Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Newbie Alert!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 00:23
Hello! I just got my download ready for DarkGDK.NET today. And have been trolling the boards for a few days. You guys have one hell of a community!

My name is Dave, but call me PostalCOW. I'm a student did lots of programming as a kid with Basic on my handy TRS80, the to an Apple. Took a break from programming for a few years to chase girls, work life and all that other boring stuff. Now I've come back! Its been about 6 months, been programming in C++ and C# using Visual Studio 2005. I also downloaded the XNA and played with that for a bit with TorqueX. I love C# since its a great mix between easy to use and make it do what I want quick enough it was the whole C# thing about DarkGDK that lured me to it. It was reading your kick ass posts here that got me to click the buy now button.

I would love any tutorials, or threads you could direct to me to. Provide flame bait for entertainment (no, I am not trying to make an MMORPG with only 6 months of programming experience).

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 01:35
Welcome PostalCow. The best I can tell you is to play with the functions and see what they can do.

If you want to make a game then plan it in parts. Im making a (MMO)RPG and are doing that in parts. Now the char can walk around and pickup things.

There are so many things you can do with GDK and its only your ideas that put the limit

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 03:30
Sounds awesome! Can't wait to get started.

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 05:48
Alright as would be expected. I am overflowing with annoying newbie questions. So rather than ninja-flood this board. Where is the best place to ask newbie questions? For example, making and loading terrain.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 17:37
I like you, you don't seem to be a twat. Now, as for help, I can give you some good tips. Firstly, if you're using C#, I suggest you take a look at LightEngine, it's an OO wrapper around the DarkGDK functions. If you're coming from learning C#, I highly suggest it. Secondly, since the DarkGDK is the same engine as DBPro, with almost identical function names, the best place to look for help is the Newcomers DBPro Corner. But don't forget to use the little search boxes at the bottom of the page first.

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson

Also, my website has no content. But it looks perty
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 19:28
Quote: "I like you, you don't seem to be a twat"
Yeah I like him too. Stay enthusiastic man and welcome!

I'm with flibX0r on the "Check out the Dark Basic" stuff. If you can wrap your head around C# - then reading the (sometimes syntax shoddy but functional) Dark Basic Pro examples and forums will help immensley!

So far there are only a few things I've run into so far that deviate - namely - multiple cameras don't seem to work the same way - but some one disagreed with me on this - but others didn't in times past - so - stick with Camera 0 (default) to get started is a bit of advice.

I'm still new to the DarkGDK lib myself - and I'm using the C++ version - and ramping up my C++ fluency - but I always toss in a few DarkGDK commands to try things and so fars its pretty slamming.

Especially after programming in DarkBasicPro and seeing the performance differences using DarkGDK. One test I did (a simple cube with nearly 100% identical code for both .. on my slow machine) 208 fps DarkBasic Pro versus 340 fps in DarkGDK. So you should have plenty of horse power. I haven't done a C# test to gauge/compare but I'll bet it's right up there too.

I haven't used LightEngine but I did explore the classes a bit - and frankly - the author is doing a fine job - and using his code might be helpful for either/both learning from and gamemaking.

So - have a blast. I'm rewriting my current DBProject "Iron Infantry" to DarkGDK in hopes that I'll be able to get more going on with scenery and action while retaining high framerates - wish me well.

Oh - Terrain - I guess there are three or four approaches (see DBPro forums for a lot of material on this)

1: Load a direct x or dbo model, use raycasting via Sparky's DLL to calc ground height. (Sparky's DLL is available for C++ Dark GDK and probably C# also by now - I'm almost positive) Great for RPG'ish stuff IMHO - You can texture however you want this way.

2: Use Matrix Commands - kinda limited but has ground height like commands - has a neat looping set of commands to make "never ending" terrain but takes work to get it going and still has that sharp low poly look to it - Limitations on texturing this though.

3: BSD - Binary Space PArtitioning. I hear bad reviews from people in these forums - but many tought BSD as "Superior" and it is supposedly smart about drawing only necessary poly - but I never played with this.

4: Advanced Terrain (Don't be confused by what in DBPro was STOCK Terrain) Advanced terrain was an addon to DBPro and is part of DarkGDK. It works very well IMHO but has texturing limitations but builds the terrain with limbs and hides/culls and possible optimizes the mesh for Level Of Detail ..not positive. LOD - If you don't know is the art of making things close detailed and far away things use lower resolutions models/textures to lower the overall polygon count for screens increasing screen draws - making your framerates go up usually...usually has a dramatic positive effect.

Ok - that's my brain dump for now! Good Luck! Good Choice!

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 05:24
First, you guys and gals rock. Thanks for all the help.

Second, I used the samples to figure out loading BSP terrain and it works great. However, I am just having the darndest time with outdoor style terrains. I saw some stuff on the boards and I think I'm pounding a square peg into a round hole. Here is what I am trying:

Hmmm no preview message. I hope the code snippet comes out right!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:55