Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Terrain from Heightmap question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 01:36
Alright I've been trying to master the whole terrain thing and finally got the terrain from heightmap to load properly. My next question is how do I make it larger? Do I make just a larger height map (2048x2048 or more) or is there a way to make rolling hills over a much larger area?

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2007 02:20
This is the biggest "Terrain Settings" I've been able to muster with DBPro - I think the DarkGDK Terrain is exactly like the DBPro:

Setting Split higher than what I have (16) chokes it - at least using a 2048x2048 image with a 1024x1024 height map. Note Bigger Height Map? I couldn't get it to go higher. Same for Texture.

I assume DarkGDK will be the same deal. (Almost at the part where I can test for myself - rewriting Iron Infantry in DarkGDK)

The Settings

The Load Terrain Function

Hope this is somehow useful bro

PostalCOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 19:25
Does the iSplit command make muptiple tiles of the terrain? For example, if I use iSplit 16 it will make 16 of my terrains wide by 16 of my terrains tall?

Also, is there a way to put in fog? As it stands I can see all the way across my terrain to where it ends and it looks a little silly because the world just ends.

Do you use height mapped terrain for Iron Infantry?

Requirements for life: Food-Water-Video Games!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 20:07 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 20:08
Quote: "Does the iSplit command make muptiple tiles of the terrain?"
Naw bro. I think what is does is break it up into TILES BUT makes them LIMBS - so your landscape is AS IS just divided into smaller sections so the terrain can split up to lower drawn poly count to only the terrain within the Camera view. This is why it performs so well if you ask me.

Quote: "Also, is there a way to put in fog?"

I hope so! I haven't got to this in DarkGDK yet - but I'm certain there is a fog command. In Iron Infantry (dbPro version) I used:

See the last bit "From Game Creators? that's referring to the skycolor someone suggest for the best "Humidity" in the distance look - 175=red, 200=green, 255=blue.

Quote: " As it stands I can see all the way across my terrain to where it ends and it looks a little silly because the world just ends."

Make sure you examine the Fog Range and Camera Range. I always set my fog range quite a bit less than camera range - so I don't see things "Stop" from camera not drawing that far - By doing this the fog pretty much conceals the actual camera range.

Quote: "Do you use height mapped terrain for Iron Infantry?"
BOY you touched on a NERVE with this question!!!!

... but not because of any will on your part!

answer: YES I DO. However this may change - but I'm in a quandry. The Advanced Terrain(AT) or (DarkGDK Terrain..I think its the same as DBPro AT) runs wonderful - high frame rates. I can change the Scale to lower or increase poly - until I get a look/speed I can live with.

I Bought T.ED3 - Which does some Really cool things!!! (A terrain editor) But the loading process is rather invoved if you want to have "WYSIWYG" or "What You See Is What You Get" (for those of you who might not know what that meant) which is a bummer but its doable.

The frame rates for having a Direct-X terrain - well - stink. I guess you'd have to do what they did in AT (advanced Terrain) with the tiling to get performance. Another bummer.

One of the cool things about the T.Ed editor is that you can place folliage and buildings etc all in the editor.. but trying to get the ditor to work with the big landscapes I'm using (AT) is not reasonable with that program. the hills go out side of the "WorkArea" by ALOT!!!! So maybe I have to scale it down - and then "scale it back Up" when I load the game - (because it does have a height map export) But you don't get ththose cool "burned in shadows" like you do with directX because you can have multi layer (and multiple) textures - where Advanced Terrain has one "texture" draped across the whole thing.

HENCE my Raw Nerve. I want to be able to have a good Level editor that produces media I can use in game - I'm still trying to make that happen. that is the BIG PIECE I need to figure out before I'm back to driving tanks, flying choppers in DarkGDK.

Good Luck with yours.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:25:45