Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Can't build Release :( Something about Precompiled headers...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 14:56 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 15:01
[edit] this is WITH precompiled header option[/edit]

I Tried - Not using Precompiled headers.. putting stdafx.h in my source files... debug works - I can't build a Release... AAHHHH (Not that I'm ready for release yet anyway ) But I need to get past this error that comes up in VSX2005 that shouldn't be an error - and isn't for anyone else - so If I can compile a release - 1: I know I can 2: I can test code that uses the dbMakeImageFromMemblock function.. which in VCX has warning dialog every time I call it.

[edit]this is without precompiled header

[/edit]

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you get this is you set up for a win32, instead of a win32 console app.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
also... check your tools|options|projects and solutions|vc++ directories|library files entries...

make sure you have both the paths for the \lib\vs8debug and the \lib\vs8 listed in there...

then, you've gotta use the arrows to move the \lib\vs8 (release libs) so that it is above the \lib\vs8debug (debug libs) entry... this way it gets used before the debug libs when compiling...

move the debug libs path back above when compiling debugging versions...

i hope this helps

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 15:23
I think I did set it up as console - because the debug works.

(Thanx for responding BTW)

I just added the c:\rpogram files\the game creators\darkgdk blah blah\lib\v7\ directory to the Release configuration as a "additional" directory in the linking section...

That got rid of some linking errors - now it want's libc.lib - so I'm searching for it as I'm typing this...(Though I don't know if I should be linking to v7, v8 or whatever...)

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 15:32 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 15:34
i'm using visual c++ express 2005 which sets up a visual studio 8 directory... so that the one i link to...

also... here's a quote from the thread above relating to possible issues for the 07 gdk release...

Quote: "* changed to statically linking into the C++ runtime libraries, this is an important change so please note the following with your projects, we now have debug and release libraries, for debug projects link into the libraries in the VS8Debug folder and ensure your code generation is set to multi threaded debug (/MTd), for release projects link into the libraries in the VS8 folder and ensure your code generation is set to multi threaded (/MT), a side effect of this is that Visual Express users will need to add atls.lib into the ignore libraries section, currently looking into this problem and hope to have it resolved in the next release "

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 15:34
That Was it Red - Thanx both you guys - I'm quite Happy - It needs the v8 files - and I didn't need to specifiy for debug for some reason - so I'll remember the the order of the directories as a thing to look out for - but my "directory" list in linked section for Release config - just has the v8. that was the final glue!

Thanx - I'm quite psyched - getting closer to the GAME part

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 16:05 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 16:28
Quote: "I'm quite psyched - getting closer to the GAME part "

hahaha great!!!

as for me... i've still got some fundamental classes to whip up before i can start to have fun with the game logic portion of my stuff... but hopefully, if i've done everything correctly, the objects will only need to be dropped into the game environment, and they will start acting like real objects, and the game will take on a life of it's own...

hahahaha yeah, right ... i must be dreamin'

anyways, i'm creating a water class right now, based on Evolved's Water shader... it was a real pain porting the logic over... making sure everything integrated properly with exisiting View, Sky, classes (i'm using default placeholders for the Sky images right now), and i'm still having problems with the clipping planes (see below)...

... but i should (hopefully) get that solved within a few hours.

the objects in the water are under the water plain, and are examples of animating and spinning objects, just in the scene as reference points... and there are two sprites which represent lights... positions i'll be using for the shader effects in the next classes...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 18:09 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 18:09
DUDE - PLEASE let me have or let me know where to find that shader! That kicks but - I've only been able to use a blue plain - ghosted so far!

(Some other guy who had one that looked cool was like "You have to pay me" which is fine but... my wife is mad at the amount of stuff I buy for making games as it is! Especially with Calligari GameSpace on the horizon of my "Absolutely need that" list!)

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
it' one of Evolved's shaders... go to his site http://groundzerodevelopment.co.uk/Module2.html and scroll down to the terrain + water shader demo...

if i make anything that generates some income i will definitely send him something for his work, as it would've taken me many, many months to come up with something even close... his name will be on the credits as well...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 19:15
Thanx! Snagged it all!

(One question so I can gauge my shoddy setup)

What FPS did you get running his dbpro TerrainWater Demo? I got 6-7 full screen. (not any room for game )

unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey mike thats look since. I love his shader as well. Rather intriguing that you have it in a class. I finally got the water working but the code was a mess to get it so. I was going to work on a class but ran out of time.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 19:49 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 19:53
@ jason...

my setup aint no speed burner either... i'm running a 1.8 gHz celeron with a geforce7300 and a lil over a gig of ram...
i'm getting 39-40 fps in 1024x768x32 in the dbPro version... according to db's frame rate function...

@ unitech...

thx uni... the real credit goes to Evolved for his shader... it does really look nice... does a real nice job refracting the objects partially submerged...

i have the code segmented up in DBPro (don't remember if i did it or if that's the way the code came originally)...

the DBPro function MakeWater() became my Water class's constructor in c++...

the mainloop (do.. loop) in DBPro, i converted over to my water class's Update() method in c++...

two other functions (UpdateReflection() and UpdateRefraction()) were ported to Water::UpdateReflection() and Water::UpdateRefraction()... which are called by Update()...

the real pain was keeping track of the variables and object and image numbers during the port... i wound up using my lil object/image/mesh/etc number factory and ignored the actual object/image numbers... using a variable to keep em, and naming the variable so that it would be easy to keep track of...

i've still got a small rotation issue to resolve, but the clipping stuff i just got done...

after all this is finished, i'm gonna add some reaal wave action... most likely outside of the shader code... seeing as i'm still scared to mess with that stuff ...

--Mike
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 20:33 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 20:33
I would love to see the wave bit, I could not get that part working at all. I was hoping to use his shader for an ocean effect. Sounds like you did the same approach . I had all of those function, and to had to use my ID.getID() for id's. Would be really something to see it all kicked of from one line of code. water = new addWater( Cam1, Cam2, SkyBoxID ); or what ever was needed to create it I forget, then water.setHeight (5.01f ); and so forth.. Could be a nice have for many.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 20:41
I did Commercial fishing for a winter - was sick everyday but was the biggest guy on the boat because I was the "green horn" in the Hold below - (Not seeing the horizon made it QUITE nausiating! Poor submariners) - Because I was doing all the stacking (100lb totes - ice & fish - stacking so they dont tip over from WAVES and walking across them with wet rubberboots - standing only on the edges to preserve fish) hahaha - I ate lobster every day and was simply ripped when I finally told the captiain - take this job and $$%$@#%@# (Money was decent but NO WAY..limbing rigging in storms - wet - cold - oil - ice - sharks - or fall on deck and break something or die - ) ahah did it for awahile but I'll stick to a COOL Ocean Shader and be REALLY content with that!

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 20:58 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 20:59
here ya go uni...

i already got it done in DBPro... moving the code over to c++ and integrating it into the current class is gonna be fun (read un as sarcasm)...

anyways... this is what it looks like...

and here's the dbPro code for the demo...

sorry... the logic is not segmented for easy porting... basically, i'm using memblocks to warp the mesh... i hope you can make heads or tails of it...

--Mike
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 21:23
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline

i used some logic from a 3Impact implementation i did for the same thing... i wasn't sure it was gonna work, but it did...

--Mike
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 21:50 Edited at: 18th Sep 2007 22:03
Oh yes good ol' 3impact..
DBPRO makes my want to hurl. I hate basic... reminds me of being 8.

Mike Impressive.. I like it. cant wait to see how the progress goes.. Big thumbs up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 22:20:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 22:20:19