Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK & Shadows and Shaders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 12:42
Hi all...

A couple of Q's here...

1. Is DarkGDK still being updated and developed? I'm new to DarkGDK and Dark Basic Pro (although I did use the original Dark Basic many years ago). I am initially impressed with what I have seen although it does appear like many things don't work 'as should' or 'bend the truth' slightly with regards to what the website claims it to can do... I'm not jarred in anyway as it's a great product, I only hope it continues to be updated inline with DBPro.Maybe I just want 'the moon on a stick'! Tell me it's not going .NET only, please?

2. Shadows and Shaders... I'm having a few problems with shadows and wanted multiple lights casting them. After playing with DGDK it appears that only light0 casts shadows (don't remember reading this on the website before entering my credit card details). So I'm thinking about try Shaders instead... Does this seem viable? I don't know the first thing about shaders and DGDK - DGDK has the ability to open a .fx file so would this work 'out of the box' or would I need to open my wallet again and purchase 'Dark Shader'?

If anyone could advise me on Shadow Shaders or point me in the right direction that would be great. any shadow .fx files out there?

Like I said, it is a great product and it does seem like I'm wingeing a bit but with just having a new baby, I'm not sure the missus will let me keep 'opening my wallet'! LOL!

Cheers Guys...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 13:32
1. Is DarkGDK still being updated and developed?

Yes. But I'm not at liberty to give any more details, sorry!

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
as far as shadows and multiple lights, search the dbpro boards for shaders from Evolved and Green Gandalf... there are some BASIC examples of shadowing, and multiple lights... most easy enough to port over to c++...

good luck...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 14:52
I'm with you fallingb - I REALLY think the C++ needs to stick around even though many take the easier route with C#. Besides - to my knowledge - DirectX is written in C++ - and I can only theorize that much of what we have in DarkGDK is for the most part the same "core" code used by Dark Basic Pro. I mean I'm a professional developer - and it makes sense that the various products are based on a central core library (that in this case is the ropes that tie to DirectX and do various file format loading etc)

This way they (usually) can have a developer be more valuable in that if they fix a bug in DarkBasic Pro - they also fix it in C# and C++ DarkGDK.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2007 19:10
Hey guys - I asked TGC if DarkGDK C++ is going to be supported in the long term - and they responded that C# does not have priority. Both DarkGDK C++ and DarkGDK C# are both supported equally.

Earlier I asked about C# and other DarkBasic Products - like Dark Physics - and the response was that they are working hard now to make all the products work together

So putting it all together - REST ASSURED that DarkGDK C++, DarkGDK C#, and DarkBasic Pro are still going string and all the add on products are making their way to work as a suite regardless of your language of choice!

This is very VERY good News to me. Good Job TGC! Keep at it! I'll buy more stuff I promise Hint: Get those tree and plant products working a bit nicer for us. They seem to BlitzBasic oriented from what I've read anyways.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:15:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:15:13