Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FM Demo Download link

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 18:33 Edited at: 20th Sep 2007 15:14
I'd like to post (again) my "car game" demo.

Download at:

http://www.gawgames.com

in the DOWNLOAD area.
You can also download a video in the GALLERY area, grabbed from the in-game engine (every single frame is in-game, nothing is pre-rendered!)

We are a (very) little developer team (two guys!) and we'd like to know what you think about this level..

So please download it and tell us something real, pls!

N.B. If you don't have a fast PC (GeForce 7800 or greater) turn quality level to HIGH instead of MAXIMUM

Thanks for the cooperation, guys!

A screenshot..

NEW SCRENSHOTS

Lucka - gawteam coder - www.gawgames.com
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 18:35 Edited at: 11th Sep 2007 18:38
Some instructions..

Actually, you need a gamepad to play!
You can change cameras pressing F9 and F10 keys.
IMPORTANT: By pressing the "trick" button, you can control the flight during the jumps!

- The big robot will try to kill you by crashing your car, or using thermal controlled Shark missiles.
- Use the hills to protect yourself from the shark missiles
- The missiles can destroy the boss too, so try to make them hitting the robot
- You can rise-up your shield (the green bar) by making some trick during the jumps
- The red bar on the right is the monster energy, the blu bar indicate the "wrath" of the boss, when is full the speed of the boss will be double for a certain time
-You can collect bombs by picking from the blue columns
-You can fire bombs in front of your car when your speed is really low.. (you'll see your gun getting some smoke!)

Enjoy!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 19:01 Edited at: 11th Sep 2007 19:04
Sounds very original. Very good WIP post, will be checking the game now. A direct download link would help attract more people!

Darn, I need a gamepad... Sorry, can't test.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 20:34 Edited at: 11th Sep 2007 20:36
Impressive. Was very slow on my computer until i went to options and turned it to "low quality", and the graphics still looked super.
Haven't figured out how not to get killed really quickly. Can't figure out how to do "tricks" either. Think the joypad mapping is different depending on what kind of joypad you have. Mine has 6 buttons marked,
-----Z
---Y--C
-X--B
--A

A did turbos, ,X respawned and i think Z lit up the brake lights.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:30
Yo Lucka

Ill give you my honest feedback (not that ive been lying)

Visually the game generally looks great. I wish I could test it but the gamepad thing doesnt work for me. How about you post a video?

I like the style of the game, but I think lookin at the screenie, your vehicle isnt exactly feel part of the game. I mean youve got a great map with textures, and then you got this one piece of machinery with flat shades and not much texturing. (maybe you are still working on it)

The HUD seems a little cartoonish too. Make it simple like the top corner radar bit. The fact that there is too much on the HUD makes the bulky HUD weight to the lower end of the sceen.

Mico
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

we are still working on this (it's clear )
The vehicle we'll be a lot different.
We have (actually) two different "big boss" (completly different, the second one is a huge robot in the middle of the map with a large amount of really big weapons).

About the "tricks":
When the car is "flying", pressing the "trick" button you can adjust the position of the car due to land properly, if you insist the car can make a "360°" in every direction. If you can complete a 360 you'll gain an amount of energy for your shield (green bar in the middle of the HUD).

In fact it's not so difficult when you get a little "test time"

All the game is multiplayer / cooperative, so soon other demos!

Lucka.

Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
ok..

I suppose I need some other kind of suggestion:

It's really hard for me to obtain feedback from WIP forum (not for the rest of the forum, where everybody write and chat in a really good way!).

There's some way to build a WIP post in a better way?
Or there's simply not so much to say about my code?

Thanks, Lucka.

Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 14:25
The one problem i had was i didn't have a controller that was compatible with the system your using - i have the xbox 360 controller, so all i could do was steer and boost. Try implementing using keyboard commands, as i think alot more people will download this to try it out.

For what i played, the game seems like a nice idea, however it ran extremely slow (even with all settings turned down) so was jittering everywhere.

The environment looks awesome!

The large robot thing also didn't seem to move alot, and it seemed like a large arena for just the one robot (how about lots of smaller robots or something that chase you about?). Let me know if you make any improvements (particulary with the controls) and i'll test it out again for you.
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 15:32 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 15:39
I already implemented arrows keys to control the car (and WASD to control the flying tricks), soon a new demo with "keybord control".

Can you give me details about your PC?
I make this demo running on a very old pentium 3 with a GeForce 4 (high quality, low resolution) and it runs well.

That's excatly the kind of information I need, so thanks a lot EG!

Some words about joypad:
I supposed that everybody (or a large amount of people) here have a joypad, for these reasons..
-Dark Basic is a nice tools for action game
-A lot of project (in WIP and somewhere else) are about car games
-People like us (that dream about complete an our own videogame) I supposed that we'r videogame lover too (means, we write code but we play in the free time )

I implemented joypad so fast just to release the demo (before that it was only keyboard controlled) and the joypad leave me more freedom, e.g. a fast button to look back it's not so simple (for the player) when using keyboard..

Now I know that not so much people here got a joy..
Nice for the future!

Thank.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 15:36 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 15:38
Luca:
I've just been busy with other things and I wanted to give the game a fair test. It's a pretty cool game but it's hard and takes a while to get used to.

