Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Question about Online Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, i hope this isn't considered spamming, i had no idea where to put this post, but i would like to learn about making online games. I know almost nothing about the internet, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend some decent books/resources. Also, i'm not going to actually try making any online games for a while, i just want to learn the related theory.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 15:16
I'm no expert - but if you can make a tiny game (like you did via your 3d pong) and can jump into learn about UDP and TCPIP (Two common "specifications" for communication over a IP based lan (like the internet) and how to get WinSock (Windows DLL / API) or some other tool (that sits on top of winsock) or even try your hand in Linux (sockets library) and can get a chat server/client going - just to type messages from one machine to another - You're well on your way.

I know we are mostly C++/C# here - but I code in FreePascal ALOt and I have this guy's home made web server - its not multithreaded like mine or anything but its REAL REAL small.. the whole thing in under a 1000 lines!!! (Which isn't much) It is mostly comments - a russian kid did it but the networking part is only a few lines - the rest is http stuff mostly whech is just text riding on the TCP/IP protocol.

Its called nYume .. yup - didn't misspell - nYume you might find it online - if not I have it so ask. P.S. FReePacal is SO easy to read compared to C++ - it reads like BASIC but is as fast C++.

Barbarian
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome, thanks for the help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:23:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:23:48