Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New to Dark GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 12:11 Edited at: 13th Sep 2007 12:33
Hey, i've used both DarkBASIC and C++ on many occasions before and i am currently waiting for my Dark GDK order to be processed. I was just wondering what are the limitations of Dark GDK compared to simply using other directx libraries; like any speed/performance limitations. Also, is Dark GDK basically a library for C++ or is it just DarkBASIC with a c++ syntax?

P.S - This is an unrelated question and probably belongs in another forum, but would it be difficult to find pre-animated 3D models for download?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 23:15
Quote: "Hey, i've used both DarkBASIC and C++ on many occasions before and i am currently waiting for my Dark GDK order to be processed."

Congratulations!

Quote: "I was just wondering what are the limitations of Dark GDK compared to simply using other directx libraries; like any speed/performance limitations."

Compared to other directX Libs? No Idea. DirectX itself - 200 lines to get a simple screen? I'll take DarkGDK Thank You

Performance Limitations? Um... I have a slow machine and its a heck of a lot faster than DarkBasic Pro. I mean WAY faster. Compared? Again - no idea to other DX API's like this one. I don't know that to many even exist. I know there are a couple but from what little I've heard - this is where you might want to hang out for awhile.

Quote: "Also, is Dark GDK basically a library for C++ or is it just DarkBASIC with a c++ syntax?"

Its a Library. In C# - you need to enter a mile long license string and install a license checker like support app for people to be able to run your app - but it is easier to use due to it being C#.

In C++ its also a library but without that license file headache, its faster than C# and dbpro, but set up is a real pain and you need to comb the forums and read the help to get it going. Takes awhile to do - but once done - its done.

Welcome!

Barbarian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 02:33 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 02:33
thank you very much for the help jason p sage, just had my order confirmed, and now i have a problem

i copy/pasted some sample code from Readme.txt (one of the text files included in the Dark GDK) and i got 4 compile errors (5 initially, but i changed the project setting to multithreaded and it worked). Anyway, here's the error

and here's the source code

if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong, it'll be appreciated. I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, i don't normally use it much nor do i compile win32 applications much, so an explanation in newby terms will be greatly appreciated.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 03:23
@Barbarian - You're Welcome. I hope someone has the links I wanted to send you - the one I was thinkning of was for Visual Studio Express though - you have a better version...

Quote: "but set up is a real pain and you need to comb the forums and read the help to get it going. Takes awhile to do - but once done - its done"

Hard fact of life above there - but I'd start with making sure you have the DLL's hwere they should be (think install handles most of that) make sure you DL the recommended DirectX version - I THINK oct 2006 but you need to start googling for all this ... that's all I got bro got to run and do an errand

Barbarian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 03:40 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 03:48
alright, thanks for the advice

EDIT: after some searching around, it seems that MSVS 2005 might not even be compatible with Dark GDK? if this is the case, can someone tell me, cause i can always just download and install the express edition.
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 07:24
I am using Visual Studio 2005 and DarkGDK.NET is working fine, I do not have DarkGDK C/C++ edition. With those linker errors maybe its a missing include file or maybe you need the right version of direct X?

DirectX v9.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

I would try doing the direct X update first, if that doesn't work maybe it is something with Visual Studio 2005.

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
Barbarian
Years of Service
User Offline
yay, i finally got it working, i think. The problem was that i had the wrong version of directx sdk and also some other 400mb file i had to download. anyway, thanks postalcow and jason p sage for helping me.
PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 20:19
With the ocean of questions I'm posting here I'm glad I was able to help someone else! Have fun man!

PS-Your Message board Avatar rules.

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 22:42
@Barbarian - You're welcome Glad I could help.

@PostalCow - This place is great to visit isn't it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:19:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:19:17