First off my joypad is mapped completely different so I had to figure out what button does what. Figuring out the trick button wasn't very easy but now that I know how it works and where it is I can at least land properly.

So some suggestions on what I didn't like:
1. The arena is a bit too big, it takes for ever to drive from one side to the other without the boosts. At first I thought it was way too big but it should be big, just not this big. Perhaps let the player start with shots as well. All to make the game faster and more action packed.

2. It's very hard to make a 360 and then land safely, I've yet to succeed doing so. The questing then is: Do I want to boost up a hill risking my life to make a 360 and then only get about 25% of shield when I seem to be more likely to be rammed by the boss then hit by a single missile. Better control over the rotation would be very welcome.

3. Why must I stand still to fire the gun? It's hard enough to find a safe spot to fire from that has a good angle and distance and no hills in the way. How about firing homing missiles instead? Let the player face the boss for a while for the missiles to lock on, the player would have to be within a reasonable distance for the lock to work and the boss must be visible (no hill in the way). But don't require perfect aim or standing still please. Would also make the game more fast paced.

4. Make the boss radar in the bottom show distance to the boss, that would be very helpful.

5. It takes way too long for the car to accelerate from a standstill.

6. I don't know what I did but I once activated the boost in reverse after resetting the car. It looked really weird to fly around backwards

7. Allow for us to map our own controls. I also wouldn't mind using the 2nd joystick for tricks.

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank for the feedback D.A.!

I agree with you for a lot of things.. I explain point by point:

1) The actual arena is ready for 3 different kind of big boss and for cooperative gaming (already implemented) that's why is so big!

2) I assure you that for me is very very easy to get a 360, if you get it bacward you gain a lot more shields. But certanly the reason is why I played this game for hours and hours.. I'd like to use your feedback to understand how much is difficult for a beginner!

3) The actual weapons on the car simply sucks! I'm tryng with different kinds of weapons: Missiles (like your idea) and an automatic gun (so you'll be able to run in front of the boss hitting him and then, at the last moment, change direction)

4) I'm adding the boss icon in the radar up-right, so you'll see how far is from you..

5) That's true, I can modify a lot of car's parameters (wheight, acceleration, max speed, etc.). The car in the demo have a lot max speed but a really poor acceleration..

6) Now the boost always push your car straight!

7) I MUST add the controls mapping! I will, I assure you!

Thank again!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 16:33 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 16:33
The thing with the tricks is that it takes a while to start spinning but then it also takes a while to stop spinning. With skill this is not a problem but it takes plenty of crashes and restarting the game to get the hang of it. Faster acceleration and deceleration would make the controls easer to grasp faster, more like a flight sim. Since using an analogue joystick is not very accurate it's easy to spin out of control with not enough time to right yourself up. I wonder why I never tried looping ticks instead of rolling, backward loops should be easier to pull off. You could promote backward loops by making rolling and forward loop slower (only to be used for correcting a bad jump).

You know what would look cool? Weapon turrets on the car that aims towards the boss (when in sight). I sort of like the idea of two missile ramps (firing 4 missiles or rockets rapidly with smoke trail from 2 ramps looks awesome) or miniguns (tracer bullets, big flames, smoke and rotating barrels look awesome too) on each side of the roof.

BTW, I love the boss design. Just need some cool textures

[center]
WIP
Wendox
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, this game is awesome^^

I really love the physics!!!!!!!!!
are you using plugins for it??

I like the giant environment , cause you've a bit space to drive/fly in

good luck
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 17:45 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 17:48
I don't use NO kind of plugin for physix, everything is born from my hand about the car's movement and physix. I think that in this way is ten times more difficult, but leave you a lot of freedom!

@ Digital Awakening:
The problem with the car's weapon is that the big bos got some good animations, shark missiles are nice to see when they fly searching for you.. but..
You'r so fast and worried about escape from him that you NEVER look at the boss! So.. I'd like to have a gun or something else that works only when yopu face the boss.. Can you understand?

btw..
All medias in the demo are not the newer and the better we made (for example the boss's flat shading), we'll put all better media only in the final version (you'll see what a differnce, people! )

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 19:19
Lucka:
I think you misunderstood me with the turrets. I meant that when the player faces the boss, and he's in view, the turrets do a little auto aiming so that the player doesn't have to line up the car perfectly. The terrain is not flat and since you have to face the boss you don't have a lot of time to actually aim well. Of course the turrets can't be perfect or it would be too easy. That's why it takes a while for the missiles to lock on and the minigun turrets can't aim too quickly (standing still would allow for the best aim) and they should probably overheat from continuous firing.

[center]
WIP
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
yep!

When I read your post again I understood it well, it's nice and very similar to what I'm doing roght now, soon you'll test it!

A litle question..
Have you never tried to use the "inside car" view?
Use F9 and F10..

It's terrible! Enjoy!

Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
The new screnshots are from another level, cooperative mode by LAN.

A little question..
How many people have the possibility to run a game that need LAN conection? Of course it will be possible TCP/IP connection too.

Thanks.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 14:37
If you map it to keyboard as well, I can test it on a LAN. Game looks impressive.

Your mod has been erased by a signature because it was larger than 600x120.
Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making a A.I. controlled version, as soon as possible I'll post a LAN one.
So thank for the cooperation, man!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:32:16