like Kickstart, but with big ATV vehicles. Was so good...

Cheers

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 16:31
Toad - Hmm interesting, i'd have liked to have been old enough to understand I guess things like "You loose why not sl*t your wr*sts?" were frowned upon at the time - went way over my head at the time though

I had ATV it was pretty playable! I love the fact games were only £2.99, and loads were free on magazines too, better than £40 these days (Although thats better than £80 SNES and Megadrive games at their peak)

And yes I loved text games, especially seeing what happenned when you typed "rude" words. Man I was so mature

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 16:47
Rude words ? Well, I was kinda young to know many of them (in english) ... but I tested all of them.
To my knowledge, there was only 1 game, which responded positively to them (something with a king), the other were trying to blame the player, who wrote it down.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 17:06
I think the game was more infamous due to what Freddy Starr did (or didn't do) to a certain hampster...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 17:41
lol yeah I did hear aobut that - big fuss out of nothing. Next thing people will be saying Ozzy Osbourne ate a bat, or I ate a goldfish (the old carrot in the hand trick does it every times )

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2003 23:13
I'll be amazed if anyone can remember what happened on the Speccy version (didn't play any other) of Valhalla when you swore? The game was a graphical text adventure from like 2 decades ago.

One of the best though was a Sci-fi adventure... that I can't remember the title of right now... which chucked you in jail when you swore. There was a cunning way out though. This was all fine and good, and I got chucked back in to jail when I swore again (just to test out different words). But the second time didn't have the cunning escape route. Obviously then spend ages (several days if I remember rightly) trying to get out. Could never work it out. In the end I abandoned the game. Because the jail was part of the main game, and not just for swearing I didn't think much of it. Later on though (about 3 years later) I found that there was no way out of the room. Was there for 2+ swearing, and teach people a lesson. Hmmm. Still, it taught me an important lesson, the f**king c**ts!

Oh yeah, and ATV was awesome for budget. Kickstart 2 was more addictive with mates in the long run though (could design tracks and stuff).

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
@MrTAToad: Did you write the code for Walker?

My favourite games on the C64 Were Elite, Delta, Armalyte, Wizball.

My Favourite Amiga games were.. Ghouls and ghosts, Theme Park, Speedball, Thrust. + some that I did the graphics for.

Pincho.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 03:21
Yes, I certainly did... Unfortunately, there was a bug in the re-start level code - did a soft reset if you wanted to continue...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
So MrTAToad, you were working for Psygnosis at the same time that I was working for Arc Developments for Activision, and a few other companies.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 15:04
Hmm no - this was a problem with using the name 'Walker' - it wasn't until after I had sent the C64 game to the Binary Zone PD, that I found out that Psygnosis had an Amiga game of the same name... Neither mine nor Psynosis game had anything to do with each other.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 15:09
Ohh there were some classics on the C64, some of my old faves:

Frak (fat caveman with a yoyo, platform game)
Way of the Exploding Fist (Very early but addictive beat-em-up)
FistII (Sequel to above, but more story based)
Hunchback (Amazing timing and jumping game)
Bruce Lee (Awesome platform/fighting game)
Miner2049 (Platform game, not like ManicMiner though)
IK+ (classic beat-em up, Archer Maclean at his best)

I loved the text adventures too, like Collosal Adventure.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 15:14
Yes, IK+ was very good - never tried the others. Never liked text adventures. Did play Eric the Viking a few times, along with Melbournes very bugged The Hobbit & Sherlock Holmes.

Anyhoo, if you want to see what my Walker game was like, there's a review of the Archimidies version on my web site. The main difference being the C64 version was a single player game.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 16:28
Could you post some screenies? - I never liked emulating the C64, does'nt feel right somehow (must be the lovely click the keys made that I'm missing).

Why don't they make retro keyboards!. Like one in the 48k speccy dead-flesh keys, and one in the chunky chocolate-bar C64 style. Old keyboard were the best .

Van-B

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 16:34
Retro keyboards ? I would prefer the Retro Joysticks (with the retro low-price)
Between, I was playing Double Dragon, A nice game.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 17:29
I actually have the first joystick we bought for the Spectrum, still works! - gonna dig it out so I can use it with emulated games - it was a supremely sweet 'The Arcade' microswitched deal. Back in about 1984, this thing cost about £16, a lot of money back then.
Before I got that I was used to my uncles home made joysticks, basically a plastic electronics project box with a bent microswith for a fire button and a dangerous metal stick.

If you don't know what the worlds best digital joystick looked like, here's a pic:

And I had no idea they were sought after! - better look after mine!
http://lsp.hjem.wanadoo.dk/Thearcade.htm

Van-B

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 18:10
It still works ? How come ?
I mean : Didn't you play any games, where the only way to win was to press the buttons as fast as possible ? Didn't that damage your joystick ?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I still prefer the old kempston joystick to the modern joypads. The problem is that you can only have 1 type of fire button. Maybe you could somehow put 4 small buttons on 1 corner.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 19:25
Nah, good old fashioned microswitch technology - We played a lot of joystick killing sports games, but all it ever needed was a little re-soldering. It's outlived about 20 joysticks!. I'm going through a nostalgia faze right now, gonna dig out my 7ft high pile of ST magazines.

One day, I plan to take an old arcade cabinet and stick a PC inside with MAME and thousands of games - once I move to a bigger house that is - nowhere to keep it!. There's a cool auction where I live, you can pick up an old cabinet for like £30!.

Van-B

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 21:36
The only screenie I've got is : http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/Pictures/ReviewOfWalker2.jpg

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:36:16